2 wheel drifter

Philly area machine shop recommendation?

I have a couple of extremely stubborn bearings that haven't been at all receptive to the hammer and punch that need to be extracted from a swingarm and a few new ones to press in.

Anyone know of a good machine shop in Philadelphia (ideally close to center city) appropriate for this sort of job?

Thanks for your help.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Check out thetoolwarehouse.net

It may be cheaper to buy an appropriate bearing puller than to pay somebody a minumum shop charge to do it for you.

2 wheel drifter
    I appreciate the input and have been looking into that option although the internal bearing diameter and swingarm configuration make it difficult to use a standard puller. I don't like the idea of buying tools that won't work so I figure it might be best to find an outfit that handles things like this, but buying a puller set is an option.

Anyone else out there have experience with a local machine shop in Philly?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Have you tried Bike Therapy? If it is a bike problem a good shop can fix it, tell you how, or likely knows where, to get it fixed. If it is a real serious situation you could ask Bilenky Cycle Works to have a look - they have a wicked set of tools.

2 wheel drifter
    Great lead with BCW - they definitely seem to know there stuff. At tleast from the webiste they look like just the right type of creative, detail oriented folk I'm looking for.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Wheel Wright Bike Shop in Abington, PA. Full machine shop in the basement and two of the best mechanics/interesting problem solvers I've ever worked with. We do this type of thing all the time...

mtbr member
    I'd give Stephen or Simon a call at Bilenky. They have done some pretty incredible repairs for me - including removing a frozen seat post. (How does that even happen????)

And if you bring a few quality brews, you might even get to hang out in the shop while they do it.
    Kenn Rymdeko
    "It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain

2 wheel drifter

Thank you

Thank you very much, these are great tips on Philly shops - it sounds like I have a couple of really good options (Bilenky and Abbington). I can't wait to get this frame rolling and the only piece missing has been a shop that could set me straight.

mtbr member
    If you haven't fixed the frame yet ... there is a full machine shop at Wissahickon Cycles in Philadelphia (Chestnut Hill section). They are the maker of Engin frames.