PMBA Beer Guy

Philadelphia Rally in the Valley!!!

What? Not a race, but a fun ride through the beautiful Wissahickon Valley at your own pace. For newcomers, a chance to get acquainted with this wonderful area of Philadelphia. For experienced riders, a chance to ride a marked course with other riders. For all, a chance to contribute to the ongoing efforts to sustain the park.

When? Saturday April 19th—Registration from 8am to 10:30am–rain or shine. Riders can proceed onto courses at their leisure.

Where? Wissahickon Valley Park in Fairmont Park, Registration & Parking from Northwestern Ave off Germantown Ave in Lafayette Hill, close to Chestnut Hill College.
    Google Map: “W Northwestern Ave, 19118”

Donation? $20 per adult rider. Kids age 12 and under are free with a paying adult. Benefits trailbuilding efforts of PMBA and Friends of the Wissahickon.

Course? 3-5 mile Recreational (on Forbidden Drive), 10 mile Intermediate trails, 15+ mile Advanced trails; plus a short Kids Course at the registration area.

Prizes? 1pm raffle and prizes. All paying participants receive a raffle ticket with a chance to win lots of bike-related stuff provided by our sponsors. Prizes donated to date include three mountain bikes and much more. Check the PMBA website for updates to the prize list.

Who should come? Anyone who likes riding in beautiful wooded surroundings. Hybrid bikes are OK on Forbidden Drive. Mountain bikes are necessary for trail riding. Some parts of the trails route may be challenging for less-experienced riders.

[SIZE="4"]Helmets are Mandatory for all participants![/SIZE]

What is PMBA?

The Philadelphia Mountain Biking Association is an organization of mountain bikers from the Philadelphia area who are dedicated to enjoying and improving the trails. Organized in late 2006, the club now has more than 165 supporting members. Members organize rides each day at Wissahickon Park, and often at other local areas. The website at www,phillymtb.org provides a central meeting spot for member activities.

PMBA believes that those who enjoy the trails should also take part in maintaining them. Through our association with the Friends of the Wissahickon and the Fairmount Park Commission, we have participated in more than a dozen work projects to date, and have completed several significant trail maintenance projects. We believe that sustainability is the key to successful trails, and have worked to develop key skills to building long-lasting trails. PMBA sponsors trail maintenance days on the fourth Saturday of every month. The Rally in the Valley helps provide funds to purchase tools and other necessities for these projects.
    Board Member Philadelphia Mountain Biking Association (http://www.phillymtb.com)

mtbr member
    I ll be there. Thanks Rico

PMBA

Rally BBQ

This is a great cause to help keep a positive bike vibe on the trails. It promises to have a real festival vibe to it with all the local bike shops showing their support. Word is there is going to be two BBQ competition champions at the Rally giving away good eats. So even if the event gets rained out, we are still going to have great food to eat and great prizes to raffle off. Mark your calenders and don't miss it!
    Keep crowded trails friendly. Go by slow and say "hello"
    Tom Coyle www.phillymtb.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Looks like this could be fun!
    Last edited by CazzaMazza; 04-15-2008 at 06:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    id like to bring the wife and kids do i need a permits first?? u need permits foe wissahickon correct
    or am i i just totally lost

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I dont think permits are required for the rally in the valley killzone. Just have to chuck in some coin to ride the marked routes!

PMBA Beer Guy
    While you technically should have a permit, and recommend you get one when you can, it won't be a problem not having one this upcoming Saturday.

We are asking for a $20 donation which benefits trailbuilding efforts of PMBA and Friends of the Wissahickon.
    Board Member Philadelphia Mountain Biking Association (http://www.phillymtb.com)

mtbr member
    You are supposed to have a permit, but from what I have heard, it is not enforced. I rode there yesterday and there was no enforcement. Bring em along!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    i have no problems making a donation at all. i just dont think we can get permits in time. my wife and the want to get them soon. we are new to the scene and would like to ride there

mtbr member
    I am in the same boat. I don't think you need to worry about the permit for the Rally. I am going to get a permit to support the park, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. You should be fine on Saturday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    kool

thanx for all the help hope to see you there

PMBA Beer Guy
    Ditto, ditto, ditto.

You will be fine without a permit on Saturday. Glad to see you can come out!!!!!

Rock Star!!!
    I was in Philly for Xmas but didn't bring my bike. I took a ten minute drive to Valley Green Inn from Glenside and the place was awesome, It looked like THE place to ride in Philly. I wish I was attending the rally......I will definitely be riding Valley Green next time I come up there..
    Collaborate,Ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    had a blast today wife and kids went had a great time. i even won a set of juicy 5 brakes at the raffle. wife snatched them up.

A pretty big turn out

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by killzone
    had a blast today wife and kids went had a great time. i even won a set of juicy 5 brakes at the raffle. wife snatched them up.

A pretty big turn out
    yeah congrats on the brakes. im the guy that won three times on the other side of the tent where they were drawing the tickets. way more people than last yeer, super duper turn out i musy say.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Awesome time at the Rally! My fiance and I had a blast. We met some cool people, went on some fun rides and loved the food! The pork was incredible. We hope to help out on some trail maintence days in the future,and to join on some group rides.

It was a great event.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    we are working on our permits and hope to be out there real soon. although my lefty blew out again!!

PMBA Beer Guy
    Glad to see that you guys had a good time on Saturday. I loved every minute of it.

Thanks for the support!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Pretty sure permits are old news there now. There is actually a club called "PIMBA" that you can be a member. They have good relations with "Friends of the Wissahickon."

PMBA Beer Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycloud32
    Pretty sure permits are old news there now. There is actually a club called "PIMBA" that you can be a member. They have good relations with "Friends of the Wissahickon."
    Permits are not "old news" there now and while PMBA (Philadelphia Mountain Biking Association) has a great relationship with the Friends of the Wissahickon, FOW http://www.fow.org does not regulate the park. That is done by the Fairmount Park Commission, which does REQUIRE permits for all trail users. You can get a permit application here:

http://www.fairmountpark.org/pdf/Tra...pplication.pdf

While the use of permits is not strictly enforced, we encourage all trail users to apply for and get a permit. If you use the park you should support it, by obtaining a trail permit, volunteering on the regularly scheduled trail maintenance days, etc.

More information about trail maintenace cam be found at http://www.phillymtb.com and http://www.fow.org

...once again, thanks for your support.

PMBA
    Rico is right. Although the permit rule is not being strictly enforced, every once in a while I talk to a rider that says he got busted by a ranger for not having a permit. I will admit it's been over a year since I've heard it, but still it's better to support the park's system in the name of being good stewards on the trail.

The rally was awesome. It really had a festival feel to it. Thanks very much to all that came out!
    Keep crowded trails friendly. Go by slow and say "hello"
    Tom Coyle www.phillymtb.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I want to ad my 2 cents. The Rally was a huge success and I'm very proud of all who came out and participated. Thanks to everyone.

The trail permit fee is a "suggested donation"; you don't actually have to pay anything for it. But one of the reasons why the Fairmont Park Commission has been supported of biking, even before PMBA, is because they've raised a lot of money from those who have made the donation, and they don't get any discretionary trail funds like this from any other user group.

Over 500,000 people are using the trails and the park each year. The FPC is grossly underfunded so they rely on organizations like the Friends of the Wissahickon and now PMBA to get things done. I heard that in the 70's the Commission had enough funding to employ over 70 park rangers where now they have just two!

In this regard FOW has recently begun a stewardship program where they are training volunteers to act as ambassadors for the park. They will help educate users and answer questions from history to flora and fauna, and a couple of PMBA members have joined their first training course.

The Wissahickon is probably the greatest urban MTB location in the United States. If any of you are interested in helping out the best thing you can do is first, come ride the place and have a blast, and second join up with PMBA and/or the FOW and come volunteer at the trail days.

cmh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by killzone
    Congrats on the brakes -- I had my ticket in for them as well.

Great fun at the Rally! Thanks to everyone at PMBA who volunteered!

mtbr member

Wissahickon Trail Permits

Thought this would be appropriate to post... Here is the link to acquire a Wissahickon / Pennypack trail permit - http://www.fairmountpark.org/TrailPermits.asp

Take this for what it is worth.... I once got popped for not having a pass around 1992. The Ranger gave me a copy of this form and told me to fill it out, photo copy it with my check and mail it in. Since the process took a couple weeks, he told me to carry the photocopy with me until I got the pass. Ironically, a month later I got stopped again and had the photocopy with me. The ranger said thank you for the support.

Now I don't know if that holds true today, but it beats not going riding. On a side note... I have not seen another Ranger in the Wissahickon park since that second time in 1992.

THE RALLY - The Rally was a blast! The group that I came down with said it was the most fun we have had at an event in years. If you didn't make it this year, plan on it next year. Nothing like it goes on in this area, so go whether you have a pass or not.

There's a lot to do. Food, raffles, rides and most of all - really cool down to earth people.

Nice work PMBA and FOW.
    Last edited by kenn72; 04-23-2008 at 08:56 AM.
    Kenn Rymdeko
    "It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cmh
    Congrats on the brakes -- I had my ticket in for them as well.

Great fun at the Rally! Thanks to everyone at PMBA who volunteered!

my wife snatched up those brakes ASPA