Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,476

    philadelphia hell ride???

    when? 6-6-06 of course!

    where? start at the art museum, ride some backwoods hike-a-bike trail up through strawberry mansion, back onto kelly drive, up to wissahickon FOR THE WHOLE LOOP, then back down to belmont to ride sweet singletrack till we fall over....

    i wanted to add pennypack into the mix somehow but just don't see a feasible option... if you can think of any semi-easy way to get there and back by bike please pipe up!

    as is i bet this ride could be every bit of 40 miles so we don't really NEED more but...

    maybe start @ 7:06 AM (AKA 6:66). i dunno that could be too early for a group of mountain bikers

    bailing at any point will be pretty easy as we will never be far from a bail out point so even if you don't think your up for it come on out and go for as long as you can. my only trequirement would be that you are a decently capable technical trail rider. this ride will be pretty gnarly in sections and i don't want to be resoponsible for killing anyone...

    you have been warned; take the day off! you wouldn't want to work on the devils day anyway would you?

    so anyway if you want to come or have any suggestions to make this more "hellish" i would love to hear from you. i am gonna try this even if i am the only one so....
    Last edited by max-a-mill; 05-16-2006 at 12:25 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    374
    i like the course just not the day. do it on a weekend and i'm all over it.

    you could somehow involve FDR park. there's always some evil people down there.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,476
    i pioneered this route last summer and will be doing it again at least a few times this summer... but i am actually pretty booked for the rest of my weekends in june.

    you can't get a day off? or get sick for just a day?

    your just the type of rider we need!

  4. #4
    Respect Your Trails
    Reputation: dahoos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    329
    I'm interested.

    So I call out "sick" which would originally be a lie, thus breaking a commandment, sending me to hell. Appropriate for 6-6-06. But! After riding 40 miles like that, I very may well puke, in turn making my lie....true.

    Wow... too deep for me. I need a beer.

    Max, I'll try to be there. Be in touch.

  5. #5
    wot no bike?
    Reputation: pahearn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,056
    Is there really anything up there in the Strawberry Mansion area? Might be fun to explore if there is... what's it like, what kind of riding?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,476
    the strawberry mansion stuff is one stretch of really overgrown (but fun in sections) singletrack connected by little road sections. i honestly don't ride it much but hope to go through before the ride with a machette to clean it out a little so we can ride it more easily on the 6th.

    so come along on tuesday and i'll show you all i know.

    there is also a nice little piece of singletrack in wissahickon on the otherside of lincoln drive that we will ride tuesday that i bet you've never ridden before...

  7. #7
    pain don't hurt
    Reputation: TurboasT4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    160
    Ah, perfect. I usually have off on Tuesdays. That's quite a bit of riding.

    I'll try to be there.

  8. #8
    wot no bike?
    Reputation: pahearn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,056
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    so come along on tuesday and i'll show you all i know.

    there is also a nice little piece of singletrack in wissahickon on the otherside of lincoln drive that we will ride tuesday that i bet you've never ridden before...
    Hmmm I've always wondered what might be hidden over on the other side of Lincoln Drive, in fact I've looked at overhead photography and have seen what my untrained eye tells me might be evidence of trails. The plot thickens...

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    374
    oh, there is a trail. it's obviously not maintained like the rest of the park but it is quite rideable. there is one abrupt dropoff that you want to be looking out for or you will die. huhuhu

    it's looking more likely that i'll be calling out sick as well.

    oh, and there is no easy way to get from fairmount part to pennypack. you want to be doing that ride on a road bike or in a car.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,476
    righteous!!!!


    looks like we are gonna have a good crew here!

    i know at least a few of us (mybe even most) will be on singlespeeds (maximum pain sacrifice for the darklord dontchaknow).

    it's on!!!

    further reviewing the time i think 10am at the art museum is a much more firendly start time.

    and if you don't ride at least consider

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    374
    i would agree with the 10am start time.

    damn, i was gonna ride the full squishygearie but i guess i have no choice but to SS now.

    oh my, let me do something exactly the same as i do every other day. listen to slayer. think i could track down this d00d and borrow his bike?




    that's for the slayer site max. there's some funny **** on it.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,476
    full-squishies/geared/fixed all are DEFINITELY welcome!

    we love all bikes....

    i'll bring my ipod with reign in blood on it so in case you haven't gotten enough slayer in yet you can get a trailside fix basically anytime during the ride
    Last edited by max-a-mill; 05-18-2006 at 12:06 PM.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    26

    I'm in for the hellride

    But I would really appreciate it if you could flex a bit on the start time

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    342
    To make this a real hell ride and to stick with the 666 theme you should start at 6 am.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    374
    sorry, even satan likes to sleep in occasionally.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,476
    actually it should be 7:06 (aka 6:66)... but i agree worshipping satan on a bike is much better after a good nights sleep!

    but i hope 10am is good for everyone... any later and we might not make the whole ride before 4 or 5 and i'd like to be home for dinner. it should taste mighty good after this!

  17. #17
    cmh
    cmh is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    312
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceh
    oh, there is a trail. it's obviously not maintained like the rest of the park but it is quite rideable. there is one abrupt dropoff that you want to be looking out for or you will die. huhuhu
    Now when he says you will die, what he means is you will get run over by your buddy who was following you way too close and damn near runs your ass over when you brake really hard to avoid said dropoff that dumps you out on a roadway.

    Sounds like a plan, I will try to be there as well!

  18. #18
    wot no bike?
    Reputation: pahearn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,056
    Quote Originally Posted by cmh
    Now when he says you will die, what he means is you will get run over by your buddy who was following you way too close and damn near runs your ass over when you brake really hard to avoid said dropoff that dumps you out on a roadway.
    Damn, and I thought by "drop-off" he meant something that was huckable, screw that!

    Hmmm, the roadway you're talking about wouldn't happen to be Lincoln Drive, would it? Wasn't it just in the last year that a kid died by somehow falling down the hill onto Lincoln Drive? I can't remember if they said he was on a bike or not. Anyone remember that? At the time I was wondering what the heck he might have been doing up there, it seemed an odd place to be.

    -p

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    374
    actually no, the road we're talking about is Gypsy Ln

    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...,0.059395&om=1

  20. #20
    cmh
    cmh is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    312
    Quote Originally Posted by pahearn
    Damn, and I thought by "drop-off" he meant something that was huckable, screw that!

    Hmmm, the roadway you're talking about wouldn't happen to be Lincoln Drive, would it? Wasn't it just in the last year that a kid died by somehow falling down the hill onto Lincoln Drive? I can't remember if they said he was on a bike or not. Anyone remember that? At the time I was wondering what the heck he might have been doing up there, it seemed an odd place to be.

    It is huckable... I remember something like a 1-1.5' dropoff followed by a steep rooty/rocky downhill like 20' long... but it ends abruptly crossing the road. Looking at the wissa trail map I think it's Gypsy Lane. Just over #30 on last year's trail map.

    It would be rideable if you didn't have to worry about looking both ways while going on the steep downhill!

    All I remember clearly is doing a very unintentional nose wheelie while trying not to run over an unexpectedly stationary Lance.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,476
    Quote Originally Posted by cmh
    It is huckable... I remember something like a 1-1.5' dropoff followed by a steep rooty/rocky downhill like 20' long... but it ends abruptly crossing the road. Looking at the wissa trail map I think it's Gypsy Lane. Just over #30 on last year's trail map.

    It would be rideable if you didn't have to worry about looking both ways while going on the steep downhill!
    ah yes now i know exactly what you guys are talkin bout...

    i guess it would be even more rideable if it didn't transition so abruptly into the road... my friend has ridden it in years past but lately it looks sketchier everytime i go that way. now we both walk it.

    but cmh if you think it is rideable, i will stand on the road to block traffic. satan needs blood sacrificed!!!!

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    374
    ok so it's official, cmh is riding that dropoff. you heard it here first.

  23. #23
    cmh
    cmh is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    312
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    but cmh if you think it is rideable, i will stand on the road to block traffic. satan needs blood sacrificed!!!!
    ha! If I say I think it's rideable it doesn't necessarily mean by me! I try it and there def. is a blood sacrifice... and teeth, and bones, and dignity...

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    147
    cool. it seems i'm off on tuesdays now so it seems i can join in on the fun. where at the art museum is everyone meeting?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    374
    at the foot of the steps

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •