Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

philadelphia hell ride???

when? 6-6-06 of course!

where? start at the art museum, ride some backwoods hike-a-bike trail up through strawberry mansion, back onto kelly drive, up to wissahickon FOR THE WHOLE LOOP, then back down to belmont to ride sweet singletrack till we fall over....

i wanted to add pennypack into the mix somehow but just don't see a feasible option... if you can think of any semi-easy way to get there and back by bike please pipe up!

as is i bet this ride could be every bit of 40 miles so we don't really NEED more but...

maybe start @ 7:06 AM (AKA 6:66). i dunno that could be too early for a group of mountain bikers

bailing at any point will be pretty easy as we will never be far from a bail out point so even if you don't think your up for it come on out and go for as long as you can. my only trequirement would be that you are a decently capable technical trail rider. this ride will be pretty gnarly in sections and i don't want to be resoponsible for killing anyone...

you have been warned; take the day off! you wouldn't want to work on the devils day anyway would you?

so anyway if you want to come or have any suggestions to make this more "hellish" i would love to hear from you. i am gonna try this even if i am the only one so....
    Last edited by max-a-mill; 05-16-2006 at 11:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    i like the course just not the day. do it on a weekend and i'm all over it.

you could somehow involve FDR park. there's always some evil people down there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i pioneered this route last summer and will be doing it again at least a few times this summer... but i am actually pretty booked for the rest of my weekends in june.

you can't get a day off? or get <cough>sick<cough> for just a day?

your just the type of rider we need!

Respect Your Trails
    I'm interested.

So I call out "sick" which would originally be a lie, thus breaking a commandment, sending me to hell. Appropriate for 6-6-06. But! After riding 40 miles like that, I very may well puke, in turn making my lie....true.

Wow... too deep for me. I need a beer.

Max, I'll try to be there. Be in touch.

wot no bike?
    Is there really anything up there in the Strawberry Mansion area? Might be fun to explore if there is... what's it like, what kind of riding?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    the strawberry mansion stuff is one stretch of really overgrown (but fun in sections) singletrack connected by little road sections. i honestly don't ride it much but hope to go through before the ride with a machette to clean it out a little so we can ride it more easily on the 6th.

so come along on tuesday and i'll show you all i know.

there is also a nice little piece of singletrack in wissahickon on the otherside of lincoln drive that we will ride tuesday that i bet you've never ridden before...

pain don't hurt
    Ah, perfect. I usually have off on Tuesdays. That's quite a bit of riding.

I'll try to be there.

wot no bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    so come along on tuesday and i'll show you all i know.

there is also a nice little piece of singletrack in wissahickon on the otherside of lincoln drive that we will ride tuesday that i bet you've never ridden before...
    Hmmm I've always wondered what might be hidden over on the other side of Lincoln Drive, in fact I've looked at overhead photography and have seen what my untrained eye tells me might be evidence of trails. The plot thickens...

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    oh, there is a trail. it's obviously not maintained like the rest of the park but it is quite rideable. there is one abrupt dropoff that you want to be looking out for or you will die. huhuhu

it's looking more likely that i'll be calling out sick as well.

oh, and there is no easy way to get from fairmount part to pennypack. you want to be doing that ride on a road bike or in a car.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    righteous!!!!

looks like we are gonna have a good crew here!

i know at least a few of us (mybe even most) will be on singlespeeds (maximum pain sacrifice for the darklord dontchaknow).

it's on!!!

further reviewing the time i think 10am at the art museum is a much more firendly start time.

and if you don't ride at least consider

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    i would agree with the 10am start time.

damn, i was gonna ride the full squishygearie but i guess i have no choice but to SS now.

oh my, let me do something exactly the same as i do every other day. listen to slayer. think i could track down this d00d and borrow his bike?

that's for the slayer site max. there's some funny **** on it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    full-squishies/geared/fixed all are DEFINITELY welcome!

we love all bikes....

i'll bring my ipod with reign in blood on it so in case you haven't gotten enough slayer in yet you can get a trailside fix basically anytime during the ride
    Last edited by max-a-mill; 05-18-2006 at 11:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

I'm in for the hellride

But I would really appreciate it if you could flex a bit on the start time

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    To make this a real hell ride and to stick with the 666 theme you should start at 6 am.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    sorry, even satan likes to sleep in occasionally.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    actually it should be 7:06 (aka 6:66)... but i agree worshipping satan on a bike is much better after a good nights sleep!

but i hope 10am is good for everyone... any later and we might not make the whole ride before 4 or 5 and i'd like to be home for dinner. it should taste mighty good after this!

cmh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceh
    oh, there is a trail. it's obviously not maintained like the rest of the park but it is quite rideable. there is one abrupt dropoff that you want to be looking out for or you will die. huhuhu
    Now when he says you will die, what he means is you will get run over by your buddy who was following you way too close and damn near runs your ass over when you brake really hard to avoid said dropoff that dumps you out on a roadway.

Sounds like a plan, I will try to be there as well!

wot no bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by cmh
    Now when he says you will die, what he means is you will get run over by your buddy who was following you way too close and damn near runs your ass over when you brake really hard to avoid said dropoff that dumps you out on a roadway.
    Damn, and I thought by "drop-off" he meant something that was huckable, screw that!

Hmmm, the roadway you're talking about wouldn't happen to be Lincoln Drive, would it? Wasn't it just in the last year that a kid died by somehow falling down the hill onto Lincoln Drive? I can't remember if they said he was on a bike or not. Anyone remember that? At the time I was wondering what the heck he might have been doing up there, it seemed an odd place to be.

-p

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    actually no, the road we're talking about is Gypsy Ln

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...,0.059395&om=1

cmh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pahearn
    Damn, and I thought by "drop-off" he meant something that was huckable, screw that!

Hmmm, the roadway you're talking about wouldn't happen to be Lincoln Drive, would it? Wasn't it just in the last year that a kid died by somehow falling down the hill onto Lincoln Drive? I can't remember if they said he was on a bike or not. Anyone remember that? At the time I was wondering what the heck he might have been doing up there, it seemed an odd place to be.

It is huckable... I remember something like a 1-1.5' dropoff followed by a steep rooty/rocky downhill like 20' long... but it ends abruptly crossing the road. Looking at the wissa trail map I think it's Gypsy Lane. Just over #30 on last year's trail map.

It would be rideable if you didn't have to worry about looking both ways while going on the steep downhill!

All I remember clearly is doing a very unintentional nose wheelie while trying not to run over an unexpectedly stationary Lance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cmh
    It is huckable... I remember something like a 1-1.5' dropoff followed by a steep rooty/rocky downhill like 20' long... but it ends abruptly crossing the road. Looking at the wissa trail map I think it's Gypsy Lane. Just over #30 on last year's trail map.

It would be rideable if you didn't have to worry about looking both ways while going on the steep downhill!
    ah yes now i know exactly what you guys are talkin bout...

i guess it would be even more rideable if it didn't transition so abruptly into the road... my friend has ridden it in years past but lately it looks sketchier everytime i go that way. now we both walk it.

but cmh if you think it is rideable, i will stand on the road to block traffic. satan needs blood sacrificed!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    ok so it's official, cmh is riding that dropoff. you heard it here first.

cmh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    but cmh if you think it is rideable, i will stand on the road to block traffic. satan needs blood sacrificed!!!!
    ha! If I say I think it's rideable it doesn't necessarily mean by me! I try it and there def. is a blood sacrifice... and teeth, and bones, and dignity...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    cool. it seems i'm off on tuesdays now so it seems i can join in on the fun. where at the art museum is everyone meeting?

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    at the foot of the steps

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    yeha this is less than a week away...

i am up to my @ss in house projects but am hopefully gonna go slip into the woods this sunday with my machette...

TO CLEAR TRAILS OF COURSE!

come on down the the unofficiallist most sufferinest ride that i could think to do without too much road riding!

we meet at the art museum front steps at 10am and then we roll!

BE THERE BY 10!!!!

bring lots of water (especially if it is hot) and a couple tubes. there is one stop for water and snacks (valley green) along the way.

i ain't got nuttin for ya if your equipment brakes so just be warned this ride is pretty much self supported (but this is philly so your never too far from something).

there will be opportunities to cut off sections of the ride so if your unsure you can make it all the way around, come anyway! but be warned the pace will be kind of brisk so we can get THE WHOLE ride in before it gets too late.

lots of these trails are also pretty technical in spots so be prepared.

free beer at belmont when we are done (hopefully)

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    bring lots of water (especially if it is hot) and a couple tubes. there is one stop for water and snacks (valley green) along the way.
    damn, i was hoping to stop at bruno's for a pork roll sandwich or 2.

cmh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceh
    damn, i was hoping to stop at bruno's for a pork roll sandwich or 2.
    lunch stop?

So lance, how's the probably broken bones? Hell ride should be interesting with that and the 12 O'muchy under your belt...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    free beer!?! awesome!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by too40sx
    free beer!?! awesome!
    victory hopdevil of course!

i am going out this weekend to clear trails.

weather is lookin good!

tuseday we ride b!tches....

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    just an fyi
    i'm currently under the weather with the flu and won't be going to allamuchy this weekend, even though i already paid, so that puts me at questionable for tuesday. i have nothing on the books for the next 3 days but to rest so hopefully that will do the trick.

mtbr member
    Max, I talked to lou and he sounded pretty interested, I'll send him this way to let you know, or perhaps on Bikemag, I think he has an old account there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    is this a rain or shine kinda thing. weather.com isn't forecasting the greatest day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    considering that none of us will be alive the next time this date comes around i'm gonna say yes.

weather forecast is improving
    http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/...eekday=Tuesday

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    it's STILL ON!!!!!

the weather doesn't look half bad.... i went out and "cleaned" some of the strawberry mansion stuff yesterday. it is still pretty rough in there but somewhat rideable.

i am working on making sure at least a case of cold beer awaits us at the finish. (lance i'll PM you as soon as i figure anything out, hopefully i can get someone else to bring it).

one final caution: if your REALLY allergic to poison ivy i suggest some long socks for the first part of our ride. i did my best cleaning it yesterday but i can't promise i got all of it THERE WAS A LOT!!!! i will warn you all before this section, it can easily be avoided if you don't even want to chance it.

see you all tomorrow @ 10 by the arrt museum steps. my name is max, i'll be riding a stupid big yellow rigid singlspeed 29er.

i am really excited! this should be lots o fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    a hell of a ride! thanks max

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    oh yea, got an email from patrick...only four stitches

wot no bike?
    Any pics? I was planning on going but my schedule would allow it. The weather seemed perfect.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    gald to hear patrick's ok. looked like he may have needed a few quarts pumped back in him.

pix will be up on pbase when chris gets around to it. http://www.pbase.com/cmh

i'll write up a summary report when i get caught up at work.

thx again to max for organizing the ride, thanks to trophy bikes for the beer and thanks to dan an laura for the food.

Respect Your Trails
    Wow. Stiches, blood, and beautiful weather.
    I wish my schedule would have allowed me to make it. Can't wait to hear more about the ride and check out the pics once their up.

Trail eater
    Im jealous too. I couldnt take the day off and ride with you guys. It sounds like everyone had lots of fun. Like dahoos, I cannot wait to see the pics either
    Climb like a goat, descend like a banshee

cmh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pics are uploaded!

Pics are up!

http://pbase.com/cmh/hellride

Not many pics, unfortunately. Towards the end I was spending more time trying to remember how to pedal than planning photo ops. I don't suggest looking at the pics of Patrick's elbow if you have a weak stomach...

Travis was also looking for the pics from the hostel... the pics on pbase are scaled down, lemme know where to send them and I can send the full size originals.

Thanks to Max for organizing a great ride, and to everyone for being there and being cool... and especially thanks to the folks who brought food!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

philly hell ride 6/6/6 ride report

ok, caught up enough for a full day report. time to write a book.

so much for sleeping in on my day off. got up at the same time as i normally do to be on the road by 8 to meet max at 9:15. cmh and i drove to the lot on lincoln drive and began to unload. max showed up a few minutes later as he biked down forbidden drive from home. all parties commented on how inappropriate a beautifully sunny "hell day" really was but we were all secretly glad.

shortly after 9 the three of us head out over the wooden bridges towards kelly drive and our rendezvous point at the steps of the art museum. we banter back and forth about all things bike related during the ride down and arrive at about 9:35.

we stretch out on the steps 4 tour buses pull up along the curb and 17000 kids in total pour out of them. they all run up the steps and within 2 minutes all run back down the steps for a photo opp. as cmh and i start joking about how funny it would be to start taking a leak or rubbing one out at the top of the steps above them they are all told to get back in the bus or they wouldn't meet their scheduled arrival at ellis island by 12:30. WTF was the point of their stop? play rockey for a day or something? so strange.

as the busses are taking off the rest of the troops start rolling in. i seem to remember everyone's name except for one and i apologize for that. the total cast of characters was a follows.
    me (lanceh)
    chris (cmh)
    max (max-a-mill)
    eric
    dave
    laura (ExiledSSgirl)
    dan
    travis
    jeff (too40sx)
    patrick
    keith (big_keith)
    d00d on the cannondale 1FG, sorry that i didn't get your name

we all knew it was gonna be an interesting day when jeff approaches the group walking his bike. double flatted w/ no spare tubes. satan strikes. we throw a few tubes at him and relax some more as repairs are performed

the cavalry takes off up kelly drive and turns onto fountain green drive, crosses under the train tracks and heads left into the woods. this is the section that max "cleared" for us on saturday. i'll give him credit in that it was obviously in better shape than what it must have looked like last week but it's not what i would call ride able. just too many downed trees. best part about it is we get no more than 3 minutes into the trail and satan strikes at max for putting us on this silly trail. broken seatpost. fortunately i had a spare post in my car parked at wissahickon but until then max was forced to ride with the remaining post and seat which had to have been 6" shorter than what he's used to.

we make our way through this trail and along a couple of roads to wind up at the strawberry mansion bridge. this is about the time where keith had to say his goodbye’s as he had to go back to work, and then there were 11. sukker. across the brige and into some trails that follow along the side of 76. don't know if this part was considered belmont or not but eventually we wind up in belmont and all filter out onto Chamounix dr. patrick is the last one to come out of the trail and instantly we see why. his white shirt is covered in blood as well as his entire right arm from the elbow down. i haven't seen this much blood on one person since the texas chainsaw massacre. apparently he had fallen as some point not far back and by looking at how clean the cut was we all suspected he fell into some glass. it was a cut well in need of some stitches. travis had initially suggested heading up Chamounix to the youth hostel where he knows someone who works there but someone else happened to notice a police officer parked on the side of the road about 200 yards away. we all headed that way in hopes of getting patrick a ride to the hospital. i don't care what everyone else says that damn cop was sleeping. huhuhu. he was a nice guy and we packed up patrick's bike and off he went in the back of a cop SUV. satan strikes again. and then there were 10.

we head back up Chamounix to the hostile so travis can say hi to his buddy. the hostile recently acquired a 3-seater road bike that a few of the crew had to try out. so a few laps around the driveway kept us all entertained for 10 minutes or so. we snapped a few pix of everyone in front of the 3 seater and then were off again on some killer trail that dumped us on Falls Rd. across the falls bridge we go, a quick stop at the BP and a right onto ridge ave in search of the entrance to the lesser known trails on the east side of lincoln drive.

for those who don't know how to get to this trail just head west on ridge ave from the falls bridge and when you get to the point where ridge ave and the off ramp from city line ave meet look to your right. there will be a small open field and on the opposite side of this field is the trailhead. if you've gone under the bridge for lincoln drive you've gone too far.

this part of the day was uneventful. the trail is in much better condition than the last time i rode it. we did a bunch of trails i've ridden before and an bunch i've not ridden before. wound up at the end of the trail where lincoln drive and rittenhouse st intersect.

cross over lincoln and bike down to the lot where my car was parked so max could get a new seatpost and stop riding like he was making a guest appearance on american chopper. have some food and drink, complete the necessary repairs and we're off. back up the trail along lincoln to where the upper lot is and head left to the great singletrack on the east side of the creek. seems the park comission is doing some work over near park line dr. and ****ing up the trails. a nice short recovery singletrack downhill has now been turned into a runway. blah.

regrouped at the kitchens lane parking lot and headed out again. between recovering from the flu and a cracked rib i'm really starting to feel the miles at this point. oh well, satan's offering must be fulfilled. we all agree to stop by the inn to get water and a take a break, well all but chris. after about 10 minutes we realize he's not there which means he's continued on to the trails past valley green rd. try to call him a few times but no luck, right to vmail. i figured it would only be a matter of time before he realized that no one was in front or him or behind him. oh well, a few of us buy some pizza and gatorade and enjoy lunch. at this point the d00d on the 1FG takes off, and then there were 9. after another 10 minutes or so we decided to start the search party and take off down forbidden. turns out chris made it as far as rex trail. that boy has spunk.

since by this time it's about 2pm we decide to cut out the north end of the wiss for our ride and re-enter the west side trails at the next point. if you're familiar with the wiss you realize this is a very steep climb that gets steeper the closer you get to the top. then just when you think you're at the top there's a 90 bend in the trail and then it goes up a little more. this is a hill i'll normally make but not today, this will be a continually reoccurring theme for the remainder of the day.

next regroup point was where the trail dumps you out onto wise's mill rd. then again up near the boy scout camp area. seems some climbing group has set up a few trees for climbing and all the ropes were still there. eric hooked dan's pants with one of the climb and proceeded to give him a significant wedgie. reminded me of an old SNL skit called 'Wedgie Fever'. i just looked it up and the episode aired in '87, damn i'm old. at this point chris felt the need to continue on alone so he didn't stiffen up. the rest of us headed out about 10 minutes later.

as we're coming down that long rocky singletrack section that puts you near jannette st dave flats. he walks out to the gravel road and fixes the flat in the time it take travis to appear. needless to say travis is as fried as a big mac. we all continue on and regroup at "the cave". then we meet up with chris back on forbidden.

at this point we get a call from travis and he's sitting back at the lot on lincoln hoping to catch a ride over to belmont cause he was spent. chris and i had talked earlier about getting my car at this point of the ride and driving it over to belmont so we didn't have to ride back to the wiss after we finished up at belmont. good thing travis made that call because in the mean time chris and i had decided to suffer through it and continue riding. so the group took off towards belmont and i rode back up to the parking lot. when i arrived i noticed that my ipod, which was all cued up with Slayer's South of Heaven, was no longer in my car. satan strikes yet again. seems that at some point during the day either someone jimmied a door or a door was left unlocked. it could have been worse as chris' camera and my wallet were also in the car but it looks like whoever stole the ipod took only that because nothing else was touched.

travis and i drive over to belmont where everyone parks for the thursday races and then i'm off to join the rest of the group. travis relaxes by the cars and waits for his wife to arrive with a nice ripe watermelon, and then there were 8. i meet up with the group on Chamounix, we're we already here?, and then tackle the twists and turn that are the trails of belmont. i'm kind of glad that this was my first time on the trails at belmont because had i know what was coming i may not have left travis all by his lonesome. by this point i think it's safe to say everyone was dog tired and ready for the beer and burgers that awaited us upon our return to the parking lot. so after 3 short-ish loops we returned to chamounix and then across the grassy knoll to the delectable victory beer, sweet watermelon, tasty turkey burger and delicious hot dogs.

all told my computer read 35.26 miles with a ride time of 4h 13h 50s. some did more and some did less but all of us did more than enough. goodnight sweet satan. see you when i die. hopefully our great great grandchildren have sense enough to offer up a similar sacrifice in 100 years.

mtbr member
    Great write-up Lance. Sorry 'bout your iPod, that really sucks.

Prolly a good thing I had to work yesterday. I am sure if I had of joined the "pelton of the excommunicated", there would be an extra "Satan strikes..." paragraph dedicated to me and my lack of fi(t)ness

Hope your elbow is on the mend Patrick
    Thanks for the pics cmh - nice work
    Last edited by stymie; 06-08-2006 at 10:27 AM.

mtbr member

I believe it's SUCKAH!!

it seems satan struck me despite my excursion from the pack. only to get back to work to check my cell phone (which i was carrying) to find that my co-worker had left a message telling me not to hurry back as we were not going to have the meeting. so i thought i would continue with the upgrade that i was avoiding (and for good reason) later to find out that there was a seperate document from the install docs that noted** back up your data before upgrading..... DOH!!!!! no sooner i notice my mistake i get an email asking if i noticed this document before i upgraded.

all in all i dont give a **** about the stats that the University doesnt use but the folk that i spoke poorly of on that day use to validate their existance (listen to me)

all-n-all i wish I had stayed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    here is my version: THANKY YOU ALL FOR COMING! I HOPE EVERYONE HAD AS GOOD A TIME AS I DID!

so tuesday was just another day for us heathens.... except that the date happened to line up to the fabled numbers of the beast.

now being a suburban whiteboy raised on heavy metal i knew i could not let this day go to waste. something had to be done, we had to make sacrifices... if i was still in college i'da skrimped and saved to stockpile booze/drugs for that day but i am hopefully a little older and wiser now.... TAKE THE DAY OFF AND RIDE ALL DAY!

hellride.

the plan was to meet at the artmuseum and try to ride most (if not all) of two local parks trails with a few neat little connecters thrown in. well that was the plan anyway...

i rode in from my house meeting two fellow hellions along the way. we arranged to meet at the art museum at 10. we shoulda known when one of our guys came in walking his bike with a double-flat. satan was not gona let us off easy today.

we assemble and head for the first "trail". at this point i should mention that calling this a bike trail is giving it way too much credit. just days before i spent three hours making parts of it "rideable" but it was a hiking biking mess. about 500 yards in, on the first log of the day, SNAP, my carbon fiber seatpost gives up on life... i thought my ride was freakin over before it started. but i manage to rig it up real low; what a cool looking 29" bmx bike i had... too bad it sucked to pedal satnding 100% of the time, but it was hellride! unbelievably one of the guys had a seatpost magically stashed in his car along the route!!! i guess satan wanted to toy with me but he let me survive. i only had to make it there first (7-10 miles of sweet pedalling with my seat jamed all the way down).

we all made it through the first section of trail, and spirits were high. a quick descision to re-route was made to avoid a slog on the road. we were to ride some connecters at belmont to get us to wissahickon without too much roadie-ing.

at belmont, our first climb was a wicked one with a section that ends in what is known to some as "the bottle trail" for the ridiculous amount of broken glass that must have been dumped in that area long before the trail was made.

as we all appear out of the woods, our last rider comes out looking straight out of a horror movie. the bottle trail had claimed one of out riders. he had a DEEP gash on his elbow and we all quickly helped him decide it was hospital time. luckily, sleeping in his SUV near by, was one of phillies finest. we got our guy and his bike into the cops vehicle and he was off to the hospital. wow, this was getting interesting....

it just so happened that one of out riders had a slow leak and there was a youth hostel near by where another rider knew someone so we decided to headover for a flatfix before continuing on. next thing i know, three guys are flying around on a crazy three person bike... turns out the hostel guy is also a biker and loves crazy multi-person bicycles.

crazy injuries and equipment malfunctions were eating into our time. we still had to go ride wissahickon AND come back through belmont before beer, so off we went.

wissahickon was pretty uneventful, well really it wasn't but compared to the rest of the things that started the ride a couple flats don't really compare. i got a new seatpost (SITTING RULES, thanks lance) and we briefly lost chris (who went on to bag some of the hardest climbs of the day by hizzelf while we all sat around waiting for him at he inn eating pizza drinking gatorade).

after we found chris, the idea to ride EVERYTHING started to come unglued. it was going on 3pm and we still had miles to go. we cut off the northernmost part of wissahickon and make our way back to belmont.

around 4-4:15 we rolled out of wissahickon... a few more trails and there would be beer and burgers. OHHH YEAHHHH!

we rocked the three bestest flowiest trails at belmont and decided that was enough it was time to go enjoy the beer! we all had one hell of a day riding and it was showing... the attitudes were still great but you could tell the bodies were beatdown.

a short ride back to he cars in the belmont lot and we realize how freaking cool dan & laura are... i kind of pushed beer obligations on these two so i could ride in; they not only just did what was needed but went far above and beyond! there were TWO cases of cold beer, TWO grills, burgers, dogs, even motherfunkin cheese for the burgers... IT WAS AWESOME.

so the remaining survivors of the ride sat around, ate, drank, discussed biking, laughed like crazy, and generally seemed to enjoy how nice it was to be alive on planet earth at that moment! satan tried but he couldn't stop us, we played on his day.... it was awesome (i think i said that already but it really can't be said enough).

thanks to everyone for coming and being good sports on this somewhat disfunctional ride! especially dan and laura for hooking all of us beat people up with much needed alcohol and meat at the end of the day!

here are some pictures:

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    those pictures of the triplet are classic! great ride ever'one.

max- ready for that moots post yet?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    great ride. i'm glad i didn't have to bail out early cuz the dual flat thing. we'll have to find some other reason to do that again sometime.

cmh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Comments on Lance's story:

Lance forgot to mention me swapping brake pads in front of his house before we headed out. Lance, thanks for picking those up for me! I killed my pads in the <A HREF=http://pbase.com/cmh/twelveomuchy>Allamuchy (All-a-muddy) 12 hour endurance race</A> on Saturday and wouldn't have been able to ride without! The flipside is everyone knew where Chris and his improperly broken in pads were at any time... except, oddly enough, when I was alone in Wissahickon - the brakes stopped making noise, like I was trying to be stealth or something!

That first section of trail, okay, it was a bit rough, but let's be honest, Max didn't lie to us... quoting from his post to start this very thread:

start at the art museum, ride some backwoods hike-a-bike trail up through strawberry mansion...

Speaking of the triple or tandem or whatever you want to call it... I not only got pictures, I got a video:

<embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" align="middle" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-6672592015165833791" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" quality="best" bgcolor="#ffffff" scale="noScale" wmode="window" salign="TL" FlashVars="playerMode=embedded"> </embed>
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...92015165833791

As for me getting "lost" in Wissahickon, I think the decision to stop at Valley Green was made while I was walking up the hill where they were doing all that trail destruction. Either way, I was unawares and figured I'd just keep riding until I ran into the group again. I had been behind Max and ahead of you but when I got to the road I didn't see anyone so figured they had just continued on the way we normally go there -- across the wooden bridge with the "no horses" sign and onto the Indian trail.

Belmont was sweet. I never knew that stuff was out there. Unfortunately, I was so fried, and riding so slowly at that point, that when you factor in continental drift, I was actually going backwards. Thankfully everyone was patient for the weak-ass with gears.

Great writeup, Lance!

mtbr member
    is this the drop off you guys were talking about before the ride?

Sounds like an awsome ride, and one you have been talking about for a long time, I think as long as we have been riding together.

OT, We need to go for a ride, and sort out that fork swap. Think you can get out Friday evening? I might be home in the early afternoon and able to go pick up my new bb from the shop.

Back on topic, sort of, if thats the drop I think it is, it's on next time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast