mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Philadelphia Area Shops w/ Freeride exp.

I live in the Philly burbs and am looking for a shop that has experience working on freeride/DH bikes. Most of the shops I have been to around here look at me like I'm bringing in a space ship when they see a dual crown fork. Does any body know of a shop in the area that has a tech with experience with this.
    I just order a Marzocchi 888 and need it installed and set up for the 180mm setting, last time I had this done I took it to a shop in Philly and they messed it up pretty bad.

Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    there are a couple shops that have great service departments I'd Bikewroks in Harlsysivlle, or Wheel Wright in Abington. Both those guys are great.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Honestly, learn how to do it yourself if you are even a little afraid that a shop with screw it up. I started building my own bikes up because of this, including wheels!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Not knowing where you are in the vast Philly burbs, you could try Bean's Bikes in Paoli or JB Mountain Bikes out in Shillington. I'd go out to JB, but he's a rather long ride for a fork installation if you're close to the city.

mtbr member
    I have heard good things in regards to freeride/DH work from Wissahickon Cyclery in Chestnut Hill. But much like dagmz6s I started doing all of my own work for fear of someone either ripping me off or not knowing what they are doing. So far so good!
    ------------------------------------------------------------

He who dies with the most toys wins...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Plus, if you do it yourself and you mess something up, you have no one to blame but yourself. This is particularly useful when you taco the first wheel you build.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by dagmz6s
    Honestly, learn how to do it yourself if you are even a little afraid that a shop with screw it up. I started building my own bikes up because of this, including wheels!
    I would love to be able to do it myself but don't even know where to start. Any suggestions on a good way to learn, other than the take it apart and figure it out method. I'm a bit nervous to try with the new fork, if I make a big mistake it would be costly.

mtbr member
    I can understand not wanting to mess up on something like that fork. I've never been to this place but I've heard good things about Abington Wheel Wright. My best advice though is to call around or email some shops find out waht they can do for you. I know, living here in South Jersey there's not a shop around that I would trust to work on a downhill bike for me.

Dirt Diva Little h

Awwbs!

Abington Wheel Wright is your best bet, I got my 888 from one of the owners and they have dh bikes in the shop. Great knowledge and very nice.
    Blood Sweat Girls & Gears: ECTG rules
    X-Caliber
    Intense 5.5
    Nomad
    Uzzi VPX
    M1
    DMR sidekick
    Syren
    Double

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Quote Originally Posted by heather@thebakkers.com
    Abington Wheel Wright is your best bet, I got my 888 from one of the owners and they have dh bikes in the shop. Great knowledge and very nice.
    Heather:

Question: Why do you have so many pimp bikes?! Wait. Actually, don't answer that. Just know that I'm jealous

Lev

mtbr member
    I know one of the owners of Abington Wheel Wright. Those guys live and breath freeride.

PMBA
    The guys at Abington are very skilled at what a freerider needs. Who better to work on your bike than guys who ride the same way. Also talk to Jim at the Bike Line in Broomal. He's a great mechanic, loves to work on freeride bikes and a super nice guy.

www.phillymtb.com
    Keep crowded trails friendly. Go by slow and say "hello"
    Tom Coyle www.phillymtb.com

Lez go.
    I had Wissahickon Cyclery build up a couple of Mavic EX 729's before a week trip to Whistler last year. After that and a few Diablo trips afterwards, they're still true. Definitely recommend them for building bomb-proof wheels.
    Team C2G
    Jah is my copilot.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hi guys,
    I am looking for a store that has Troy Lee Helmets in Stock. Any ideas?
    Thanks!

Malte

mtbr member
    Call Abington Wheel Wright see if they do. They are the only shop I go to and are great, know most of the employees very well and can't say enough good about them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Keswick

We'd be more than happy to help you out. We work on everything (including recumbant trikes) so a dual crown fork won't be much of an imposition