mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Phila area steel frame repair sought

We were out on American Standard in Jim Thrope on Sunday and one of my buddies had a run in with a stick. Long story short, the derailleur hanger on his Fat Chance Yo Eddy is gone. After a moment of silence, we decided that he's got to get it fixed, so we're looking for local (Philadelphia area) frame builders that will be able to weld on a new dropout, possibly fabricate that dropout if needed, and weld on a disc mount and brace to the left side.

I've already suggested Peter Dreesens, but who else is around? I know Ken Early (Sniper Racing) is in Palmyra. Who else around here does MTBs?

Please list name, contact info and location for the people you suggest.

Thanks for helping to get a classic frame and a good friend back on the trails!

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Tom Kellogg of SPectrum cycles in Easton does incredible work on Steel and Ti

http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/contact.htm

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

I thought of that...

Quote Originally Posted by dwnhlldav
    Tom Kellogg of SPectrum cycles in Easton does incredible work on Steel and Ti

http://www.spectrum-cycles.com/contact.htm

but they are only a road-type company. Normally that would be fine, but if my buddy wants to put a disc mount on, Tom probably would not have the alignment guide for that. He does do brilliant work, though! Thanks for the suggestion.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    In that case my buddy left his welder at my house, I'll do a little practice then you can swing by with the bike and I'll see what I can do

Good lcuk. I know there are a few mtb builders in the philly area, wasn't there one just written up in a recent Dirt rag or Bike?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Check out these guys http://www.bilenky.com/table.html They should be able to hook your friend up.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

some more options

Sorry to hear about your friend's frame.
    Bilenky may be your best bet. The other main option would be Harry Havnoonian. He is known mainly for his excellent road bikes, but he did work on my mtb frame years ago. It was excellent work at a reasonable price.
    If either of these shops doesn't work, it may be worth it to call Drew at Wissahickon. He has recently begun building 29er frames with disk mounts, so may be familiar with the process and willing to take on the repair. The bike I saw in his shop looked very nicely welded, and I beleive one of his employees was formerly with Bilenky.
    Good luck, and be sure to post pics when it's done.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    HH or Bilenky may be good bets but both take FOREVER to get **** done. So, think about down time.

-scoon

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Awesome!

I'll pass on this information to my buddy. Hopefully he'll take some before and after pics for us. I'll keep you posted on what happens.

Thanks for the help, folks!

Jeremy

mtbr member
    WOW! I've never seen a topic like this one before. But talk about timing! I have a Trek 930 from 1996 and have gone through 4 complete rebuilds... As in new everything. I love this bike. My 4 other bikes have come and gone, mainly cause they couldn't pedal or ride like this one.
    Sunday, we're out riding at Prompton and with 100 yards left, a stick goes into the cogs and really screwed up the hanger. (Monday) Though I straightened it out in the shop, I started to think what I'd do if it ever broke. Bill pulls out qbp and shows me that they actually make replaceble dropouts for Chro-Mo frames! With disc tabs!!! I can't believe that we both have the same issues at the same time and that they make replacable hangers for these frames. ttyl, LarryFahn.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

no kidding!

Larry,

That's crazy. At least you were close to the end of the ride. We were a couple of miles deep in the woods, though it could have been a MUCH longer hike out for him. As it was, the other riders in the group would ride ahead, ride back to the casualty, ride ahead, etc. It made for some extra distance, but it sucked to know that someone was back there walking when there was sweet trail to be ridden.

But I digress, thanks for the heads up on the dropouts in Quality. I'll have to look into that. It would probably be easier for the person who does the work to replace both dropouts, especially if my buddy wants to add a disc tab.

Interesting coincidence, jttrails also had an incident at this same spot later in the day. His misfortune only affected the derailleur (his third dead derailleur in 6 weeks he tells me), not the frame itself. One of those days I guess!

Jeremy