Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Pennypack Park info/conditons thread

Hello All. I wanted to start a Pennypack thread because these are my local trails.

The Pine road entrance to Pennypack is where I usually start my rides at least twice a week during the season. I ride all the trails on both sides of the creek from this entrance to Bustleton Ave/Roosevelt Blvd. My favorite section is the techy single track just across Veree St. on the South side of the creek winding up an down the hill. A great big "Thank you" to whoever worked on this trail (I may have heard someone refer to it as "the playground").

The trails were impassable this past weekend. The snow was not packed and too deep to ride. Although there was plenty of horse ****. Maybe in a few weeks!!

I am interested in helping as much as I can to maintain these trails. I have heard that there is a local group of builders/riders, but I haven't run into them. If you're out there, please contact me so I can help.

mtbr member
    I love this place. I ride it once a week after work (around 430-445) but only during day light savings. I never had a guide and always had a hard time finding info on it but I've basically covered everything from pine road down to rt 1 but only one the south side of the creek.

I really like to park at pine road and go up the second or third single track entrance. I used to do the one that took you up along the road right near pine st and then down a hill through a creek crossing and then up to the houses. At this point I'd rather just skip the creek crossing.

My favorite part is between veree and krewstown there is a section you come down from the trails and cross an offshoot of the bike path and then there is a steeeep hill. At the top of that hill there are great twisty trails.

Personally I've been dying for day light savings to get out there after work when I can.

mtbr member
    Also there is a fb group called Penypack Park Trail Advocates. Not a lot of activity but I think they do post up info on TM and interactions between the group and the parks department.

mtbr member
    From there facebook page this morning

Pennypack Park Trail Advocates
    I can only imagine what the trails will be like once the weather permits us to get a look. With the ice storm and all the snow, I'm expecting it to be bad. If you get in there and find any trees blocking the trails that need to be addressed, Please contact us. pennypackmtb@gmail.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I just came back from a ride. The conditions were passable in the double track trails from Veree to Kruztown. It was mostly about an inch of soft snow over hard packed snow/ice. Few bare spots. Hardly any mud at all. The rare bare spots that had some mud always had a line that was clear of it. Not sloppy. One or two warm days and it'll be a sloppy, slushy mess.

At times, my tracks were the first bike tracks. 4wheeler tracks helped pack the snow.

The single track I usually ride is still not passable. Those trails haven't been used at all (mountain bikes/4 wheelers/horses/hikers) and the snow is too deep and soft to ride on.

I had a blast. Its fun getting comfortable when the bike gets loose.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pennypack Park info/conditons thread-img_0886.jpg  

Pennypack Park info/conditons thread-img_0889.jpg  

mtbr member
    In a perfect world the snow would melt this weekend and dry out (at least enough to ride) by next Wednesday but i doubt that will happen. Appreciate the update. Please let me know the condition next time you are out there. I'm chomping at the bit to get there.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Those are my local trails. With some later day sun and drying I'll be out there more often. I'm always happy to ride with new people. I'm usually on my Haro SS in there.

mtbr member
    I've got my bike at work but I'm guessing PP is still not in great shape so I'm riding in NJ on my way home at the sandier trails today. Hopefully in the next week or two its rideable. The climbs and rocks at PP are a nice change of pace from my smoother flowy trails in NJ

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post
    The climbs and rocks at PP are a nice change of pace from my smoother flowy trails in NJ
    Where in NJ?

Just got back from riding my usual single track in PP. Conditions were pretty good. The only muddy spots were on the sections of trail that were low. Most of the techy single track that I rode was fine.

I will caution that there are some down trees completely blocking the trail in some spots. I spent some time clearing what I could, but a few spots will need a chain saw.

It was great to be back on the dirt.

I hope the snow and rain miss us tonight.

mtbr member
    Mostly Camden County College in Blackwood and Ceres park in Pitman but occasionally Kresson in cherry hill or Gloucester County College. Camden County drains like no other so most of the time when other trails are muddy that place is awesome. Outside of those places I mostly ride PP after work or the Wiss on some weekends. I want to get up to Six Mile Run sometime this year.

The Pennypack FB page has put a few of these warnings up lately about the trees and they are asking people not to re route trails or do maintenance. They really want people reporting any issues to Pennypackmtb@gmail.com. I think they are probably a little over protective but whatever....any one looking out for the trails is doing the right thing in my book

mtbr member
    Lots of activity on the pp Facebook page. Apparently they are going to block off a large section on the north side with deer fence

mtbr member
    link plz..

mtbr member
    https://m.facebook.com/PennypackParkTrailAdvocates

mtbr member
    thanks.good to know, i ride pennpack all the time...

mtbr member
    Sweet. Please post conditions here when you can especially if you get over there when its iffy. I usually try and get there once a week on Wed or Thursday but it involves me bringing my bike and gear to work. This week is a prime example of not knowing what to do. We got very little snow and it was relatively dry the days leading up. I"m wondering if it will be ride-able tomorrow or muddy from this snow

mtbr member
    i rode pine to bustleton ave on sunday 3-23-14 98% of the sinlge track was fine...a lil muddy spots near the creek by pine when u first start no major issues tho.

mtbr member
    awesome I think I'm going to try and ride it tomorrow afternoon

mtbr member
    Is there a foot bridge somewhere near bustleton to get to the north side or do I have to go up to the street? Im basically trying to get a loop from pine or veree down to bustleton on the south side and then cross over and do the north side back to pine

mtbr member
    First trip at PP since October. Was nice to ride there again. Its in no where near as good a shape as my local jersey trails but I'm also in jersey shape and not PA shape. Those hills were painful yesterday. Trails are kind of a mess imo. Some of them look like they are being maintained and others are really rough. I did get to the North side over the footbridge and rode around through that big northern triangle between Bustleton and Krewstown. Pretty crazy back there. I ended up riding on Krewstown to cross back to the south side.

is there a bridge somewhere between Bustleton and Pine. Ideally I like to start at Pine on the south side and ride it down to Bustleton and then ride the north side back up to Pine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post
    Is there a foot bridge somewhere near bustleton to get to the north side or do I have to go up to the street? Im basically trying to get a loop from pine or veree down to bustleton on the south side and then cross over and do the north side back to pine

The asphalt path crosses the creek by way of foot bridge just passed Bustleton Ave. Once across the bridge, turn left and it'll let you work your way to the North side of the creek and head back toward Pine.

mtbr member
    Yea I got that part. Is there another foot bridge to cross back over up near pine or do you just ride the trails until you get to Pine street and use the regular street?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Street.

mtbr member
    im so lost..i always ride on the south side..wish there was a trail map. i feel like im missing alot of trails..i always seem to find a new one evrytime

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by h2bmess View Post
    im so lost..i always ride on the south side..wish there was a trail map. i feel like im missing alot of trails..i always seem to find a new one evrytime
    You probably are missing a lot of trails. There is single track (i'm not talking double track/fire roads) on both sides.

Where exactly do you ride?

mtbr member
    i always ride the single track starting at pine on the south side of the river..i never cross over tho.. i actually rode today.. wasn't muddy at all just a little moist

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast