mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Pennypack -- Calm before the storm

In the last few years I don't seem to ride Pennypack much anymore. Maybe it's the overgrowth in summer, too much horse $h!t, doesn't drain well, not technical enough...

Well yesterday I got up early and headed out before the storm and what an awesome ride it was. Trails were hard packed and frozen, and the miles of winding singletrack that are hidden most of the summer came alive. As far as technical, even found quite a bit of stuff hidden in the maze of twisting turn trails... at least more than I remember.

I usually ride hard and seldom take a picture, but rugged urban goodness was around each corner, so here are a few pic's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pennypack -- Calm before the storm-penny01.jpg  

Pennypack -- Calm before the storm-penny02.jpg  

Pennypack -- Calm before the storm-penny04.jpg  

Pennypack -- Calm before the storm-penny05.jpg  

Pennypack -- Calm before the storm-penny06.jpg  

Pennypack -- Calm before the storm-penny07.jpg  

Pennypack -- Calm before the storm-penny08.jpg  

Pennypack -- Calm before the storm-penny10.jpg  

Pennypack -- Calm before the storm-penny11.jpg  

Pennypack -- Calm before the storm-penny14.jpg  

26FS & 29Rigid... best of both worlds

mtbr member
    May 2008
    That's my local spot. I live a little over a mile from there. I see you found the Jersey sand section.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I think PennyPack is underrated personally. I grew up here (30+ years) but in the last 3 years I found some really technical trails, they are not easy to find but they are in there. I still find new trails by exploring or going with someone new. I think the key to riding PP and having a good time is to go with someone that knows the routes.

Great place to learn log overs and steering on the sweet singletrack in there.

Dinner for wolves
    Mmmmm....need to hurry that fixed MTB into completion and explore Pennypack. I've been riding in Philly for over 12 years and have yet to explore PP. Silly rabbit, I.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member

I have to agree..(underrated)

Yep, I love it there! I haven't been there since November, but planning to get out soon! I haven't run into any summer over-growth as mentioned, that bothers me much, but do occasionally go down in some of the stream crossings where the rocky bottoms change with the current. Loads & loads of trails there and you can get some nice distance on a ride as well. I like including Lorimar on the first part of my rides, then slip back into Ppack for the remainder. There is a little for everyone in there, and it is closer for me than the Wiss.

Someone started a Pennypack Riders thread some time ago. I am sure if it is resurrected, you can get some groups together!!

Pennypack, with its varied trail system & length is not unlike Blue Marsh. I use it as training ground before our spring/fall trips to Blue!!

Ah yes! Blue Marsh Enduro this spring... likely in May as usual. Keep it in mind. We had 16 riders last fall!

Yo!

Quote Originally Posted by YellaLab
    I think PennyPack is underrated personally. I grew up here (30+ years) but in the last 3 years I found some really technical trails, they are not easy to find but they are in there. I still find new trails by exploring or going with someone new. I think the key to riding PP and having a good time is to go with someone that knows the routes.

Great place to learn log overs and steering on the sweet singletrack in there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trekmike
    Yep, I love it there! I haven't been there since November, but planning to get out soon! I haven't run into any summer over-growth as mentioned, that bothers me much, but do occasionally go down in some of the stream crossings where the rocky bottoms change with the current. Loads & loads of trails there and you can get some nice distance on a ride as well. I like including Lorimar on the first part of my rides, then slip back into Ppack for the remainder. There is a little for everyone in there, and it is closer for me than the Wiss.

Someone started a Pennypack Riders thread some time ago. I am sure if it is resurrected, you can get some groups together!!

Pennypack, with its varied trail system & length is not unlike Blue Marsh. I use it as training ground before our spring/fall trips to Blue!!

Ah yes! Blue Marsh Enduro this spring... likely in May as usual. Keep it in mind. We had 16 riders last fall!

Yo!
    When Pennypack is dry, it's bliss! If the conditions are wet, I prefer the short track course behind Neshanimy High School. It's even more technical, and more fun in my opinion, but the ride is rather short!
    Abington Wheel Wright Freeride Crew

2011 Trek Session 8

2012 Trek Remedy 9

2012 Niner MCR 9

SND. CPS.

mtbr member

messy

... and Neshaminy can be a muddy mess too, especially those trails by the creek. Pennypack largely remains firm even though wet & messy.

I am looking forward to things drying out... gotta get out.

Quote Originally Posted by quattrokid73
    When Pennypack is dry, it's bliss! If the conditions are wet, I prefer the short track course behind Neshanimy High School. It's even more technical, and more fun in my opinion, but the ride is rather short!

Road Bike Review Member
    I rode it last Monday, it was 70% dry, 20% soft and 10% slop. The horses did a number on the middle of the "Three Sisters" trail and several others as usual. Several blow downs especially between Krewstown and Buselton Ave on the north side of the creek.
    Air Nine One Nine, and a few Cannondale....rip Salsa
    ...work is something I'm forced to do between riding and fishing

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    There is a meetup group ( I am a member) that meets and goes out at PennyPack regularly. http://www.meetup.com/mountainbiking/

We are starting a ride Sundays at 9:30am from Pine Rd. Please come if you want. Rain cancels but we are planning on doing these every Sunday from here on out......

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks John for the pictures. I was looking for some of the trails in the area where the woods was leveled and is now called a "Meadow". I've ridden the park since the late seventies and do major trail repair almost ever week, but the thorns and nettles just grow faster than I can keep up too. Some trails have been abandon because of this. The Meet Up group has recently been pitching in but only on the trails they know. The rest well, we don't want them to be found by the horses so we keep them stealthey. Thanks again for the pictures and I'll see you on the trail.