mtbr member
    Mar 2008

New question here. Pennsylania - sweet long single track downhilling???

I live in Pittsburgh and want to ask the biking community if there are any long sweet downhill trails in the Appalachian Mountains or anywhere else. I like to ride downhill but I'm not into the ski lift resort type downhilling with 10ft jumps and stuff. Lots of those place are like 5 minute rides. I like to go off 1-3 foot drops and little stuff like that. I love to be out in the woods going through creeks, jumping logs, going across bridges and stuff like that but all going down hill. Does such a heavenly place exist??? I don't mind some flats but mostly going down hill. there is a nice downhill at Ohiopyle but I can get down it in like 10minutes. Some friends and I take 2 vehicles to get our rigs up to the top and then keep a vehicle at the bottom of the mountain. I crave long natural sweet single track downhilling!!!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    the gravity downhill course at 7 springs is pretty tame...
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    depends on what you call long, but we have some almost 2 mile long downhill stretches of single track in Rothrock State Forest near State College that loose about 1000 feet that distance. Its not like out west, but its alota fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    That sounds pretty sweet. How long does it take to get down? Do you have a trail map or anything of of the trails out there???

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    Depends on the trail, I havn't really timed Croyle but probably 10-15 minutes depending on how fast you willing to take it. Ross more like 20 minutes I'd bet. Wildcat Gap and Old Laurel run rd trial are both pretty nice too but not quite as long.
    As far as maps go, we have them on the club website www.nittanymba.org
    Blue Knob State Park also has some longer single track downhills as well as some really neat stuff near the top of the mountain

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    To bad you don't live near Reading,Pa,we have all you ask for and more,all shuttle friendly.

mtbr member
    you might want to try out Laurel Mountain State Park. most of the trails there are flat with lots of large rocks, rock gardens, log piles, and other obstacles. there are some steeper downhill trails near the old Laurel Mtn ski resort.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    try Ski Denton...some of our best riding takes a little leg work to get to but should be what your looking for

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by readingracing
    To bad you don't live near Reading,Pa,we have all you ask for and more,all shuttle friendly.
    Could someone clue me in I don't understand the whole shuttle thing, it seems like some people are just not shuttle friendly and some are?
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by denton
    try Ski Denton...some of our best riding takes a little leg work to get to but should be what your looking for
    What do you guys have in the works for DH this year?? I didn't make it up last year and am wondering if there have been any additions or improvements.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    its not the people that are shuttle friendly or not, its the trails. "shuttle friendly" trails refers to those that you can get close to the top and bottom with a vehicle vs those that you have to ride upto to get to go down them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nmba guy
    its not the people that are shuttle friendly or not, its the trails. "shuttle friendly" trails refers to those that you can get close to the top and bottom with a vehicle vs those that you have to ride upto to get to go down them.
    In Colorado people seem to be anti shuttle and I was not too sure why ??? there are a lot of green oriented people here though
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.