mtbr member

Penn mountain biking

Hi there, I've ridden Rothrock State forest and Raystown lake trails a couple years ago. I loved it and I am planning to go back and explore some more of PA riding. I am bringing my BF who has never biked in PA. I'd like to do both those areas again but as well add in another area so I see something new. We would like to do 2 days in Rothrock, a day in Raystown and then another day or two somewhere else. We are coming from Burlington, Ontario. Suggestion would be great, we are advanced XC riders somewhere with a day of riding would be nice.......

Tammie

mtbr member
    Sounds like a great trip, even if you don't get anyplace else. If it was my trip I would try to spend the additional day or two at Rattling Creek though. Should be able to find any info you need here: Rattling Creek SingleTrackers
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Michaux State Forest near Gettysburg has a ton of riding options too, more than you could burn up in two days for sure.

The Mountain Bikers of Michaux have regular rides there, weekday and weekend, and a Google map that shows various ride-start locations. I got a good topo-map from the ranger station at Pine Grove Furnace on my way in the first time I rode there, very handy.

I had my favorite ride last summer starting from just north of Caledonia State Park and working my way north and up the ranges towards the west of Long Pine Reservoir towards the Mash parking area, then across the valley and along various trails towards Dark Hollow, and then back down the ridge that parallels 233 back past Long Pine and then back to the start. It was a huge day.

Rattling Creek is a great ride too, I usually do 18-20-couple when I'm out there, depends on whether I go down the silly fun downhill on the east side by the hang glider launch, to the grunt climb back up Iron Mine. I always will by-intent finish with Schreffler Rd to Dry Run Trail to Rattling Creek Trail. It's just too much fun that way!

When you ride Rothrock, are you planning on the side facing State College or to the south? There looks to be some great stuff out of Greenwood Furnace State Park, if I can only find the trails (and not have another thunderstorm like I did last August)!

mtbr member
    awesome thanks for the info guys!

mtbr member
    when I rode Rothrock I luckily had a local as a guide we did i believe the state college side but also "coopers gap" which is on the other side, both were great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Depending on when you guys are coming down, you can try 7 Springs and do the race coarse...that's a lot of fun. You can PM me or hit anyone up from LHORBA, when you're in the area or a week or so before. Also Bear Creek, WV is really awesome.

Bear is on the money too. Michaux and Rattling Creek are pretty awesome.
    Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member
    Our plan is to come down Monday June 3rd -7th but we do have some flexibility as I have may 29 to June 13th off. But I do have to be home sat June 1st I instruct at a women's only dirtbike clinic that day other then that no other commitments

mtbr member
    ps. where is 7 springs I'm not familiar with any other places other then Rothrock or Raystown lake.

mtbr member
    BTW Bear, I bought a good Rothrock state forest map at Freeze Thaw cycles....its made by purple lizard maps was great to have..... there is the Greenwood furnace state park trails on it as well.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Tammie, you're in luck that weekend you are coming down is the RothRock Trail Mix, event/race it's on the 8th. As for 7 springs, it is near Champion, PA. The Race coarse is really an awesome ride. It's about 12-13 miles in length, per lap, rideable either way. I prefer the new way (backwards from early years) The climb is less daunting when you're in the woods and not going up across grassy slopes and a fire road....but that's me.

Again PM me when the time is closer, I'll ride with you guys if you want to head more west. Can't do Michaux that weekend or Rattling Creek, I'll be at the Roth Rock Trail Mix though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    tammie I would say you are set. You have selected two of the best area to ride in the state and have the purple lizard map.

If you are interested in downhill thrills 7 springs is located just past somerset and offers lift chair access. Blue knob state park is located near the village of pavia. Each is an afternoons drive from the rothrock or lake raystown.

Enjoy your trip.

mtbr member
    ah ok so 7 springs is a downhill place, I sold my DH bike a while back, my BF and I just bought 5-5.5" travel bikes I just bought an IBIS mojo SLR havn't even ridden it yet! my bf just bought a NINER RIP 9.....so we are looking fwd to get out on the bikes now that our ski season is over..... we are looking for more high intermediate to advanced single track, places that have enough to ride all day on like 20-30miles .....

mtbr member
    is the jim thorpe area trails worth checking out I've heard of that area a bit?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    JT isn't what it use to be. The trails are still there but some have been closed by the Game commission. There is still a lot of rideable trails, some not posted on maps. Best to post here on MTBR if you would like to ride them. Maybe a local will be available to show you around.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

Spring! Spring! Spring!

Penn mountain biking

Hard part is following the Thorpe stuff. Since it went off the "official" list it is not ridden as frequently as some other stuff.

There some "locals" down there that know it well.

I could e convinced to hit at lest one old school loop pair easily, usually have to take a GPS to make sure I don't miss a turn or two though.

You could have a nice two days staying at one place and hitting Rattling Creek one day and Thorpe the next, or vice versa.