Thread: PA Trail pix

PA Trail pix

I'm orignally from York, PA. I live/ride out in Northern California now. I left PA back in the early 90's and at the time there wasn't a huge Mt. bike scene. It was a fairly new sport and there wasn't a whole lot of single track that was open. We rode where ever we could...and probably places that we shouldn't have. Any poaching that we did at that time was purely because there were no rules on whether or not you could ride at that time. Either way since then trail networks across the country have got a lot bigger. I was thinking about heading home over the summer and started wondering what kind of riding was back there. IE: Should I take my bike.

I know I could search the forums all day long looking at pix, but I figured I'd just post here and ask you to post some of your favorite ride pix. Thanks in advance for showing me what I've been missing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    you may get some responses to this, but as you know, pix are never gonna do a trail justice...

definitely bring the bike, it would probably be very cool for you to compare what you did to what is now available...

not sure what part of PA you are heading back to but there seems to be plenty in every quarter of the state...if you're on your bike, it's all good...
    "Whether it be an abrasion or a mental breakdown, everyone suffers in one way or another." ORAMM Disclaimer

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I am told that there is great riding at Rocky Ridge County Park which is somewhere over by the Galleria Mall. Infact, I think that there are mtb trails at each of the county parks around the York area. I've heard the ones by Lake Redman are good too. I found this link for you to check out.

http://www.epgsoft.com/MBYork/
    “Driving a car versus riding a bike is on par with watching television rather than living your own life.”

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    def check out Rocky Ridge Park, that place is great to ride.

I know what you mean by the pictures not doing justice. Some of the most technical and challenging rides I've been on up in Tahoe don't look very intresting in photos. Of course the really fun parts don't usually get pictures taken because I don't want to stop. LOL I have some friends back there that still ride. More then likely I'll end up renting instead of dragging the bike on the plane. Either way I'm definitely planning on riding. I just wanted to see some pix of how the riding is. I'm from York, which is about 30 mins north of Baltimore, MD.

After I replied to the first guy I saw the other 2 posts. I used to Ride at Rocky Ridge and Lake Redman all the time, so I'm very familiar with the area. It would be fun to see what kind of changes have been made to the trail systems over there. I remember some people riding up in Tower City too. Is that still a good place to ride?

steel is real...heavy
    Nov 2005
    I'm from York originally also. I was at Rocky Ridge a few weeks ago and ride it a few times a year. I started riding there in the mid 90s, not much has changed. The same trails are in pretty much the same condition, although the MTB clubs have done a great job with maintenance. There are one or two new but short trails. There are bridges over some of the old creek crossings.

for trail info and maps in the area:

http://www.sambabiker.com/trail.htm

good luck

Looks like I'm gonna have to do some driving to get some miles in! Thanks for the link, I'll be bookmarking that one.

Keep on Rockin...

Plenty of good trails in PA...

Personally I'm not familiar with the York area however.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    if you're mentioning the tower city area and are even remotely inclined to make a trip near there, i would say to check out the astounding trails in Lykens, built in the past 7 or so years by the Rattling Crek Singletrackers. http://www.rcst1.org

however, riding has developed so that there are trails about anywhere and not that much travel can still net you new riding. that said, i'd go to lykens.

Keep on Rockin...

Lykens...

Quote Originally Posted by bighitdon
    if you're mentioning the tower city area and are even remotely inclined to make a trip near there, i would say to check out the astounding trails in Lykens, built in the past 7 or so years by the Rattling Crek Singletrackers. http://www.rcst1.org

however, riding has developed so that there are trails about anywhere and not that much travel can still net you new riding. that said, i'd go to lykens.
    The first and only time I was able to get there was the end of last year with a rigid SS. Wicked rocky trails. They single track will have you begging for some smooth fire road. That is one fine ride and I'm hoping to get back soon.

That looks like fun to me!

mtbr member

Thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Ask and Ye shall receive

New hi-low section of trail 5 at Spring Valley County Pak

Bottom of trail 7 at Rocky Ridge County Park

New trail 6 at RR

Trail 4 at RR

Unlabeled section of trail at RR

New section of trail 7 being built at Kain County Park (Lake Redman)

Further along new trail 7 at Kain before it was finished (follow the blue flags)

3 Mile Trail at Michaux State Forest

More 3 Mile Trail
    "Being smart and fit is expensive, but not as expensive as being fat and dumb" - 9.8m/s/s

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    We're looking at moving to the North and Northwest Phlilly area since I will possibly be working to rep in Philly. Where's the MT biking and road biking best at around that area?

Rat Fink
    There are plenty of good trails right in York. Check out http://www.yamba.org/.

Rocky Ridge, Lake Williams/Lake Redman, Spring Valley in York County.

Also in the region (1 to 1.5 hr drives): Rattling Creek @ Lykens, Micheaux State Forrest, French Creek SP, Gov. Dick (suprisingly not mentioned by Todd@gretnabikes), Blue Marsh, and Fair Hill in MD.
    Raspberries, nature's poison ivy bait. (Formerly, 'Stops to eat the raspberries.')

Thanks for the pix!