mtbr member

PA State Park Rules

Some of my friends and I are planning to meet up in PA next weekend for some riding/camping. The original plan was to stay at a state park in the lehigh gorge region, then we saw the "alcohol prohibited" warnings on the state web site.

My question is how strict are the park staff on the alcohol rule?

One of my friend seems to think they are pretty hard core and will not only boot us but will issue tickets. In NY all the state campgrounds say this but its rarely enforced unless you are causing trouble. Theres only going to be 4 of us and we aren't rowdy, we just don't want to get booted and have it ruin the weekend.
    Saratoga Mountain Bike Association - www.saratogamtb.org

"Tri" sticker. Translation: "One Less Good Bike Handler."

mtbr member
    i'm sure there are some gung-ho rangers out there that might hassle you about having beer but for the most part i dont think you should have any problems here in most PA state parks. glass bottles are usually frowned upon so stick to cans if you can. also dont litter! i've never heard of anybody being ticketed in a park for having beer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I also haven't heard of it, but I have seen it happen a few times to groups of people I wasn't associated with. In the last few years, PA state park rangers have become much more policeman-like, good advice would be to keep it very low profile, in the tent and not visible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Find a private campground

I lived and worked in Ohiopyle SP for years. Alcohol is strictly prohibited and the PA DCNR enforces it.

Same goes for Racoon Creek, Greenwood Furnace, and a few other parks I have been a part of.

It is a stupid rule, but definately a rule that is enforced. You may get away with it for a night, but rest assured they will be patrolling.

YMMV, but I have not had luck with skirting this rule.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian A
    I lived and worked in Ohiopyle SP for years. Alcohol is strictly prohibited and the PA DCNR enforces it.

Same goes for Racoon Creek, Greenwood Furnace, and a few other parks I have been a part of.

It is a stupid rule, but definately a rule that is enforced. You may get away with it for a night, but rest assured they will be patrolling.

YMMV, but I have not had luck with skirting this rule.

Thanks everyone - I think we are going to shoot to stay at a private campground, better safe than sorry. We are looking to stay in the Leghigh Gorge area - any campground reccomendations? I've found a few promising places.

Also - any trail reccomendations? I'm a fairly advanced rider but the other 3 guys are very novice.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Why not just not drink for a couple days and enjoy the state parks?? It'd suck to have alcohol dictate where I can bike and where I can't...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Look at his avatar

Look at his Avatar. Obviously beer is a food group...

I agree with the OP, why let the stupid state regulations dictate wheter or not I can fully enjoy my vacation. Moreover, how can the same state that sell you booze condemn its use? Provincial, puritanical alcohol laws are just another way the man keeps you down...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzHog
    Why not just not drink for a couple days and enjoy the state parks?? It'd suck to have alcohol dictate where I can bike and where I can't...

I'd agree with you - unfortunately the other three have other priorities.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I gotta say it's a good rule in the state parks, not sure though about the more open and fewer-people-per-square-mile state forests, though. The state parks maintain a very nice atmosphere IMO. It's been absolutely quite in the places I've overnight camped at.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Goddy
    I'd agree with you - unfortunately the other three have other priorities.
    Man, that's even worse when it's someone elses drinking that stops ya from enjoying life the way ya want...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by XCoalMiner
    I gotta say it's a good rule in the state parks, not sure though about the more open and fewer-people-per-square-mile state forests, though. The state parks maintain a very nice atmosphere IMO. It's been absolutely quite in the places I've overnight camped at.
    Alcohol is fine in the state forrests. Dogs can be unleashed, and you can camp anywhere (you don't have to be in a designated site). Just don't litter or burn down my forrests.

BIKE!!
    Nov 2005

No worry

I actually camped at lehigh gorge campgrond over the summer. I just brought along some party cups and poured beer in their instead of having the bottles in the open. Nobody bothered me. I imagine if you got too rowdy though there might be some consequences.

don't tread on me
    Jun 2004

gin and tonic looks like h20

G&T looks ok in a nalgene. V&T too. Doesn't have the same thirst quench as a brew but much more covert.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Ok, so you need help with tolerances and machining of an aluminum can!

From the Lawntractor Race friends who I know don't drink Mt. Dew, yet at the races I see them holding Mt. Dew cans............

Ah Ha!

Get a mountain Dew can cut the top off just below the lip, a Coor's Light can slips right in......you know those Lawn Tractor Race guys are Pretty Fart Smellers!

I guess you could say I have been around a while!

Not condoning anything here. What you have in the can is strictly your responsibility. You can be asked to hand over the can for inspection!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfmansBrother8
    I actually camped at lehigh gorge campgrond over the summer. I just brought along some party cups and poured beer in their instead of having the bottles in the open. Nobody bothered me. I imagine if you got too rowdy though there might be some consequences.
    The private or state one? I didn't think camping was allowed at the state one.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by BuzzHog
    Man, that's even worse when it's someone elses drinking that stops ya from enjoying life the way ya want...
    Not to get too high up on my soapbox - but it's not the drinking that's stopping him from doing anything. It's bad policy that's keeping him and his friends from 'enjoying life the way they want' - e.g. w/ a beer in-hand - because the state feels that surely no one who would drink beer in a park could possibly act responsibly.

As a homebrewer, I'm as almost as passionate about great beer as I am about mountain biking, and there's nothing I love more than a nice beer after a long ride - especially when I'm relaxing in the great outdoors. Not everyone who drinks does so to get hammered, crush cans on their head and leave behind a wake of broken glass & aluminum litter.

Some of us just love beer.

The state's policy on alcohol in parks is intended to prevent drunken riff-raff from being loud, obnoxious, and a danger to themselves and others, but it does so at the expense of limiting responsible drinkers' ability to enjoy themselves w/ a pint or two.

As long as one's discrete and doesn't drink to excess, it's usually not a problem to enjoy a few beers at a state park. That said, each one's different and some are patrolled and enforced much more than others.

Personally, if you're just interested in camping somewhere in Jim Thorpe? I'd go here and not worry about fines or - worse - being forced to dump out all of your beer!!:

http://www.jimthorpecamping.com/index.html
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    Personally, if you're just interested in camping somewhere in Jim Thorpe? I'd go here and not worry about fines or - worse - being forced to dump out all of your beer!!:

http://www.jimthorpecamping.com/index.html

Jim Thorpe is one of two options we are considering now - we were hoping for something a little less resortis though. Its down to that place an www.lehighgorgecampground.com

mtbr member
    Ok - we figured out a campground - we are staying at the lehigh gorge campground in White Haven .

Now - for a bike related quesiton - are there any must ride trails we should hit up? I would love something that goes along the rim of the gorge with some views - so climbing is not a problem.

BIKE!!
    Nov 2005
    I was at the private one

BIKE!!
    Nov 2005

trails

The Broad Mountain loop is awesome for views of the gorge and the Glen onoko waterfalls. The trail itself isn't very technical but the views are great! For some good technical riding with some views along the way I like Summit Hill and Bob's Option which are by lake Muach Chunk just outside of Thorpe. Stop at Blue Mountain sports in Thorpe for some maps. www.bikejimthorpe.com
    I stayed at the same campground over the summer. It is very nice! Have fun!

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by WolfmansBrother8
    [SIZE=3] This fine upstanding member of NEPMTBA cause trouble? Never! He probably Raked and Groomed the trails while he was there!...Hee..hee
    [/SIZE]

BIKE!!
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    [SIZE=3] This fine upstanding member of NEPMTBA cause trouble? Never! He probably Raked and Groomed the trails while he was there!...Hee..hee
    [/SIZE]
    hahaha, yep, wait til I retire, I will rake trails daily, haha