mtbr member

PA Single Speeders...

I switched over to single speed this season. I've found pluses and minuses going 1X1 and would be interested to hear (and see) others' experiences on PA trails. The first ratio I tried (32x16) happened to be my "magic" gear with no tensioner required, but it's definitely a bit tall for me and I may go to an 18 or 20 in the back. Especially for French Creek type of riding.

Here are a couple gratuitous pics. The old VooDoo has more Mojo than ever.

Lance who?

ride more
    Mar 2007
    sweet ride. I gave up the ss for awhile, been trying out a IGH this year. It looks kinda like a ss...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PA Single Speeders...-ivy-cycles.jpg  

PA Single Speeders...-ivy-cycles2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I'm almost exclusively SS for off road use. Even have one for on road. Over longer distances I still fade compared to my gearie riding buddies, but thats just because I need to HTFU. If you enjoy it, then enjoy it!

mtbr member
    I find that 32-15 is my magic number for SEPA.

HopHeads, Unite!
    you guys are tough. i like 32x21 on the 29er.
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Now broadcasting from CO
    agreed... 32x15 on a 29er is huge IMO. You must like pedaling around 10 rpm. I rock a 32x20 and find it perfect for places like French Creek and Michaux
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Rockin 32/19 on my elMar for LV area trails. I end up walking about 5% of the time.

mtbr member
    32-15 helps me personally climb faster/easier. Seems to help in the races in the not so forgiving conditions for a few races this year.

HopHeads, Unite!
    i think the gear ratio is mostly meaningless without the wheelsize of the bike. if you're running 32x15 on a 29er, you're more man than me (which isn't saying much). 32x15 on a 26er is a little easier to see.
    People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Did you ever have ham?

PA Single Speeders

I don't actually ride a SS, my Windsor has 27 speeds. I hate the gears! I have bent cassettes, broken deraileurs(I think I misspelled that, sorry)and have to constantly try to adjust the cables. Last ride I was trying to build some momentum to try(notice I said try...LOL)blow up a hill when the thing start slipping on me. At 6'4" tall and approx. 350 pounds I am not easy on the drivetrain, but I am trying to keep my bike in one gear and learn how to do what you guys do. My hat is off to anyone that mountain bikes, and especially to you Singe Speeders. You are an incredible bunch and I hope I can join your ranks someday soon!

mtbr member
    I rock a 32x20 and find it perfect for places like French Creek
    I'm thinking that's the gear for me too. It just that my chain is perfect with a 32x16... I guess an eccentric BB or hub would be the way to go. Tensioners seem a compromise to me and detract from the clean SS look I think. I did buy a Surly thinking I would need one but I was going to take it back.

With my current gear the "sweet spot", for me, is between 12 to 15 mph or roughly 70 - 100 rpm. That's too brisk for French IMO. I have to kill myself to maintain any cadence on those trails. Short sections of steep or technical are fine, it's the long grinds I can't take.
    Lance who?

HopHeads, Unite!
    Without buying a new frame, your cleanest solution is probably to rebuild your rear wheel with a White Industries ENO Eccentric hub. The would give you adjustability to tension the chain. I did that on two Bianchi touring frames and it worked pretty well. You'll have to readjust your rim brakes to work with whatever position your rear wheel ends up in, but that's it.

Motoman465--you need stainless steel chainrings and cogs and 8-speed or singlespeed chains. Heck, I'm 220 and I don't run 9-speed because I break junk.

Did you ever have ham?
    I have talked to a few good friends who told me that the 9 speed cassette fits in the same space as the 8, so they just made everything more compact. I know one thing I was doing wrong from the start was I would wait to downshift until I was on a hill instead of before I got to it. That came from moto'ing! I will have to give that stuff a try. Thanks, Lugboot!

I love your signature line, ain't it the truth? What happened to governmnet of the people, by the people, and for the people? Well, I guess this is best suited for another forum! LOL!

HopHeads, Unite!
    Yep, to change over, you just need an 8-speed cassette, an 8-speed chain, and a new 8-speed rear shifter. Wheel stays the same. Derailleur stays the same.

My FS bike is 2x8--I just took off the big ring and replaced it with a bash guard. More clearance for rocks and logs.

Yeah, like you said, that's another forum.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Oh ya love the SS.

Made me stronger, and less likely to snag the derrail on stuff, since I like the off trail stuff at times. Pure riding and rally like the: just lube the chain, throw it on the rack and ride. No checking cables, shifter, and derailers. Really enjoyable in that realm.

Moto:

Lugboots advice is "great " You need the 8 speed. Cedar bike Dave can get ya into that stuff. I too like the 2x8 on my gearie. shhhhh. I'm not talking gear here...lol

SS = Just plain PAIN & FUN all mixed in ONE

NEPMTBA
    SS, YES
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PA Single Speeders...-dsc01410.jpg  

Did you ever have ham?
    I want to play with giant Lincoln Logs, too! LOL!

Did you ever have ham?
    If I do switch from the 9 speed rear to the 8 speed, do I need to reduce from 3 to 2 rings on the front or does it not really matter?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Todd:

No you don't, 8 speed with work with all your chain rings. People remove the large ring to gain clearance over rocks and logs. If you do remove the large ring you could add a rock ring or bash guard to protect the middle ring if your gonna be riding over large logs and rocks like the new rock wall crossing at mOOn..