Thread: PA mtb Summit

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005

PA mtb Summit

Since the idea for a state wide group seems to have been reborn on here, I would like to throw out the idea of having a mountain bike summit here in the State College area, specifically at the 4-H Camp in Rothrock State Forest, for those of you who have been there. The dates would be the weekend of May 9-10. The tentative plan would be to open camp Friday afternoon. We would have some group rides go out at noon on Saturday (Im pretty sure its spring gobbler season so we want to respect the hunters) then have some orginizational meetings in the evening, probably with the help of Ryan from IMBA (he's one of the guys that helped get the Phillly club organized). Sunday would also be open for more group rides and orginizational discussion.
    More details to come, but I wanted to get those dates out there as well as solicite any ideas / opinions ( I know, thats a dangerous thing on this board)

Kevin
    Prez NMBA

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by nmba guy
    Since the idea for a state wide group seems to have been reborn on here, I would like to throw out the idea of having a mountain bike summit here in the State College area, specifically at the 4-H Camp in Rothrock State Forest, for those of you who have been there. The dates would be the weekend of May 9-10. The tentative plan would be to open camp Friday afternoon. We would have some group rides go out at noon on Saturday (Im pretty sure its spring gobbler season so we want to respect the hunters) then have some orginizational meetings in the evening, probably with the help of Ryan from IMBA (he's one of the guys that helped get the Phillly club organized). Sunday would also be open for more group rides and orginizational discussion.
    More details to come, but I wanted to get those dates out there as well as solicite any ideas / opinions ( I know, thats a dangerous thing on this board)

Kevin
    Prez NMBA
    Kevin:

Thanks for throwing this out! Great Idea!

We will attend!

mtbr member
    Kevin, nice to meet your acquaintence. I will be there as I am sure a large contingent of PhillyMtbBkAsn. Perfect excuse to road trip and ride those awesome trails again! Please keep us in the loop and we can maybe offer some input. Please send me an email through our website if possible. THanks!

Cheers, Lou
    PMBA-Prezzzzz
    www.phillymtb.org
    APRIL 19th 2008, 2nd Annual Rally in the (Wissahickon) Valley
    bike = good

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    We'll be getting more info together soon and getting it out to all the clubs. I just wanted to get the dates on peoples calanders. All are certainly welcome and it should be a great weekend of good company, great riding, and hopefully some initial structure for a state wide group.

mtbr member
    Mountain Bikers of Michaux will be sure to send representatives. I'll continue to monitor this board for further information.

Morgan Styer
    VP-MBM

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Kevin or I will be sending out invites to all the clubs in PA to attend this, but if your an individual and you want to come, feel free. We are piggy backing this on NMBA's normal spring multi-club group ride, so it won't be all work and no play. That just makes Jack a dull boy.
    And as Kevin posted earlier, more info will be forth coming.

my church is the woods
    I think this is a great idea to get all the state's mtb clubs somewhat unified.

I think all the local clubs in this state are stepping it up in their respective areas, and I for one would like to travel around to check out more areas of PA. A single statewide website with links to all the local clubs would be GREAT.
    Something like this for example http://www.americantom.com/ where there is a clickable map of PA, where you can click on a county and it takes you to the local clubs site.

just my 2 cents.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005

Info Sent

Well the initial invite/info for the summit has been emailed to clubs around the state. If you happen to be a PA bike club "executive" or even just an active interested member, feel free to drop Frank or myself an email and we can get the details out to you. RSVP to frank at mtnittanywheelworks.com and please use "PA Summit" in the subject line. Questions can be addressed to either Frank or me (mtbiker11 at juno.com). Also I seem to remember somebody volunteering their webmaster skill on a previous thread but cant seem to find that. If that person is still checking this out and willing to help, please drop me an email as well.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    We have 25-30 people so far set to make it for the weekend. We are putting the final touches on the schedule but be sure there will be good riding and good company. The Sunday hunting issue is just one more good example of why we need an organized state wide group. Its certainly not to late to sign up, just drop Frank or myself a line with questions or rsvp's.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Just an F.Y.I. May 10th is On the Rocks at French Creek Mass Race...

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    we were going to run into issues with races or other mtb conflicts just about any weekend we picked so this is what we ended up with. We certainly realize that some people that would like to make it won't be able to but thats going to happen no matter what. All the best luck in the race and this is only the start so there will be plenty of other opportunities in the future to be part of this.

banned
    Can I offer the possibility that you can set up a web chat for those that can't make it?

It's pretty easy and many services are available for this purpose.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    if you mean during the actual meeting, I dont see that as working as there is no internet out there at the camp, barely enough cell coverage for even a txt message. Im sure we could set up some kind of satalite deal, but for a one day deal, that would be alot more cost and trouble than it would be worth. We will certainly get all the details from the meeting out to all interested parties, so even if you cannot make it to the meeting, please get your contact info to Frank or myself so we can keep you in the loop

Cyclovore

Got 3 on the hook

Is this summit open to those who like to ride and meet new people, and have no political motovations? I just wanna ride somewhere new and explore a foreign area. Could you tolerate someone on the other side of the so called "Sunday Hunting" fence. I really don't care either way. Just wanna ride. Man vs Nature. We are three strong and as different as three can be. All we have in common is we ride.
    MIke
    Eric
    Jason
    Bliss is thumping the prophet through the woods, as "Painkiller " wails through your phones. Ride a metal monster.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    You're certainly welcome to come along and go on the group rides on saturday and sunday and hang out saturday evening. I might suggest that you postpone your trip to latter into the summer, better weather potentially, less crowed trails and camp over at Greenwood furnace or Penn Roosevelt SP. You can ususally find a local or two to lead you around as well. but if your into the group scene, come on along, just drop frank or myself an email so you get included on directions, times etc.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

New question here. Set up

Kevin:

Could you please describe the layout? Camping/Meals/Gas/Hospital

The Camping area is how far from meeting house?

Where is the nearest bike shop/hotel/motel/food(decent place to eat, mom & pops are good)?

Thanks

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    we are putting all the details together and should have a true itinerary out soon, just looking for a few details from the IMBA guy thats coming in. but to answer some of your questions, we are camping at the 4-H camp, which is about 10 minutes down a gravel road from Rt 322, the road is a couple miles south/east of Potters mills for those of you with an atlas handy (we'll have full directions later). If your atlas shows Penn Roosevelt State Park, its right across the road from that. The "camp" consists of a main building with a full kitchen, bathroom, and hot shower. They have some cots with old mattresses in there if you really don't want to bring a tent, but thats where everybody will be gathering so your bed time will be dependant on when the last people crash if you do that. There is a large field out front with plenty of space for setting up tents etc. As far as food goes, we are putting together some sort of meal for saturday night, but the rest is pretty much on you, as far as breakfast, trail lunch and what ever on Sunday. LIke I said theres a full kitchen but theres also gonna be 30 or so people, so there may be a bit of a wait if you need to use the stove to cook your eggs or whatever. We may do some grilling after the ride on Sunday, still to be determined.
    Nearest "stuff" is gonna be in State College, about 30 minutes from the camp.
    The rides will start right from the camp, both areas, "tussey" and "coopers gap" are a just a couple miles from the camp.
    Any other question, just post
    Looking forward to it!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Sorry if this is a little hard to read, I guess you can't cut and paste so well here. Any questions, shoot me or NMBAguy a PM.

PA Mountain Bike Summit info
    Where: The summit will be held at the 4-H camp adjacent to Penn-Roosevelt State Park (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...oosevelt.aspx). Facilities at the camp include bathrooms, a shower, bunk houses and a main building. I would recommend camping as the buildings are best described as rustic. There is a large field with more than enough room to fit 50-plus campers. If by some chance we are larger than that or you would like a little distance from the group, there are camp spaces available about 200 yards away in Penn-Roosevelt SP. Those would need to be reserved through the State Park system, but in May it is doubtful that park will be full.
    How to get there: Penn-Roosevelt is located on Crowfield Rd within Rothrock State Forest. The most direct route is to take 322 East from State College or 322 West from Harrisburg until you reach the seven mountains area. Crowfield Rd is located at the base of the seven mountains on the State College side where 322 changes from four lanes to two. Penn-Roosevelt is located 5 miles down Crowfield Rd. As you enter the park, the 4-H Camp is located on the right hand side.

Schedule of events –
    The 4-H Camp is open Friday evening for those who want to get there early. There will be some folks from NMBA out camping on Friday evening; you might want to try to convince them to night ride!
    Saturday- Rides - will begin to get grouped together at 11am. It is Spring Gobbler season, so we are starting the ride a little later. Hunters are done by noon, so this should give them sometime before we start hoopin’ and hollerin’. The plan is to have 3 distinct rides of intermediate and advanced levels, and a women’s ride. The women’s ride will be on intermediate to advanced level trails, just no x chromosomes along to spoil the fun. One of the other rides will head towards Tussey Mountain while the rest will remain primarily in the Cooper’s Gap area. The plan is to have a ride towards Tussey both Saturday and Sunday for those who want some variety. If you haven’t ridden in Rothrock State Forest, Tussey tends to have more big ups and downs and rocks, while Cooper’s Gap has a better trail to road ratio and all about flow. For those who prefer self-guided rides, the Nittanymba.org website has maps of theses areas available for download.
    We are working on having post ride food and refreshments donated.
    Saturday – Meeting - will start at 4pm. Ryan Shutz from IMBA will give a presentation lasting about 45 minutes, Frank Maguire will give a brief overview of what lays ahead for us on the state level. We will then have a discussion moderated by Ryan to try and address the issues and how best to move forward. The meeting will last about 2 and half hours.
    Saturday -Post Meeting – we are open to suggestions. There is a rather large fire pit available, or any number of hijinx could be engaged in.
    Sunday – Rides - will start at 9am. Again, the rides will follow the format of Saturday. We hope to have the rides all wrapped up by 1pm.
    Post ride BBQ to follow, please bring something to contribute.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

bump, bump!

Just wanted to move this back up towards the top. The summit is two weeks away and we have some 40 plus people committed from all over the state. It is also looking like we will have some out of state representation too, as some people from NJ, MD and VA have contacted me about coming as well.
    If you are on the fence about coming but are interested in whats in the future in PA, don't hesitate to come. You don't have to be a club to participate, and the riding alone will be worth the trip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Sounds Great!

Nice work you guys, keep the good work and the good vibe rolling.
    Sorry I'm not gonna be able to be there...
    "Whether it be an abrasion or a mental breakdown, everyone suffers in one way or another." ORAMM Disclaimer

PMBA

Bump

Good times.
    Keep crowded trails friendly. Go by slow and say "hello"
    Tom Coyle www.phillymtb.com

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005

Weather is clearing

The rain has just about stopped here in State College and we really didn't get that much so the trails should be pretty good for the rides tomorrow and Sunday so anybody on the fence about coming, hop down on this side. The more participation and inupt we get towards this new state-wide group the better. Looks like we will have some pretty good stuff on the raffle table as well as some tastey beverages to sample.

mtbr member

where specifically...

are the group rides departing from? are they going to be leaving from the penn-roosevelt state park/4-h campground area? i was thinking about heading up tomorrow morning from mechanicsburg but want to be sure to give myself enough time to get there before everyone leaves. can't stay for the meeting (dogs home alone) but would like to check out some of the rothrock trails. at best i am an intermediate rider, but i do regularly ride michaux so if i come hopefully i won't slow anyone down. any ideas on ride lengths? thanks for the info and if i don't come thanks for all the effort! it sure would be nice to ride the trails in SGL off lambs gap after work since i get home to late to travel anywhere further to get a ride in on most evenings!
    The wheel of Ka turns and the World moves on.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job! To all...

Thanks...

To Frank and all who made it happen!

We are really excited about the process! Glad to see so much interest and the fireside chat was fantastic!

As always anyone wanting to ride here in NEPA just give us a shout.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Thanks Lee and thanks to everyone who showed up and made it successful! We will be compiling all the notes from meeting, contacting those of you who expressed interest in continuing the discussion and moving on the goals we set out.
    If there is anyone who couldn't make it but would like to get some more info, send me an email (frank at MTnittanywheelworks.com) and I'll put you in the loop.
    Thanks again and heres to moving PA forward!