Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The PA forums

mtbr member

The PA forums

Have become such a wasteland of petty, useless arguing. Stop wasting your time and energy with lame arguements and justified-opinions and get out and do something usefull. I started a new job 2 months ago and haven't been on here much. When you step back for a week or two and then come back, you'll realize there's friendly post and usefull post, but most are a waste... Or unfortunatley, turned into one.

FWIW, I'm working 6 days a week and do ski patrol on Sunday, Sunday night, Tuesday night and some Monday nights. I'm up Hubbard on Thursnights and work OT the other weeknights. If you guys or gals have any REAL questions to ask me about the area, pm me and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. When I can update info about the Moosic Mountain Conservancy, Hubbard, Merli, or Lackawanna SP, I will. Thanks, Fahn

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn
    Have become such a wasteland of petty, useless arguing. Stop wasting your time and energy with lame arguements and justified-opinions and get out and do something usefull. I started a new job 2 months ago and haven't been on here much. When you step back for a week or two and then come back, you'll realize there's friendly post and usefull post, but most are a waste... Or unfortunatley, turned into one.

FWIW, I'm working 6 days a week and do ski patrol on Sunday, Sunday night, Tuesday night and some Monday nights. I'm up Hubbard on Thursnights and work OT the other weeknights. If you guys or gals have any REAL questions to ask me about the area, pm me and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. When I can update info about the Moosic Mountain Conservancy, Hubbard, Merli, or Lackawanna SP, I will. Thanks, Fahn
    Ya.. you should talk! The last time you were on you bagged Rick C. for loosing an expensive 29er wheel by accident. I can only imagine Rick didn't send you a Christmas card!

Who's arguing? We are doing something useful... its called "RIDING" In between typing contests...LOL!

Last edited by NEPMTBA; 01-07-2008 at 09:03 PM.

I'm more of a dog person

GOD? Is that you?

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by the4berbs
    GOD? Is that you?
    LOL.

Kinda my thoughts, too. No offense to the OP - but it is just a message board, and used to be a low-key place for people to hook up (not that way) and go for rides. Sorry your work life is hectic and all, but - when did MTBR become a place exclusively for advocacy, etc? And, while I've read some of the threads in the past re: how NEPA is (or might be) under-represented, it seems like the small handful of you who are so vocal in this forum forget that there's 3 other corners in PA. Last time I checked, riding and having fun was as "useful" as anything else.

Just relax and let the forum do its thing. Better yet, go for a ride and take some friends. It's a helluva nice day out there.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

I'm more of a dog person
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    LOL.

Kinda my thoughts, too. No offense to the OP - but it is just a message board, and used to be a low-key place for people to hook up (not that way) and go for rides. Sorry your work life is hectic and all, but - when did MTBR become a place exclusively for advocacy, etc? And, while I've read some of the threads in the past re: how NEPA is (or might be) under-represented, it seems like the small handful of you who are so vocal in this forum forget that there's 3 other corners in PA. Last time I checked, riding and having fun was as "useful" as anything else.

Just relax and let the forum do its thing. Better yet, go for a ride and take some friends. It's a helluva nice day out there.
    Seriously, who the h*ll does this guy think he is? Sorry if you're cranky because you leave no free time for yourself, but nobody needs to be scolded like little children, especially out of the blue like that. Go back to work dude. And yeah, this forum is for the ENTIRE state of PA, not just your little corner of NEPA. I hate to be the one to break it to ya, but the world doesn't revolve around you.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Guys:

Larry's a really good guy and great friend of mine! Not to mention a fantastic trail builder and freerider/downhiller!

You just waked into his scolding of "Me" He does that to me that once in a while and sometimes he's right but I usually respond to him with BBing back in his face! Don't take offense to it... that's why I said we "RIDE" kinda busting him about working and playing "SKI GUY" too much! The pic is Chirs ridng with me I took the pic hence I'm not in it.

Please look at it in a different light and if you have ever been up here you would see all lots to ride and do when the snows not stopping us from riding, including all the ball busting that goes on with friends.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    why doesn't he just use pm, then?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by RoyDean
    why doesn't he just use pm, then?
    Roy:

I can't speak for Larry nor would I, but I can assure you this: It more of a bark than a bite. I'm sure he will respond when he gets a chance! I will be riding with him on Thursday!

In the mean time look at the Hubbard site and see some of the great rides and stuff they built! Much of it by Larry!

http://www.hubbardbicycleclub.com

mtbr member
    No. Really Lee, it's aimed at everybody. I have Lee's email and I see him up Hubbard almost every Thursnight. People can't read apparently and missed the point once again just to get their left-wing vs. right-wing be heard.

the4berbs, stick Thank you for just proving my point.

Here's a pic of my last ride.
    Is that on Gamelands?
    That's illegal!
    Here's some facts I found online about the gamelands. "...."
    Not according to my buddy who works for the GC.
    I am the GC.
    I ride a 29er.
    (Locked)

I'm looking for a place to ride...
    (search function?)
    this gets posted at least twice a week.

People visiting NEPA can contact me via PM for usefull info on riding and trailwork days. You can also click on my signature. I love storys that you can read in passion and other forums, but this forum is only filled with peolpe who don't even ride or do trailwork.

Does anyone else want to prove me right? Go ahead and reply.

ttyl, God?

Nah, Fahn

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Larry:

I will keep it positive! I can say I understand and you know how hard Hubbard, NEPMTBA, Joe Tierney, the Mt Top guys and all others in Pa work to get more trails and manitain what we have already done! We are very lucky!

With that said I think you know we have a pretty tight network of good guys acomplishing lot's. We have lot's of trails to ride and enjoy! I can only speak for NEPMTBA, but I can say we have members who are mt bikers, road bikers, hunters, hikers, dog walkers & dog trainers, ATVers, motorcyclists, race car guys, BMXers and so on.

Here's and update for you I posted elsewere:
    NEPMTBA has a meeting set up with the District Forester concerning the Lackawanna Forest Extention Trails on Plymouth Mountain. It has become a hot bed of mt biking and the poeple involved down that end of the valley are very excited to have this happening! I can tell you the hills are Hubbard like. With John G's saying "One more hill ringing out" and there even talk of a mini Hubbard barn set up. That's what makes us smile total forward progress with no sense of negative Drama.

So, I will see you at Hubbard Thursday night we will ride and laugh and remember:

"If your looking forward you can be looking back"

I'm more of a dog person

You have issues

The only point you made with this whole rant is how much of a hypocryte you are. If you had issues with people's behavior on the forum you should have tried coming across a little nicer. All you did was alienate yourself. Some of us on these boards with less history than you don't even have a clue what your're whining about in the first place. You complained about people e-fighting too much, and look what you started - more e-fighting. Nice going Sherlock. Plus, if you look around on the rest of these forums, you'll see that this kind of behavior that you are so against is taking place everywhere, not just PA. It's a part of human nature, you have good people and you have your a-holes. Get down off your high horse, realize that NEPA is not the whole state, and quit crying like a little girl. Better yet, stick to your passion forum, we don't need people like you around here, even if you think you're the only "rider" or "trailbuilder" around. Pompus a$$.

Inbred Homebrewer
    No. Really Lee, it's aimed at everybody. . . this forum is only filled with peolpe who don't even ride or do trailwork.
    If you say so.

Do you honestly believe that statement? Or are you just trying to be offensive and holier than thou to provoke some kind of argument? In the case of the former, you might be delusional. In the latter, how is that even the least bit "useful" to anyone? Just curious...

And, btw, Larry - the reason you don't see me at Hubbard every week is because the 3 hr drive from work makes it a little bit...err...impossible!?! But I guess it never occured to you that the rest of us might ride every bit as often as you in our own parts of the state? Or that we might pitch in to maintain trails that (believe it or not) exist outside of NEPA. I'm sure you all are doing great things, but this thread is doing very little to entice me to take a drive north and explore the wonders NEPA has to offer with you as my guide.

Kindly pull the stick from your ass, and I might reconsider.
    Last edited by Stick; 01-10-2008 at 06:16 AM.

banned
    Off-topic, but I was wondering for the last year if we can have some submissions for events and bigger rides on the calendars from all over the state?

long standing member

Flamebait

This thread is flamebait. The OP had nothing to say other than to throw insults at PA forum participants, complain and toot his own horn.

Linky

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Off-topic, but I was wondering for the last year if we can have some submissions for events and bigger rides on the calendars from all over the state?
    JC:

Did you mean rides we did last year?

Hubbard had the Jamboree(3 days of riding, fun and food) in July of 07 and they are having it again this year, I think it is July again.

NEPMTBA had and has rides all the time, but not formal get togethers, just regular rides announced that sometimes turn into lots of people showing up.
    We also have our Frances Slocum Tuesday night ride... every Tuesday... LOL!

Stick:

Nice picasa website! I like the pic of the guy flipping the bird(too Larry I guess?) and to the right it says report inappropriate content... LOL!

Does the On One have a long top tube hence the short stem? Nice frame details. What size rear tire can ya get on the back? Shhhhhhhhhhhh.... Larry doesn't like 29ers... so does On One make a 29er? I never really looked at them, but your's is a Cool Ride! Man, now I want a rigid 29er with the same segmented detail on the fork! That would ROCK!

Stop posting this s**t now I gotta go look at thier website!

Last edited by NEPMTBA; 01-10-2008 at 09:05 AM.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA

JC:

Hubbard had the Jamboree(3 days of riding, fun and food) in July of 07 and they are having it again this year, I think it is July again.

NEPMTBA had and has rides all the time, but not formal get togethers, just regular rides announced that sometimes turn into lots of people showing up.

Stick:

Nice picasa website! I like the pic of the guy flipping the bird(too Larry I guess?) and to the right it says report inappropriate content... LOL!

Does the On One have a long top tube hence the short stem? Nice frame details. What size rear tire can ya get on the back? Shhhhhhhhhhhh.... Larry doesn't like 29ers... so does On One make a 29er? I never really looked at them, but your's is a Cool Ride! Man, now I want a rigid 29er with the same segmented detail on the fork! That would ROCK!

I mean the upcoming events. I know of some, but no central place to find them. I love to explore different regions of Pa, but there's no central place to find all the events and different places in one.

I think all the sites should cross-promote the other regions and include some regional maps and other stuff if a bit of "unification" is being sought after for the good of all. IMO, Pa has world-class riding and is something of a well-kept secret, something I am not necessarily against, but for those in the know, it's nice to decide to head in and pick at random where to go based on how long I'm willing to drive.

Pa's a playground for great riding and good people to ride with.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    JC:

Inbred Homebrewer

Stick:

That particular bird was orignally directed at the pic's photographer (mtbr's ex-de facto Minister of Ballbreaking, Pete Fagerlin - http://www.petefagerlin.com) after a long day riding DH at Mount Snow. It's a pretty old pic at this point, but I still get some miles out of it now & then.

Yeah. Long is a relative term, but its top tube is longer than the Cove Handjob it replaced - so I went with the stubby 80mm stem. Overall, it suits me just fine the way its configured right now. There's still much I liked better about the Cove, but: a) Cove's prices have gone way up since I bought mine, and b) The handjob isn't designed for anything longer than a 4" travel fork. So, On-one won me over with the versatile (and affordable) 456.

Tire clearance is good, but probably measures up a little short of what On-One claims. If you believe them, it'll fit up to a 2.8" tire. My eyeballs tell me anything wider than a 2.6" would be pushing it. I'm running either Tioga Yellow Kirin 2.3 or Factory DH 2.3 at any given time. While those seem fat for their claimed size and there's still *plenty* of room for mud clearance, I just don't see a 2.8" ever working. Also had a WTB wierwolf 2.5" on there w/ no problems at all - but that almost seemed narrower than the 2.3s mentioned above. Anyway...

I don't know if they make a 29er or not, nor does it matter to me. I like my 26" wheels! Check the site. If you just want something with similar seatstays, check out DeKerf. I'd be surprised if they DIDN'T make a 29er by now.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Thanks Stick:

I was on their site(OnOne) and they list a 29er but it doesnt seem like the're up on it yet. No problem, the 29er works for me cause I'm tall 6'3" I thought it would be cool looking with the segmented front and rear frame sections. I ride rigid!

JC: I guess the only list now is Dirt Rag! You can do the serch thing to find all the past posts about such a topic, but your right it would be easier to have it all on one page, like the racing listings. Might not be a bad idea to post a "topic" and explain to the users to post all new events on that post, hence bringing it back to the top evertime someone adds something. Trying to get them to do that is another thing. In the past I asked for similar Sticky for Pa but never happened. I feel each forum should have a Sticky to provide such info.

Larry's links do provide most of the stuff up here in NEPA and what he doesn't have we(NEPMTBA) do.

LC

Uphill hater
    Bawahahahaha..my first time back to MTBR in well over 2 months and this is the first post I read! LOL, nothing's changed!! Wow, I mean wow!

Larry: Jesus, dude, it's OK. Really. I agree there's a lot of back and forth but it's like a TV, if you don't like it, turn it off. But it is like a trainwreck sometimes, isn't it? You can't help but watch.

Lee! You old dog you! How you been? I've been working down in MD but am back in PA again full time! You still owe me and Dalton a tour of your fine riding trails! You wouldn't recognize him from a couple of years ago, he's a big kid now and out rides his old man! Seriously, looks like you guys are doing great guns up there and I'm really looking forward to getting to ride with you guys!

4berbs: Seen you post on other bike sites and thanks for taking the point on the Blue Mt. thing, that's to fookin awesome and I'm looking forward to it and helping out in anyway i can.

It's winter folks, traditionally this is what happens when people can't be outside riding their bikes all the time or as much as they like.

PA riders, count your blessings..after a spring/summer/fall in Southern Maryland where they really only have one place to ride..we are blessed with an abundance of great riding spots.

We need a mountain bike weekend this spring to reconnect and get our ride on!
    Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

My blog

mtbr member

Gangs Anyone?

I suggest that we all start gangs depending on what part of the state we are from. We could ware bandanas, duke it out on our bikes, sticks in forks etc...
    Who is with me!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest
    I suggest that we all start gangs depending on what part of the state we are from. We could ware bandanas, duke it out on our bikes, sticks in forks etc...
    Who is with me!
    Only if we can do the cool 'west side story' fight routines before we rumble :LOL:
    Seriously, this is ridiculous. Honestly, I don't care if someone wants to declare themselves a trail god or blow their own horn, but as I have been reminded in the past, this forum is for the entire state, not just one part of it so lighten up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Wouldnt the "west side story fight" be the fight? If not you can count me out! And if I could blow my own horn......agh, nevermind.....

mtbr member

west side story style is fine

we could also do brakedance wars, the better breakdancer wins.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

We the people ...

Quote Originally Posted by dankilling
    Only if we can do the cool 'west side story' fight routines before we rumble :LOL:
    Seriously, this is ridiculous. Honestly, I don't care if someone wants to declare themselves a trail god or blow their own horn, but as I have been reminded in the past, this forum is for the entire state, not just one part of it so lighten up.
    Ya, just because the NE is undisputed center of E Fighting dating back thousands of years when we crawled in and out of coal mines digging the fuel that kept your a** warm all winter. We deserve to keep fighting the good fight and we will!

Your all jealous!.......................................... . LOL!

But, we can't top the screen name "Sizzle Chest" maybe we can get him to move here! With that name we could use him!

Gunner: We are taking permits to ride in our "KINGDOM" here in the great NE so sign up soon and often... All hail Texas... LOL! We are planning an E fighting weekend really soon, but we have to find time away from the usual E fighting, so we will have to check our schedules to fit it in... What you don't like that? What;s your problem? Ya... well I know a guy who has a trail that better than your mom's trail so there!

I talked to Larry last night as we rode up the mighty Hubbard hill and he is giving you all a week to think up a really good responses. Then he's going to respond, bring helmets and safety gear! No SS, rigid, 29ers allowed, except mine!

"Warriors" come out and play... go rent the movie

You can't ride WHAT?

Disclaimer: The entire post is meant to give the user a feeling of laughter and joy. and no real trails were used in the testing of so said post. Furthermore... a sense of humor is required to view this post! If you do not own one you can contact: SizzleChest@MTBR.PA/forum.Ralphie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast