Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    my church is the woods

the PA forum: Quality vs Quantity

Since most of our trails are buried under several feet of snow, let us have a drop some brain farts in this thread about what we'd like to see in this forum.

A discussion/disagreement was started here that I feel deserves to be put in it's own thread, instead continuing to "hijack" that one.

Some thoughts I have, and this is not intended to "offend" or "personally attack" anyone, I will share for those who care to read and discuss. This is one from that other thread; "the main reason this forum has become so lame is that some people feel the need to use it as their own personal blog...starting a NEW thread each and every time they go for a ride. There is nothing wrong with this type of content, except that most everyone on the interweb has found their appropriate place: some use blogger or wordpress, some use facebook and the like, some even have their own website...but the general idea is that people share stuff where it's not intrusive to the rest of the PA forum users. my suggestion would be to put all your rides into a new post on ONE thread, like eastcoaststeve does. When you have a full 1/3 of the threads started on this page, it just drives people away".

So, my question is: does the quantity of the new threads degrade the quality of this forum? I'm just going by what I experience here, and I'd like to know what everyone else thinks. Example; if I go to a park and I see trash laying around everywhere, and I see people continuing to throw litter on the ground, and I ask them why they are littering? the reply is that "we'll if you don't like the litter, then just don't look at it"....Now what would you do? try to clean up the litter and put it all in one receptacle? would you just leave and find a new park to play at? would you try and work with the people littering and educate them as to why it's degrading your experience there?

This is a forum for the entire state of PA. My intention is to help make it a better place where we can all come together as a mtn bike community and share stories, post info, discuss the trails, etc.

So this is the thread to share what YOU would like to see, or not see, on this forum. Being that we have no real moderator here, it's up to US as a statewide group to moderate ourselves.

Did you ever have ham?

"This is a forum for the entire state of PA. My intention is to help make it a better place where we can all come together as a mtn bike community and share stories, post info, discuss the trails, etc."

I agree with that statement! When someone does something in PA like a ride, pick up trash, make trail improvements I would really like to hear about it! Things like that help everyone. If I post up about a ride I did and there are some interesting historical items on that ride, perhaps someone will learn something or want to go there to see for themselves. If you, me, or anybody else picks up trash or helps to improve trails in anyway, I want to hear about it!

Even though some feel they don't belong here, I enjoy reading about people skiing, snow shoeing, and drinking beer! How do you feel about that?

I will step down from my soapbox shortly...just a few thoughts before I go. When you scroll down the front page, under each title, is the author's name. If the title doesn't apply to you or you have no interest in hearing what the author has to say...MOVE ON!!! I am not trying to sound like an arse when I say that, but how about a little maturity and common sense!

Have a nice day!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Seems the threads that are on here are about people sharing stories,posting trail info,conditions etc..If some of those stories include skiing,snow shoeing,moto etc. that is good.Good to see people mixing it up especially with all the snow.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Lots of suppport for NEPMTBA in the other thread.

In this thread I would like to see moonraker anawer questions put to him from this thread where he personally attacked myself and others:
    2/10/10 Wednesday Ride, Early Bird, Quad guys RULE!

Along with that I would like moonraker to define his view of: Quality? It could only be his personal view of things since he spoke it. Quality is in the eye of the beholder. moonraker considers MTBR to be lame! Aren't there other threads to view, or does moonraker call them lame also? why not just view them? So does that reflect on the whole site and everyone involved? Is everyone lame in the pa forum?

My response is: If my threads weren't of some kind of quality and follow the rules they would be removed.

I would like moonraker to please show me where in the forum rules it says "if you want to post frequently please do so on your own blog?

In this thread; I would like to know: When was the last time moonraker posted a worth while thread before the "best trails" thread(good thread by the way, but it has been asked many times before which isn't wrong) So how long ago did moonraker start a thread here in the pa forum? You don't contribute very often.

Why didn't you answer my questions in the other thread?
    I'm waiting as is everyone for you to answer the questions put to you!

Here's one question from the other thread: Who are you calling bullies? Need help? NEPMTBA, mxer, motoman465, dirtrider6, others, who?

And your comment of "taking the forum back"? To where? Your ownership?

You have lot of nerve offering education when you personally attack others. So who are the bullies?

Seems the only problem is in your head, and in your response you have abused people trying to get some personal point across. Now your buried in comments that you can't backpedal from. You think you can personally attack me and others and were going to take it? YOUR WRONG! Do you think you hide behind a screen name? I know who you are! I know your name, so that won't work.

NEPMTBA guys ride everyday and sometimes twice a day in the snow or dark, and we contribute to MTBR cause it's not lame as you say in your personal view of things. MTBR is great and allows all to share info and education with all who seek it.

I would strongly suggest to you that you really think and look hard cause your personality is showing for all to see!

Thanks, and please answer the questions!

edit add:

The offer for pizza and beverages is still on the table, with personal discussion included.
    Last edited by NEPMTBA; 02-11-2010 at 10:14 AM.

my church is the woods
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    Lots of suppport for NEPMTBA in the other thread.

In this thread I would like to see moonraker anawer questions put to him from this thread where he personally attacked myself and others:

why you are still insisting that this was a personal attack? is this just how you handle a difference of opinion?
    2/10/10 Wednesday Ride, Early Bird, Quad guys RULE!

Along with that I would like moonraker to define his view of: Quality? I would say that Quality is a very subjective thing. Many years ago I read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance which took on the nature and philosophy of Quality. Pheadrus would have better insite than me on that topic. It could only be his personal view of things since he spoke it. Quality is in the eye of the beholder. moonraker considers MTBR to be lame! I never said I consider MTBR to be lame! I was referring to this forum and where it has devolved to, and gave my opinion of why I feel that way. Aren't there other threads to view, or does moonraker call them lame also? why not just view them? So does that reflect on the whole site and everyone involved? Is everyone lame in the pa forum?

My response is: If my threads weren't of some kind of quality and follow the rules they would be removed.

I would like moonraker to please show me where in the forum rules it says "if you want to post frequently please do so on your own blog? again, I never said you or anyone is "breaking the rules or guidelines", but simply I offered some solutions to keep what, in my opinion, is excessive new threads posted every time a ride happens, in to a more singular like area, be it a personal blog, website, etc.
    In this thread; I would like to know: When was the last time moonraker posted a worth while thread before the "best trails" thread(good thread by the way, but it has been asked many times before which isn't wrong) So how long ago did moonraker start a thread here in the pa forum? You don't contribute very often. Yes, there is a reason that I and many others I know of don't post here very often anymore, and that was kinda the point of all this was to put out here WHY there is a lack of participation here....need more hints?

Why didn't you answer my questions in the other thread?
    I'm waiting as is everyone for you to answer the questions put to you!

Here's one question from the other thread: Who are you calling bullies? Need help? NEPMTBA, mxer, motoman465, dirtrider6, others, who? I think everyone is capable of making up their own minds who they consider a bully. I'll let your post here speak for itself

And your comment of "taking the forum back"? To where? Your ownership? NO, just a more balanced and inviting place, since like I said, you have a full 1/3 of all new threads started on this PA page.... quantity over quality. I said flat out that I have no problems with anyone's posts or threads, just offering suggestions and solutions for self moderation and categorization. It's not up to me, that's why I started this thread; to gather opinions of everyone who looks in here, find out why they do or do not participate.

You have lot of nerve offering education when you personally attack others. So who are the bullies? wait a sec..., who's attacking who?

Seems the only problem is in your head, and in your response you have abused people trying to get some personal point across. Now your buried in comments that you can't backpedal from. You think you can personally attack me and others and were going to take it? YOUR WRONG! Do you think you hide behind a screen name? I know who you are! I know your name, so that won't work. are you threatening me now?

NEPMTBA guys ride everyday and sometimes twice a day in the snow or dark, and we contribute to MTBR cause it's not lame as you say in your personal view of things. MTBR is great and allows all to share info and education with all who seek it.

I would strongly suggest to you that you really think and look hard cause your personality is showing for all to see! yup, yours is too

Thanks, and please answer the questions!
    happy trails!

Did you ever have ham?

Are You Threatening Me???
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    My boss once told me "Never give a coconut to a monkey- he will just throw it at you." Good advice.

Did you ever have ham?
    I THINK "quality" is a very personal thing...just as asking what is the best trail in PA! My OPINION might be that trail A is better that trail B, while your opinion may be the opposite! Does that make one opinion more valid than the other! I think not my diminutive friend! Therefore, IN MY OPINION that means the Best Trail thread falls into the "Lack of Quality dumpster. Guess what, it does not matter what my opinion is...you have the right to post it on here just as anybody else has the right to participate if he or she feels so inclined! If someone does not post something up here and then cries about it because someone has too many posts...they might want to check their diaper! Ride On!!!

Did you ever have ham?

Quote Originally Posted by dankilling
    My boss once told me "Never give a coconut to a monkey- he will just throw it at you." Good advice.

Awwww, quit monkeying around!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails the PA forum: Quality vs Quantity-monkeyinaround.jpg  

my church is the woods
    Quote Originally Posted by motoman465
    If someone does not post something up here and then cries about it because someone has too many posts...they might want to check their diaper! Ride On!!!
    why the personal attack on me ??!!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Guys, thanks for the entertainment between rides... LOL

ride

mtbr member
    Honestly, compared to the other forums, the PA forum is not terrible! Look at all the drivel in the turner forum or the chumba forum.

I don't love NEPMTB's post, but so what. He likes it and I am sure some people do.

And also, the forum is pretty dead anyway so who cares if he posts in it and makes it his own little blog.

mtbr member

From the thread in question

I posted this and still have no answer of why NEPMTBA does not use his own sticky. This would clear up a lot of the issues.

"I don't know you, and will not pass judgment to your intentions to spread the sport or the word. I will say that you have a sticky at the top of the page and a quick count of the first 50 threads you started 16 of them. Why can't you post there? I don't go to NEPA to ride, and just don't care to know what is going on right now. If I did I would go to your sticky to find out."

Can't feel my legs
    my account>buddy/ignore list>done. Seriously people, how hard is that?

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JPark
    my account>buddy/ignore list>done. Seriously people, how hard is that?
    Yup works great! Added a few new one's today.

ride

my church is the woods
    yeah, I'm fully aware of the "ignore user" option. but Like I said in my analogy to trash in the park, some choose to ignore it, others choose to go elsewhere, and some will try to clean it up.
    The thing which the "ignore user" feature can't do however, is bring back all the dozens of people who I have spoken to, and the dozen or so who have PM'd me, the have chosen not to participate here on the PA forum anymore. I believe the bigger the number of statewide participants here adds quality to the substance.

What's more is that nempta has his own website and shoutbox on his frontpage where he can have all the discussion he wants with people who want to do so, but instead he uses this forum constantly.

mtbr member
    I for one enjoy all of the new posts with pics and ride reports. I'm not going to visit each personís personal web page or blog to find out how their ride was. I click PA and see who went riding and how their ride was. I get to check out some new riding areas through their pics and view their equipment as well. If you donít like those threads donít read them. Simple enough I think.
    If you look for the truth outside yourself, it gets farther and farther away. ~ Tung-Shan

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay68442
    I for one enjoy all of the new posts with pics and ride reports. I'm not going to visit each personís personal web page or blog to find out how their ride was. I click PA and see who went riding and how their ride was. I get to check out some new riding areas through their pics and view their equipment as well. If you donít like those threads donít read them. Simple enough I think.

If this type of thing annoys you, then forums are not for you. Maybe start a blog?

smell my finger
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay68442
    +2

Ride da mOOn Moderator

No good

In my opinion and I think all would agree:

That post was not only disgusting but amish matt would even joke about a subject such as that is really looking for trouble for himself.

It garnered enough observation that it was removed.

Have no fear it's copied & pasted and backed upon CD

Well...the person who started this thread said "he's bringing back his friends"

To me I don't know why he would waste his time trying to stop a group of really nice people and myself from posting great threads, but he seems driven..

...driven right into a bottomless hole!

I'd rather...

...ride

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Have any of these people added anything constructive to the Pa. section?Seems they just complain about people that ride.Maybe even more then they do and that is another thing that irritates them?

If you guys ride how about posting up some pics and stories of where you rode and how it was.Love to see some new places to ride.After all thats what this forum is for.Posting about your rides telling stories and updating trail conditions.Was even mentioned at the top.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

mxer/all:

Like I said it's all about...

...ride

I guess we post too many great ride threads, and I refuse to abuse anyone. I know I'm not perfect and I have faults, but through my riding I try to improve all that I can. There is no showing off, heck we have a blast and so do others that ride with us and our group is open to all who wanna come along.

In fact the offer to meet us and have a great dinner and beverages is still in there. It would be good! I have no fear of anyone! Good karma comes to me ya know, and you've raced moto with me and seen me up to my neck in mud. Never give up! You know me long enough to know that I have very thick skin and have seen all the head games in moto racing where the machine is a weapon! I thrive on it, it's just like putting another machine in the winner circle. I can taste it! Sleepy MX in March woo hoo!

Bagging on me personally doesn't hold any justice when NEPMTBA is way more than just me. It just gives myself and NEPMTBA more publicity! Negative or positive they're all taking "NEPMTBA" In this thread with over 400 view NEPMTBA is in it and will stand strong and prove our worth. People just wanna ride and enjoy, to get away from stuff like this crap. We all see too much of this at work and in regular life. Riding is living for me and all else is just waiting to ride again , I think others feel the same too! Life, work ride, repeat...

If NEPMTBA makes it eaiser or builds another trail for all to enjoy by everyone who rides or visits then all this BS holds no weight, other than to prove the falsehoods spoken here. Answering questions with questions and trying to turn around the questions to face me is nonsense. I was minding my own business in a thread and he intruded and started his rant on me and NEPMTBA that had no bearing on the thread.

I guess he thought I was stupid, well... I have him lock, stock, and barrel and he didn't open the fight the right way. The text is there and he can't back pedal from it.

OK so he was mad at me for whatever reason. I don't care and I'm not mad at anyone(don't have the time for that), the correct thing to do since ride time is a waist'in is say:

"Hey I 'm sorry, let's go forward and...

... ride

Blue Pig
    You will ALWAYS have people in life who want to destroy what little people have being that on the internet or in real life. Just ignore them because they don't last.

Like others have stated...

If you don't like a thread or person then do not click to read. It's as simple as that.
    I give positive rep all around but then I get negative rep from all the clowns.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Blksocks
    You will ALWAYS have people in life who want to destroy what little people have being that on the internet or in real life. Just ignore them because they don't last.

Like others have stated...

If you don't like a thread or person then do not click to read. It's as simple as that.
    Hey where you at?

Show us your trails...

We gotta ride and hang for some grub sometime!

mtbr member
    Don't worry Moonraker, I'm with you. I agree that there is only so much capacity on the PA forum for pics of the same bikes, sweatpants, fire roads and the combinations of the aforementioned. If you have something unique, then let us see it. Otherwise, the look at me ego stroking might best be kept on a personal venue . I would suggest that you take the same advice given by the chest beating, ground stomping crowd and ignore them. You are not alone.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast