Thread: PA in the fall

Wzl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

PA in the fall

I will be heading to Philly in late October, early November for a week for work.

How's the riding then? Will it be really cold?

Would it be worth it to ship a bike out? The cost of flying one is ridiculous.

Is there any worth while riding in downtown or would I be screwed without a vehicle to get me to the trails? Or should I just bring the road machine?

Cheers...........

Freshly Fujified

Hard to answer

Quote Originally Posted by Wzl
    I will be heading to Philly in late October, early November for a week for work.

How's the riding then? Will it be really cold?

Define "cold". Could be still in the 50's, could be 30's. Ya just don't know

Would it be worth it to ship a bike out? The cost of flying one is ridiculous.

Again, hard to say. If you like biking, bring one. I think Philly is worth it

Is there any worth while riding in downtown or would I be screwed without a vehicle to get me to the trails? Or should I just bring the road machine?

No trails downtown, but you're within about 5 miles of some nice trails at Wissahickon. Also, many buses in our lovely public transportation system have bike carriers up front. Good possibility that one of these buses will drop you off close to decent trails. If you're a roadie, I would guess that so long as there isn't any snow, there is plenty of paved paths and road to ride. Great way to explore the city, it's historic districts, and other places of interest. It's probably the safer bet to bring the road bike, IMO.

Cheers...........
    I hope this reply has been helpful.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    you can hop on a train and get to Thorndale which is close to marsh creek. Marsh Creek isnt huge, but the trails that are there are half ecent. The best place to ride is near the tri-stat border(DE, MD, PA) which you would have to drive to, or catch a ride with somebdoy that is going. Fair Hill, Middle Run, White Clay are all near the tri state border. French Creek, Blue Marsh, Brandywine Creek Valley Forge and Marsh Creek are all under an hour drive from center city. The tri state border parks are less than an hour as well.

Wzl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks. That was helpful. Knowing that the public transport system is good might just be the ticket.

I don't consider myself a roadie but I do enjoy the virtues of riding pavement. I love going fast down hill to work with a tail wind. Suffering uphill on the way home in 98 degree afternoon sun is the price I pay for an easy morning. I refuse to shave my legs but I finally did buy myself a road helmet. Couldn't see past the visor when in the drops.

Indeed exploring a new area on a bike of any sort is fun. Perhaps I just bring my pedals and shoes and find a decent rental. Seems there are a plethora of bike shops in Philly.

I decide it is too cold to ride when your feet and nose go numb.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    sorry bshow but; don't go to marsh creek...

there is better riding right in philly! wissahickon park is a great one about a nice 7 mile pedal from center city. there are two main bike trails along both sides a 7-8 mile stretch of creek that are pretty technical with lots of short steep ups and downs.

then there is belmont plateau which is even closer (only about 3-4 miles out) but would be harder to find the trails at without a guide.

let us know when your in town and if i am free i'd love to give you a belmont tour. it may not be the most pristine and beautiful park but it is close to the city and the trails are really sweet!

Freshly Fujified

I agree with Max

While I've never ridden Marsh Creek (plan to this Wednesday) I wouldn't make a trip that far when you have Wiss and Belmont so close by. In addition, as you see from Max's post, if you plan this in advance, chances are you'll see that some of the people who post here would be willing to be a guide on the local trails. Keep us up to speed on what your plans are, and I'm pretty sure you'll have people extending you offers to ride.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    oh and bring some lights. if you're here for work i would assume that means a post 5:30pm ride. at that time of year you'll need some lighting to get any decent amount of time on the trails.

Wzl
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks all. Good beta all around.

At this point I am scheduled to be there for a conference that runs 10/30-11/3. I am thinking of coming a weekend early or staying a weekend later to take in some of the local riding. I suppose it will be the season for light riding by then so I will bring my setup.

Will post again in October.

Cheers...........

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    sorry bshow but; don't go to marsh creek...
    I agree that Wissahickon is his best option and clearly better than marsh creek.
    I was simply giving alternatives to trails that Clyde already posted. I figure if hes thinking about shipping his bike to himself, he'll be her for more than a couple rides and will want to ride more than just one trail system. If he doesnt have a car, wissahickon(short ride) and Marsh Creek(half hour train ride) are really the only two easily accessible trail systems(I forgot about Belmont). Pretty much everything else requires a car to get to.

mtbr member
    Also be warned that you are only able to bring bikes on trains in philly during off-peak periods.