Ride da mOOn Moderator

Idea! Pa Cycling History

Here's one for ya...

...Cannonsburg Cycle Club, prizes will exceed 500 dollars, in 1895 was like racing Pro wasn't it? Anyone familiar with this area? I wonder if this is a hilly course. I could only imagine the marvel of modern GPS would tell the story!

Anyone know what a "Handicap Road Race" is?

Looks like first place wins a new bicycle "Rambler Roadster"

I thought this map was cool till I saw this link to the Rambler Roadster, nickel plating, wooden grips and rims, anatomic seat, a real "1895" modern ride:
    1894 Men’s Rambler Model 16 | The Online Bicycle Museum

Qutoe from the story:
    "quote" The Christy saddle is a very interesting seat in historical terms. It was actually designed by 19th century ‘scientists’ because of the fear in the conservative Victorian era that women might be enjoying clitoral stimulation from bicycle saddles! "/quote"

Just good to look back once in a while, if ya have any old Pa cycling history add it to this thread!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pa Cycling History-1895-2550.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    cool

mtbr member
    one of the best posts i've seen on these forums in a long time. good job. carry on.

i moto too
    Dec 2008
    "quote" The Christy saddle is a very interesting seat in historical terms. It was actually designed by 19th century ‘scientists’ because of the fear in the conservative Victorian era that women might be enjoying clitoral stimulation from bicycle saddles! "/quote"

you're on to our little secret
    at least we don't have to ride with those long dresses

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Great piece of cycling history Lee. Saw the pictures of the bike. Good look back at the way early biking was. That might have been my first bike!! Naw, I'm not that old???

mtbr member
    From the interweb:

A handicap road race is where all riders race the same distance but depending on their grading and past performances riders are allocated a handicap time with the best / fastest riders leaving last.