ol' dusty lungs

"overnight parking" at raystown

Does anyone have suggestions on a place to "park overnight" at Raystown? I'm thinking of visiting again in November and it seems like the tent camping is shut down for the season, and I can't afford the going rate for a cabin/room. Just looking for a place to park the Subaru for a night and catch some shut-eye in the back... is the lot on Bakers Hollow Road off limits? Thanks!

What bruise?
    All the campgrounds close November 1. I know that the parking areas are patrolled at night but these folks can give you the answer: Raystown.Web@usace.army.mil

If all else fails, Wal-mart parking lots are always open. Generally that ask that you park at the far ends of the lot but people set whole campsites with their RV's.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I know you said you can't afford a hotel but I stayed at the Huntingdon Motor Inn last time and they were fairly cheap, better than any other nearby hotel. It was obviously a budget oriented motel but it was clean and I had no complaints. Just go on a weekend that Penn State is playing an away game.

mtbr member
    you can check www.fourseasonsraystown.com. Don't know if its any cheaper than a motel and never stayed there, but came accross it last year as an option for the winter time. maybe you send an email to the guy over at www.allegrippistrails.com, see if he can hook you up with the info.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST