mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Opinions about Green Lane and Core Creek Park?

I am new to the Philly area and have ridden Penneypack, Wissahickon, and Mercer NJ. Thereíre all nice places to ride. Iím curious if Core Creek and Green Lane are worth the time and how they compare to Penneypack and Wissahickon? Any thoughts are appreciated.

out of shape
    core creek is a fun little ride, havent been anywhere else besides neshaminy high.
    doylestown pa
    SS cannondale F6

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I haven't been to Green Lane in over a year but here's one man's opinon.

Compared to Wissahickon, Green lane...
    • has less vertical
    • fewer rocks and fun stuff (but still enough to make an interesting ride)
    • fewer people breaking into your car
    • more horse crap (hard to believe but true)
    • fewer people
    • fewer trail options (especially on the blue trail which runs along the west side of the reservoir)
    • more speed (you can keep a good pace on trails on the northeast section - red trail I think)
    • more nature (turkeys, hawks, deer...)
    • equally disgusting water (I cringe when I see people swimming at both locations)

Park at the lot off of Knight Rd., about 1/4 mile west of Rt. 29. A couple of trails lead from this lot. Green lane is definitely worth riding, especially for a change of pace. But you're not likely to have any epic adventures.

Thumbs Up!
    I agree with AXP Ballpark. What type of riding do you like? I live very close to Green Lane and enjoy riding there. It is much smaller and offers less challenging terrain, but it is typicaly less crowded. I like riding the singlespeed at Green Lane, and if I am making the trip to Philly/Wiss I take the full squishy.
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Sounds like both parks are worth checking out.

I'm 44 and smoked for 20+ years, so the hills in Wissahickon are a little tough, but I'm able to make most of them after 3 months of never giving up until I drop. My wife just started riding a month ago, so these parks might be perfect to build her confidence.

Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Any maps available for Green Lane?

Thanks

Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by WindWalker
    Any maps available for Green Lane?

Thanks
    Maps are available at the Environmental Education Center located at 2144 Snyder Road.Green Lane PA 18054. Their phone # is (215) 234-4528

I have one, but I do not have a scanner.
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    [QUOTE=john.wilkinson@datacon.at]Sounds like both parks are worth checking out.

I'm 44 and smoked for 20+ years, so the hills in Wissahickon are a little tough, but I'm able to make most of them after 3 months of never giving up until I drop. My wife just started riding a month ago, so these parks might be perfect to build her confidence.
    QUOTE]

Hey John, I live right near Core Creek. I'm kinda new to MTB'ing and I'm a bit out of shape so I had a real hard time with the Wissahickon trails myself (I like coming down, just not going up!LOL).

I like the trails at Core Creek, they'e a good fit for someone like me, no killer ascents, but still enough stuff to keep it fun and interesting. It is a smaller park, so you're not going to spend all day there really, but again, enough trails to keep you busy for an hour or two.

If you ever want to ride, let me know. I'm always up for it!

Jonathan