mtbr member
    Apr 2010

One day (9/16) in NE Pa. Ride suggestions?

I'm in SE Pa (Lancaster) and have a weekend without wife or kids. I need a riding adventure. Allegrippis is a little over 2hrs away and I've been there 3 times. I hear about these places in the NE, but don't know which is worth 3hr plus driving. Depending on travel time, I might leave Saturday evening to drive up and camp somewhere, preferably in a state park. Get breakfast somewhere Sunday morning, which isn't easy to do here, and ride most of the day before driving home. Suggestions?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Well...

...being partial to Moon Lake I would say you'll prolly find others riding there this weekend, if I was around I would show you around but I'm out of town this weekend. Others are Merli Sarnoski, Moosic Mt, Lackawanna SP

You'll have to check state park websites for camping as some places close camping after Labor Day I think Lackawanna has camping in the fall though.

Moon Lake is near to Ricketts Glen and Frances slocum State parks for camping.

Our friend Adam has been traveling up on Wednesday nights from Lacanster to Ride da mOOn with us, so it is worth it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Mapquest says 2hr33min to Moon Lake park. Is there 5hrs worth of riding there?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    more then 5 hours worth for sure

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Merliiiiiiiiiiiii. Merli is worth 3 hours of driving

Merli or Prompton, and for extra miles you could also ride Moosic, as you drive right past it to get to both.
    Merli - Ride CW hitting all blue trails.
    Prompton - Ride the outermost loop CCW
    Moosic

That's more than a full day.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    There's likely other options further north, but Francis Slocum SP has camping, and puts you within easy drive distance to everything Wilkes-Barre / Scranton / etc.

I know of a couple guys who are planning on riding at Moosic Mtn on Sunday, I don't know when they are planning to be there, but I'd guess 9- or 10- am at the latest. There's easily 3+ hours of riding there alone with a large variety of terrain and great scenery (it's high up so you get some pretty nice views of the valley).

If I wasn't already committed to a ride at Rattling Creek I'd hook up with you, sorry.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Not camping now. I got a late start today and went to Rattling Creek for the first time. Rode most of the singletrack trails in 3 1/2 hrs. Leaving for the Moon at 0700 tomorrow and might hit Swatara on the way home. My weekend of PA MTB exploration is shaping up well so far, except for the dent in my 4 month old Ventana chainstay and dinged carbon fiber handlebar from today. Rattling Creek has some pretty rough rock gardens. Definitely the opposite of Allegrippis.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by justinkoolaid View Post
    more then 5 hours worth for sure
    Maybe if you rode the park 3 complete laps you'd get 5hrs out of it.
    "yea that's right, I stand up to shift"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Got-Bike!! View Post
    Maybe if you rode the park 3 complete laps you'd get 5hrs out of it.
    Not what I wanted to read right before leaving. Oh well, I guess it will be 3 laps then. Or maybe I'm a lot slower than you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sammon287 View Post
    Not what I wanted to read right before leaving. Oh well, I guess it will be 3 laps then. Or maybe I'm a lot slower than you.
    I guess it does have to do with speed. I guarrantee you'll have a great time no matter how long you ride.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Most people are a lot slower than Got-Bike!!. Seriously.

Not Chuck M. though. heh heh heh.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    One of the times I actually brought and turned on my gps. It read that Murphy and I did 11mi at an average pace of 10mph. We did the outside loop plus some bonus trails. Lots do do there in all kinds of directions.

don't tread on me
    Jun 2004
    What kind of shape are the trails that were in the vicinity of the logging @ Merli years back- connex, porcupine cliffs, etc?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by dieseldog View Post
    What kind of shape are the trails that were in the vicinity of the logging @ Merli years back- connex, porcupine cliffs, etc?
    Great shape lots of people worked to get it up and running again even a new trail called Zipline. There is a thread here somewhere if you feel so desired to do a search.