Cyclovore

Nthrn Cam to Central Clearfield

Are there any reliable riders in the Northern Cambria to Central Clearfield area? I know that here in "coal country" the rednecks are thick as deer flies in July, but I refuse to believe that I'm the only serious cyclist in this area. The amount of riding in this retirement community is flabbergasping. My usual riding partner has a case of "The wife dictates my life blues." I don't have that illness. My wife accepts my bike as the affair in our marriage. There are a few others in the area, however, I grow tired of waiting for them at there meeting point, and not a one shows. Thats right you wannabes, you know who your are. My dog cannot keep up, my bar buddy does not converse very good, and my walkman is gonna get me killed. If I'm doomed to be the only spandex clad two wheeler, in the area then so be it. I will travel to ride with a group if I have to. So I suppose, I could go just about anywhere.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kline
    Are there any reliable riders in the Northern Cambria to Central Clearfield area? I know that here in "coal country" the rednecks are thick as deer flies in July, but I refuse to believe that I'm the only serious cyclist in this area. The amount of riding in this retirement community is flabbergasping. My usual riding partner has a case of "The wife dictates my life blues." I don't have that illness. My wife accepts my bike as the affair in our marriage. There are a few others in the area, however, I grow tired of waiting for them at there meeting point, and not a one shows. Thats right you wannabes, you know who your are. My dog cannot keep up, my bar buddy does not converse very good, and my walkman is gonna get me killed. If I'm doomed to be the only spandex clad two wheeler, in the area then so be it. I will travel to ride with a group if I have to. So I suppose, I could go just about anywhere.
    Gee, I'm not sure whether to offer sympathy or just laugh and shrug. Rednecks thick as deer flies? Coal country retirement community? Wannabes?

You're probably not the only serious cyclist in your area, just the only one who takes himself so seriously. From the 'tone' of your post here, it's not all that difficult to see why the locals might leave you all by your lonesome self at the trailhead.

Get out of that spandex and go have a few beers. Loosen up, and quit tossing around the all-too-done-to-death "Pennsytucky" stereotypes. The local "wannabes" might actually go for a ride with you.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

Cyclovore

sticks the man

Your right Stick. My years of frustration, with the locals does not warrant name calling. I'm glad you slapped me in the face and woke me from my self serving rightoues dream. I do drink beer with these guys. (the problem is, thats more important than riding sometimes.) I don't want to be thought of as taking myself seriously. I take mountain biking seriously. We are all guilty of bad attitudes form time to time. I repent. Now then does anyone wish to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hey Mike

I head up that way every once in a while to visit my Grandma in Patton, where do you ride? I have never brought either of my bikes because I did not know where to go and mtb and I am a little leary of riding on the rode up there.

Next time I plan on heading up I will drop you a note on this board if you want to hook-up.

db

Cyclovore

hello dbsantacruz

Sounds good, drop me a line anytime. Patton has a vast array of good technical trails. Ever ride back River Road to Thomas Mills? Once you get back there the strips of St. Lawerence are accessible. Lots of stuff from there clear down past Seldom Seen. Cross 36 at seldom seens enterance and head back into hastings strips and trails. I believe there is actually a plan to create an ATV park to go along with Glendale's tourisms, in the St. Lawerence strips. The park will be for quads mostly, however they are setting aside like a few hundred acres for bikes and horses. Your not kidding about riding the road around here. Some idiot chick cut me off going around the big curve on 36 going towards River Road. My front tire actually rubbed her door! And then the fat sow actually had the nerve to flip me off. There is good stuff on the old trail from Patton Park to the HighSchool. The cross-country teams track is back in there. Carrolltown also has alot of good trails, including some homegrown singletrack on the family farm. Tight and technical it is sure to please.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Try Parker Dam. It's been a few years since we were there but there were lots of underutilized trails around the park. Phillipsburg has some interesting stuff. State College is surrounded by tons of trails and fire roads in Rothrock and Bald Eagle state forests. Black Moshanon has good singletrack, just watch out for the Allegheny Front Trail.

The local State College club--Nittany Mountain Bike Association, nittanymba.org--can help out with some of the Phillipsburg stuff, and all of the State College area. You may be able to get some of the locals to head your way to check out the area.

Also try Mt Nittany Wheelworks--mtnittanywheelworks.com--for info in the State College are. They all ride and know the area very well.