Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Not riding a 29r yet?

Not riding a 29r yet and still stuck on those little 26" wheels? That's like trying to ski on old non-shaped skis!

siv
    mtbr member
    Ive tried a couple with no overwhelming impressions. I still think a good fitting 26 bike is the best bet for me. AM rider at 6 ft 200 lbs. Loved the Trek remedy, wasnt impressed with the Rumblefish or Superfly.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilboy
    Not riding a 29r yet and still stuck on those little 26" wheels? That's like trying to ski on old non-shaped skis!
    [SIZE=6] OH GOD[/SIZE]

Now Larry Fahn is going to get all fired up!

You said:

29er
    skis
    and dump all in one post!

I can see the conversation from the past Hubbard night is carried over to here!

PS: you didn't mention "TRAIL BUILDING" OR "NEPMTBA"

PPS: Ben rid'in 29ers since they introduced them "RIGID" of course in SS and Gearie, but still throw a leg over the 26 "Rigid SS at times. Skiing new boards too...

NEPMTBA
    TRAIL BUILDING EVERYTHING, EVERYWHERE, ALWAYS, EVERYTIME, FOREVER

LMAO
    Last edited by NEPMTBA; 12-20-2009 at 03:43 PM.

banned
    Apr 2009
    The trails here in Southeastern Pa. were made for 29ers...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    why don't you rub it in some more, guys

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yep, 29'ers and shaped skis here!

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    I seem to do just fine on my 26r. Thanks for the tip (that I've heard 1000 times before), though.

Now broadcasting from CO
    oh boy... this old thread again...
    Brought to you by rocks.

Did you ever have ham?

Not riding a 29r yet?

Yup, I have seen alot of people that do very well on the trails with a 26r, I have also seen alot of people that do very well on the trails with a 29r. It is not the bike, it is the rider. Guess the tally stands at 1,001 now.
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PAmtbiker
    oh boy... this old thread again...
    Haha....aw, c'mon Zach.....

Hail Satin!
    Jeeze you really are board aren't you? Lay off the 29/26 debate and just go back to slacking on hipster fixie riders. OK
    In the great Ford vs Chevy debate, I choose Porsche.

Now broadcasting from CO
    Quote Originally Posted by dankilling
    Haha....aw, c'mon Zach.....
    Haha... like Zach ever follows bike racing, frequents mtbr, or cares about anything involving bikes other than the ones he owns... not Zach... try again.
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    The difference between a $3000 bike and a $5000 bike is a good dump.
    This is just right to the point - amen.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PAmtbiker
    Haha... like Zach ever follows bike racing, frequents mtbr, or cares about anything involving bikes other than the ones he owns... not Zach... try again.
    Sorry Jake-
    just figured with your sig it was Zach....

Now broadcasting from CO
    Nah... I'm just trying to get people to come... the more people come, the less I have to pay for certain races.
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm about 6'4 or so, I have a Trek with 26 inch wheels and I believe it is a large frame. Does the 29 wheel bike make that much of a difference? 3 inches to me does not sound like it would not matter all that much, or am I missing something?

Remember, real new to this so please ignore the ignorance!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by MountainbikerTrek
    I'm about 6'4 or so, I have a Trek with 26 inch wheels and I believe it is a large frame. Does the 29 wheel bike make that much of a difference? 3 inches to me does not sound like it would not matter all that much, or am I missing something?

It's great to be real new as you have lots to explore, and that's half the fun of a new area like mt biking. You fit the size dimensions more than a shorter rider, but not to say shorter riders can't ride 29ers

Don't think of the numbers, it's the overall feel of the 29er ride.As a taller rider I felt I was sitting in the bike rather than on top of it. if you can in vision that concept. If your ever on a ride with me you more than welcome to try mine, or stop by your LBS, I'm sure you can get a demo ride!

No ignorance on your part ask as many questions as you please because it's all about enjoying riding, and if I can help more the better.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I was really surprised at how comfortable I felt on the bike I was on this afternoon. On my Trek I was all squashed, the Red Line 29 D600 even though a 17 inch frame being small for me I was really impressed at the feel.

Did you ever have ham?

New Ride

Congrats on your new purchase! My friend rides a Redline 29r and the thing is reliable as a claw hammer. I was actually thinking of purchasing a Redline in the near future.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by motoman465
    Congrats on your new purchase! My friend rides a Redline 29r and the thing is reliable as a claw hammer. I was actually thinking of purchasing a Redline in the near future.
    Oh Ya, is that the guy who owns like 5 Redlines, numerous GTs, and Treks? I heard he rides way too much, and races Motos and MTBs too? Somebody tried to stop him once and they got "scared" I know him, he's got lots of friends all over the place.

You would look good on a Redline and he can get you hooked up with a new Redline for a great price!

He's RAD DUDE... LOL

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

experiment

Try rolling a half empty roll of paper towels over an object, Then do the same with a new full roll. This experiment can be done with any cylindrical item and a smaller one. This will show you the advantage of a bigger wheel.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Gilboy
    Try rolling a half empty roll of paper towels over an object, Then do the same with a new full roll. This experiment can be done with any cylindrical item and a smaller one. This will show you the advantage of a bigger wheel.
    Then add an engine to a 29er like I did for real fata**, old man fun! Goes right by spandex wearing monkeys with the greatest of ease!....LOL

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

I was really surprised at how comfortable I felt on the bike I was on this afternoon. On my Trek I was all squashed, the Red Line 29 D600 even though a 17 inch frame being small for me I was really impressed at the feel.
    Ya, sure hope ya post a pic of you and the new ride!

NEPMTBA
    SUZUKIGURL THINKS SO... LOL

Did you ever have ham?

Hey MountainbikeTrek

If you have some lights, we would love for you to be part of our Wednesday night ride at Moon Lake! You will have a great time and meet some really great people! I hope you can make it!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    It absolutely makes a big difference.

I have two MTBs, a 26er and a 29er. The 26er tends to have 2.5" tires on it and the 29er has 2.2" tires on it. Both run tubeless, and generally around 25-30 PSI. The 26er is a mid/long-travel FS and the 29er is rigid. In general the 29er rolls over stuff notably easier than the 26er.

Where my 29er loses big-time is in fast bumpy sections where the lack of suspension becomes a huge factor.

Which one is better? I decline to say. I've only been riding the 29er off and on since May and I have been riding the 26er since spring 2003 - ask me in a couple years.

If all my bikes were stolen and I had to buy a complete, whole, from the ground up new MTB that was custom built for me to my specs, what would it be?

Also hard to say. If common sense made the decision it would probably have to be a mid-travel FS 29er like a Niner RIP9 (maybe WFO), Pivot 429, Turner Sultan, Intense Tracer 29, maybe others.

Problem is, I like to ride stuff that is NOT in the realm of reason for the above (my progression over the last couple years has been to more and more chunkified trail), where I need most durable stuff and short of MAYBE the Niner WFO I just haven't seen any true big wheel possibilities there. PLUS, with my skeleton size ( 5' 9" if you're generous ) the big wheels are going to be very challenging to me on the severely steep downhills because I just won't be able to get down low enough. Shoot, I have a hard time doing that now with my 26er to the point that I went and put together a different seat post/saddle combination to swap out so I could have maximum "drop" for some specific riding (online sales are handy...).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast