mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Northern PA - Help me figure out how to get "here"

Hey everyone,

Next summer a friend and I (from philly) are hoping to ride this little jawn here:

bikepacking.net > Routes > USA-PA-North/South Route

Our biggest hurdle right now is how to get to the beginning of the route (northern end) with the least amount of headache possible.

The idea so far is to have someone shuttle us up there. Anyone in here live up that way that could give us an idea of what if anything exists near the beginning of the route? A hotel might be nice for the night before takeoff. Maybe a store nearby to pick up anything we forgot?

Also, anyone with knowledge of the area want to give me some beta on what the beginnings of this route might look like? Particularly resupply points for the first 150 or so miles.

Really any info on this route you have would be appreciated. The further south we get the easier it seems things will be; so far, figuring out the northern end (and getting up there) seem to be the hardest parts of this, aside from all the pedaling and junk.

thanks,

max

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Not familiar with the area, but from planning a cross-country trip, check Google Maps and Street View for whats in the area, what things look like, etc. You can also use it to search for places to stay, stops for food, and more.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Wellsville, NY has what most people would consider a proper grocery store, and also has some seedy motels. That being said, I'm not sure what really defines the route north of route 6 (looks to be all roads.) Might be worth considering rerouting this portion to start closer to Rt 15. Corning, NY has a Wegmans, many hotels, bike shop, anything you'd need. Would be much easier from a shuttling perspective. My $.02.

Depending on where exactly you cross Rt 6, you may be close to a resupply point.

Jersey Shore, PA will be a really good restock point.

smartass
    Pine Creek Outfitters PINE CREEK OUTFITTERS - Rafting, Canoeing, Kayaking, Biking & Hiking offers shuttle service from their shop in Wellboro, PA to the northern terminus of the Pine Creek Rail Trail in the PA Grand Canyon. You might be able to get them to shuttle you the rest of the way up to the start of your route, and leave your car with them. There would also be lodging and food available in Wellsboro, so not a bad place to start.

mtbr member
    I planned on doing the pine creek trail from pine creek outfitters to Jersey Shore next spring/summer. We plan on staying in either Cedar Run Or Slaterun overnight. I was going to have Pine Creek OF drop my vehicle off down the trail. After seeing that link posted up top I may do that section from RT 6 down to Jersey shore.
    2011 Stump Jumper
    2005 Iron Horse Warrior

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    Hey everyone,

Next summer a friend and I (from philly) are hoping to ride this little jawn here:

bikepacking.net > Routes > USA-PA-North/South Route

Our biggest hurdle right now is how to get to the beginning of the route (northern end) with the least amount of headache possible.

The idea so far is to have someone shuttle us up there. Anyone in here live up that way that could give us an idea of what if anything exists near the beginning of the route? A hotel might be nice for the night before takeoff. Maybe a store nearby to pick up anything we forgot?

Also, anyone with knowledge of the area want to give me some beta on what the beginnings of this route might look like? Particularly resupply points for the first 150 or so miles.

Really any info on this route you have would be appreciated. The further south we get the easier it seems things will be; so far, figuring out the northern end (and getting up there) seem to be the hardest parts of this, aside from all the pedaling and junk.

thanks,

max

Hey Max;

I'm planning on running this trip this summer. Maybe Late July, as warmer weather will certainly help on this route IMO. I'm super new to this BikePacking, but I love adventures. A few of us are doing the BroVet Yonder Journal thing at the end of March. Pitt to DC. Yeah it's rail trails only but.....will give me a good feel for bike packing I think.

But anyway before I get off too much, I live in Johnstown, and if I get a crew together for this ride, you're welcome to join us. You two could grab a train to J-Town and ride up with us, when I figure out how I'm going to get there myself, I'm trying to gather as much info on this ride as possible. I want to ride my Cross Bike on this route, as that's the bike I have Racks and Bags on. The only other one that I have rack mounts on is my Fat Bike....and I'm not riding that on 148 miles of Road.....ouch. But anyway, keep me in the loop, and I'll keep this thread in the loop with what our plans are.

Enjoy your winter.
    Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    vack,

sounds like a great summer plan!

i'd love to tag along with you guys but unfortunately with how my schedule lines up i am pretty much set for first or second week of May.

I have a shuttle home lined up from the southern end already, but getting up north to start is still the tricky part.

If all goes well i should have some good info for you for your trip in July!

oh and hey don't let me talk you out of that thing you have in March BUT this thing here happens end of April and actually rides some pretty nice roads for the most part (far more interesting than endless flat rail trail IMHO). Crush the Commonwealth That was my intro to the bikepacking and light touring thing. after doing it for 7 or so years i need a new challenge. it is a great route though!