mtbr member
    May 2012

northern lights at moon lake

While riding or attempting to ride at the moon this afternoon I got to see something awesome.
    Right before I packed it in for the day I kept seeing flickering and reflections on the snow. Im by myself and no lights were around or on. It had me somewhat startled until I finally realized it was auroras. It was a few moments before twilight so trying to get a head on view in the sky was difficult. But. The snow all around was glowing with amazing dancing curtains of light.
    As it is a sun cycle this year, keep your eyes open for this awesome light show. It happens here more often than people realize. They don't last long but when they do show, it is a profound moment. No matter who you are, it is awe inspiring and leaves you realizing how small we really are. That is the wonderment of what we do and why we do it.
    I wish I could have gotten pics but alas, the shutter speed on my camera was not slow enough to catch them. Pale red with purple and a few minutes of the standard green. Awesome. Sorry for going on above it

mtbr member
    May 2010

northern lights at moon lake

I saw those back in 2001 I think? Around Halloween.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Run With The Wind
    WOW how special! I would love to see this.
    You donít know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I saw the Northern Lights in this area of Pa as a kid, and would love to see them again. What a great experience that must have been for you!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    It is really hard to see the aurora in Pennsylvania. The activity needs to be a 3 (see below) or higher for it to break above the horizon (we need a 5 to see it overhead). To get it higher and higher (overhead), you have to get higher numbers. Then, you need little moon light, clear sky to the north (no clouds), and a clear northern view (tree, mountains, etc.). For perspective, the activity has only hit a 3 once this December (I scrolled through quickly; I might be wrong).

So, consider that you have the luck of the Irish! Or, whatever nationality you want to call on.

If you want to maximize your chances of seeing the Aurora, you can see the solar activity predictions out of the University of Alaska. For example, to check the forecast for Christmas (Dec. 25) this year, click this link:

Aurora Forecast | Geophysical Institute

Combine that with a clear sky and new moon and get your camera ready!

Best,
    Mark

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Yeah, I think this is the 3rd time ive seen them since being in PA. Once last year and way back shortly after moving here. Ive seen them a handful of times in my travels through Europe, no matter how many times you see them, it always catches you off guard and gives you chills. I've gone on trips for the purpose of seeing them. Guess what? When you go put of the way to seek them, nothing. Got to love mother nature. I only wish when I was traveling all over that I was into biking then. Ive only been riding for 2 yesrs. Since taking up our awesome sport I look at things differently. Things are simpler, it is or it isnt.
    Thanks for sharing the info about auroras. Being we are a place where it is slim to none to get them not much info and talk regarding them. Supposedly there were a handful of events over the late winter n early spring last year. The solar flares were particularly large at that time. Sightings were recorded as far down south as north & south Carolina. Wish we got them more often