Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

North Western PA Ride this weekend?

May head over to PA this weekend and would like to bring bike along. Any chance of trails being reasonable to ride on Sunday? I was thinking 2 mile, kennerdell, Morraine, or North Park? If so, anyone riding?

The White Jeff W
    I rode Moraine this morning and it was in pretty good shape. 2-3 inches of dry snow but pretty good riding. 2-3 more inches expected in the area tonight so not sure what it will be like this weekend.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    How much harder is Moraine with snow on it?

The White Jeff W
    Its pretty tough. The snow makes the rocks more slippery and makes it harder to read lines. I managed though. Walked some of the sketchy stuff that I didnt feel safe riding in the snow. Good tires help. Cant say enough good things about Schwalbe Hans Dampf
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails North Western PA Ride this weekend?-856660_10200729470258671_111869414_o.jpg  

North Western PA Ride this weekend?-20130305_120747.jpg  

No moss...

mtbr member
    Any idea of how Kennerdell would be holding up?

The White Jeff W
    Sorry, havent been there since 2009.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Kdell was pretty snowy last weekend. Streams are pretty high in some areas. I would hate to drive all the way there and not be able to hit certain trails, but that all depends on your familiarity with the place. Up top on the plateau it would probably be fine. If snow is gone, moraine would be a good option, but if there is snow i would hit NP. Moraine does well in the spring when the frost heave melts, it is by far the best draining place and has little mud. Moraine can be unforgiving in the snow if you make a mistake.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info. I don't know Kennerdell that well; I have only hit it a few times and fumbled my way around. It is supposed to snow, some I imagine Moraine will be a beast. North Park is always a good fall back, but a little further south than I was going to be.

The White Jeff W
    5" on the ground in Beaver Falls this morning and more coming. Its supposed to be in the 40's & 50's the next few days so it will probably be gone as fast as it came, but I would imagine places like North Park and Kennerdell will be pretty wet & muddy. Moraine might be your best bet.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Sounds like a possible Moraine adventure. Tried hammering around local trail today in snow and it was tough sleddin

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Its pretty tough. The snow makes the rocks more slippery and makes it harder to read lines. I managed though. Walked some of the sketchy stuff that I didnt feel safe riding in the snow. Good tires help. Cant say enough good things about Schwalbe Hans Dampf
    Thats a cool tread pic
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Re: North Western PA Ride this weekend?

I maybe able to join a Sunday ride at moraine. Anyone know how much snow they got. It varied so much throughout the area and less to the north.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member

No clue. I am coming in from Ohio. Only road moraine once. I am in unless someone thinks too bad
    Just looking for a ride!
    Trek Ex 8

@mattwelton

Hermit
    I'd def say Moraine over Kennerdell this weekend.

I'm come in from an hour away, so I don't have first hand knowledge of the snow cover - but here's a trick I figured out that can help. Go to weather underground (Weather Forecast & Reports - Long Range & Local | Wunderground | Weather Underground) and search for the weather in the area you're thinking of heading to. When the weather info page comes up, on the tab over the radar thumbnail click on "webcams". Find the one closest to your destination and check it out. This can give you an idea of what the general snow cover is like in the area.

Using this trick, the camera at Volant (10 miles or so NW) shows no snow, while the one for Butler (10 miles or so SE) shows some snow but a lot of grass. This seems right, since this was near the edge of the snow system last week, and there was more snow to the south. Keep in mind that the snow can hang around longer in the woods, but also temp in the area is supposed to be in the 40's Friday, and nearly 50 on Saturday. I'm betting most of the snow will be gone.

Might be some short areas that are soft - please take the minute to walk any trail that is too soft. The Alexander Road singletrack should be almost all good, as well as the short loops by Mt. Union Road and the Big Rock Hill. The areas that are worst in the wet are on the downhill that comes down towards the marina, and the loop south of the abandoned road, near the lakeshore.

I'm probably going to be out there myself on Sunday. Looking forward to a great time.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

The White Jeff W
    Sunday looks great. Mid 50's by noon. Rain Monday & Tuesday. Might have to head back up there myself.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Moraine should be clear of snow. We are riding there around 1030 on sunday. Moderately paced /tech playing ride. I wouldnt sweat any muddy spots there regardless of conditions. If issues pop up the tire tracks will be good markers for where to fix trail in a month. Not being multi use and 99% rock makes it a good place to ride come spring thaw. I am gonna work on muddy sections that are left this spring and summer because it works with my limited schedule and limited spine. The only trail that sucks in the spring thaw is the point trail by the marina, it is a suck hole.

mtbr member
    I plan on being there Sunday at 10:30. I am not that familiar with Moraine, is there only one trail head?

Hermit
    Quote Originally Posted by endo_2011 View Post
    I plan on being there Sunday at 10:30. I am not that familiar with Moraine, is there only one trail head?
    There's one main trailhead, at the Mt. Union Road mtb parking lot. You can get to it from the main North Shore road in the park. There are two other remote trailheads at small parking areas off of the Alexander Road trailhead.

Here's a map:

North Western PA Ride this weekend?-545144_10100519958596092_766592059_n.jpg

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry

My insignificant blog:

mtbr member

I'll be at main trail head at 10 30. C everyone there
    Just looking for a ride!
    Trek Ex 8

@mattwelton

The White Jeff W

I'm in. Ill be the old guy in the black subaru wagon
    No moss...

mtbr member

I resemble that remark! White Toyota truck here
    Just looking for a ride!
    Trek Ex 8

@mattwelton

mtbr member

Great ride today boys. Thanks for letting me tag along!North Western PA Ride this weekend?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1362947319.987196.jpg
    Just looking for a ride!
    Trek Ex 8

@mattwelton

The White Jeff W

Im sofa king tired...
    Last edited by jeffw-13; 03-10-2013 at 05:12 PM.
    No moss...

Hermit
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Im sofa king tired...
    I'll second that. Trails were in great shape though.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry

My insignificant blog:

The White Jeff W
    Matt, did you run your gps on that ride yesterday? Id be curious to know how many miles we covered. Im pretty sure it was 50 or 60 lol
    No moss...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast