law talkin' guy
    Jan 2004

North Central PA

I'm considering moving to the Corning, NY area, which seems to be relatively close to Pennsylvania. How is the mountain biking in the North Central part of Pennsylvania (e.g. around Mansfield)?

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i go to wellsboro every year for STPR (rally america event) ...but never been to that area to do biking

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    In a few words, very good.

Lots of opportunities in what they call the Northern Tier of PA. In the Mansfield and Wellsboro area there is the TwistedSpokes.org group, with what looks like weekly rides. They ride primarily in the Tioga State Forest lands.

South of Mansfield, roughly between there and Williamsport, there is the Tiadaghton State Forest, with many options, and west of Wellsboro to Coudersport there is additional riding, including lift served at Denton Hill State Park/Ski Area.

There's a link in this thread to GPS tracks of MTB rides in and around Tioga County (ie., Mansfield and Wellsboro). In the Starting Near field on that Garmin map site, try 'Potter County', or Corning, NY and you'll see even more options.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I do STPR every year. the riding in that general area is great. lots of trails. plus Denton Hill.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I do STPR every year as well and actually have a cabin on Stages 8-10 on 12 mile road. Awesome.
    Still trying to learn some of the trails too, but trail maintenance must be somewhat difficult just because it is such a huge area.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    wow, i never thought of taking the bike each year when i go to stpr maybe ill have to bring it in 2011 and check out some of the trails in the area

There's nothing REALLY close to Corning - you'll be a minimum 45min-1hr from anything listed above, and in New York about an hour away from:

Stid Hill MU- okay, very short, unmapped
    High Tor Wildlife MU- okay, unmapped
    Letchworth St Park - Good
    Shindagin Hollow St Forest - Fantastic