mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Nockamixon condition?

Any idea on condition of trails at the Nox?
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I rode there on New Year's Eve, first time there. Trails were mostly covered with snow but all packed down and very rideable. Some sections, through the pine trees near the pump track section were pretty sloppy with icy mud puddles. Nice trails up there, watch for hunters though we saw quite a few out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    In general, its best to ride Nox when its below freezing in the winter. Sections can get pretty sloppy because it doesn't really drain that well. See Lake Nockamixon Mountain Bike Trails - Trail Conditions for more details

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Here's an update from yesterday, posted on bikevmb.com, but yeah otherwise, look at ridenox.com for the official conditions update:

"Rode two full laps yesterday...conditions were pretty gnarly...lots of frozen ruts and it was alot icier than i thought...especially the turns...it started to thaw slightly in the last mile or two of the second lap...got sloppy real fast...If the suns out and bright like yesterday...don't bother after 1130 or so...Don't ride here unless ur sure its gonna be frozen...i would recommend studded/snow tires if you have them as its at least 60% ice luge...still fun though...but i think i will have to put this place on the DL till spring...just not worth the commute right now."
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The Nockamixon Mountain Bike Trail system is CLOSED until further notice.

Wintertime conditions including recent rains, snow and limited sunshine have combined with heavy trail usage to create extremely sloppy conditions. Consequently, ruts have begun developing in areas where extensive drainage work had already been undertaken. This traps water that would otherwise have drained properly, and creates muddy areas that predicted rains by the end of the week will only aggravate.

Please DO NOT RIDE at Nockamixon until further notice out of respect for the trails, the park management's desire to maintain them in a sustainable condition, and the Nockamixon trailbuilders who maintain them on a weekly basis year round.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kool View Post

Wintertime conditions including recent rains, snow and limited sunshine have combined with heavy trail usage to create extremely sloppy conditions. Consequently, ruts have begun developing in areas where extensive drainage work had already been undertaken. This traps water that would otherwise have drained properly, and creates muddy areas that predicted rains by the end of the week will only aggravate.

Please DO NOT RIDE at Nockamixon until further notice out of respect for the trails, the park management's desire to maintain them in a sustainable condition, and the Nockamixon trailbuilders who maintain them on a weekly basis year round.

Thanks for the notice. With the warm weather coming for the weekend, I think this is a good idea. People can't seem to figure out that in the winter, when it is above 32, it is a bad time to ride the trails. The Wiss is full of ruts from morons as well.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    will there be postings of the closure @ trailheads to keep the muppets out?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jonkranked View Post
    will there be postings of the closure @ trailheads to keep the muppets out?
    Trailheads are posted and taped off which should keep most people off the trails

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Trailheads are posted and taped off which should keep most people off the trails
    word. once the weather breaks (ie spring) i'm planning on taking my 13y/o cousin there - he's been pestering me to take him "real mountain biking" lately

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

This is so not surprising, and I think it is about time this has been done. The number of folks that just ride, and ride, and ride, and ride there, without a hint that they could care any less about the condition of the trails or the hard work of the dedicated builders, is astounding.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

mtbr member

Re: Nockamixon condition?

I can't wait to ride Nox but I refuse to until it dries up. Why do people insist on riding when it's wet?? Ruins the trails!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stunnerable View Post
    I can't wait to ride Nox but I refuse to until it dries up. Why do people insist on riding when it's wet?? Ruins the trails!
    Have people been riding it? The web-site says it is closed.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member

They have nonetheless.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    this place is by far the worst place I have ridden in PA. Those "rollers/pump track" are a complete joke. You guys can count on one less dood riding there in the mud to preserve all the "hard work" lol

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Why were u riding there? I thought it was still closed so idiots wouldn't ride there while the trails were recovering from the thaw. Just another inconsiderate rider. Before u jump all over me let it b known that i'm not a local rider. I drive from hazleton 3-4 times a year to ride there. And it is never in bad weather when i can do trail damage. At least there will be one less rider we have to worry about riding there. Thanks.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member

Trails are open now, gotta get out there soon

http://www.ridenox.com/trail-conditions.html
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

don't tread on me
    Jun 2004
    The trails were a fair bit drier than I expected. I was blown away by the amount of downed trees from the storms. Thanks to all who cleaned up the damage. We didn't have enough time for the full loop sequence but the wettest trails we came across were the usual areas in Eastern Woods. With all the downed trees can we hope for more tecnical features?

mtbr member

^^^ +1,000!

fish
    Oct 2012
    Nocamixin is one of my favorite places to ride. Its an awesome continuos single track that keeps you on your toes. If you rode there when the conditions werent ideal, don't stereotype it as a bad trail. Be considerate and ride when the conditions are rideable.
    EThe trail crew puts a lot of time and energy into maintaining the trails. I cant wait to ride there. It has been a long winter and now is the the time to ride. Live Love Ride!!!!
    Don't Limit your Challenges...Challenge your Limits!!!!!

mtbr member

Conditions are fantastic! We do need more log overs and jumps as options in the future. Maybe some pump sections. Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Yes, rode today and trails were perfect. Hadn't been out since pre-sandy, can't believe how many trees were down. I did like the smell of cedar coming through some sections though. The efforts to keep people out during the freeze-thaw must have been successful, because it felt like mid-season out there today. Good work Kenny and the rest of the crew out there!

Markers are great too - I just need to learn the names of the trails now instead of describing them in vagaries like "the one with the rocky climb" or "the one thats kinda tight through the trees".
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

singletrak junkie
    Rode Nox, for the first time last weekend before the rain and let me say this place is fun, like the trail layout, rocky up hills, creek crossing's and great scenery & the fast sections are everywhere. This trail has dedicated TM folks (seen them preparing for the rain, digging drainage routes where the potential puddles can form) . Thanks for the dedication . It motivated me to do some local TM in my area, and it felt great to help get things back to pre Sandy conditions.
    "do it in the dirt "