Inbred Homebrewer

No trails open to MTBs at Nockamixon. . .

Question is, why??

Recently bought a house ~ 5 miles from Nockamixon S.P. and would *love* to be able to ride there. Just wondering if anyone knows why there are no mountain bike trails around the lake or, for that matter, why there is only ~ 2.5 miles of paved 'bike path'?

At ~1,450 acres, Lake Nockamixon is 26% bigger than Blue Marsh! According to the park map, there are already 20+ mi of equestrian trails and many miles of hiking trails in place - but NONE are open to 'off road cycling'. So much potential. . .

I knew all of this before we moved there, so it's not a surprise or anything - just much more tempting now that we're so close to it... who's a$$ do I have to kiss to get some legal lakeside singletrack in Upper Bucks??
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    That's a good question. I have to wonder if this is the result of what happened at Tyler State Park? A person was out mountain biking back on some trails at Tyler, came across a group on horseback, one of the horses got spooked, reared-up, caused the rider to fall and break their back. Because of this, the rangers revoked a bike rider's legal ability to ride off the paved trails there...
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." - Greg LeMond

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    There was a time, maybe 10 years ago, when you could ride limited trails in one area of the park. I seem to remember they closed the park entirely due to a bunch of poaching. I think Blue Marsh also has the advantage of that sweet trail that circumnavigates the entire lake. As far as I know there is no such trail at Nockamixon.

It would be sweet to have a long ride like this in our backyard though!

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmack
    I think Blue Marsh also has the advantage of that sweet trail that circumnavigates the entire lake. As far as I know there is no such trail at Nockamixon.

It would be sweet to have a long ride like this in our backyard though!

Well, sure. BM has a multi-use trail all the way around - but it wasn't ALWAYS that way. Someone had to build it. One of my college roommates was a park ranger at B.M. back in the early 90's, and they were still working on sections of it then.

With permission, what's to stop DCNR and some local clubs from pooling resources and building a similar trail at Nockamixon?

Hell, the Bucks County Horse Park is right down the road, and there're another 20+ mi of trails there that people pay to ride on. Given the number of people with horses and money in the area, a B.M.-style multi-use trail there should be a given!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I live close to Nockamixon, too. I would be great if the trails were open to bikes.

As to a park where people would pay to ride, I am all for it if it is an XC park. I would happily pay big bucks for a UCI style XC course. I would not pay a penny for all-mountain or free-ride or whatever; I'd rather ride the crap that already exists for "free" or drive halfway across the state.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant
    I live close to Nockamixon, too.
    Ever try riding up Top Rock Trail? Talk about technical. I haven't tried it in years, but living so close to it now, I might have to try again just for laughs!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    Ever try riding up Top Rock Trail? Talk about technical. I haven't tried it in years, but living so close to it now, I might have to try again just for laughs!
    No idea what that trail is. I ride at Lehigh, Jordan Creek, Jacobsburg, and recently started riding at Green Lane.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    I would happily pay big bucks for a UCI style XC course.
    Nobody would ever build what you are asking for around here, because you'd probably be the only customer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

stay on topic people.

Now before someone gets Elephant riled up and this thread gets hi-jacked, DCNR is in the process of having state park facilities evaluated in the south-eastern and one of the recommendations from the consultant was an expansion of mountain bike opportunities at Nockamixon. Doesn't mean it will happen, but if you were to approach the Park manager about it, and perhaps started a club based in the area (or joined one of the several near by if you haven't already) they would most likely be receptive to the idea. It wouldn't be the first they had heard of it.

As for pay to play, The beauty of Pennsylvania is that state parks and State Forests are free to the populace, unless it is a concession-based activity. So Elephant, all you need to do is write the business proposal, raise the capital, contract with the trail builder and then set up your toll booth. You may want to consider selling lemonade on the side though, it might be more lucrative.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mnwfrank
    Now before someone gets Elephant riled up and this thread gets hi-jacked...

As for pay to play, The beauty of Pennsylvania is that state parks and State Forests are free to the populace, unless it is a concession-based activity. So Elephant, all you need to do is write the business proposal, raise the capital, contract with the trail builder and then set up your toll booth. You may want to consider selling lemonade on the side though, it might be more lucrative.
    Follow your own advice.

Inbred Homebrewer
    No idea what that trail is. .
    It's a hiking trail that goes from Top Rock Trail Rd. up to the top of Haycock Mountain. By the time you're about half way to the top, it's essentially unrideable because the "trail" goes from dirt to scrambling over very large boulders. Back when I first started riding, a friend and I used to take our bikes there and try to climb it 'cos we were convinced that early 90s mountain bikes were totally capable of scaling those rocks mountain goat-style.

Not really worth traveling to get to but, if you live in the area, it's worth hiking up just for the view (only good in winter when leaves don't obscure it) or for the scrambling/bouldering opportunities if you're in to that. Lots of huge slabs that are fun to play on at the top.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Sounds like a good hiking trail. I'll try to check it out this week.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    elephant:

Leading astray. but had to address! If the interest is there start a thread on this topic and I will respond more there. Sorry to STICK on the continued hijack...

Sounds like you need a Carr's park or similar. You want your idea of a UCI style course why not make the effort to build one as Frank suggests. I'm all for buff trails in one or a few areas. We have many different trails and that would be unique! Have you written letters and approached land managers? Are you willing to put out lot's of time to work on this project? You might be able to work with an existing trail to convert it to your liking.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    Dude I would stay away from Haycock Mountain and Top Rock Trail.

First, there is not much riding there without significant trail building efforts.

Second, about 7 or 8 years ago, someone put in all sorts of effort building free ride style bridges and stunts on the south side of the mountain. Since this area is State Game Lands, riding is prohibited. This area is also a huge bouldering spot. Becuase of these two issues the PGC is all over this parcel. I've seen them hike up the mountain and check climbers and hikers for orange during hunting season. They seem to enjoy handing down the $275 fines for not have the required levels of orange.

This being said, there must be enough poeple in central/northern Bucks to work on something at the Lake. Look at what has been done in a place like White Clay.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Shmack
    Dude I would stay away from Haycock Mountain and Top Rock Trail.

First, there is not much riding there without significant trail building efforts...
    I am going to hike the trail on foot. I do not ride on illegal trails. I would not ride on a trail with this description even if it were legal, anyway.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    No idea what that trail is. I ride at Lehigh, Jordan Creek, Jacobsburg, and recently started riding at Green Lane.
    how is green lane? i use the park as a home base for many of my road rides and recently noticed offroad trails. didn't know how much of it there is, whether it's legal, difficulty, etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceh
    how is green lane? i use the park as a home base for many of my road rides and recently noticed offroad trails. didn't know how much of it there is, whether it's legal, difficulty, etc.

Green lane is fun and fast. Technically, it is not that challenging. The whole loop is quite short (maybe 7-8 miles) but it can be done several times. Green lane does not drain well and so if it rains, the place is a mess. There are also a lot of horses on the weekend so you have to pick your time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceh
    Read my ride thread for my opinions of this park:

elephant ride thread - 2008

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Don't forget Sals

I you are riding in the Lehigh Valley you should also try Sals. We are up to 10 miles now in trails, all singletrack. Its not as steep as lehigh, but still has some good climbs and according to Jay DJ, some off-camber sections! (the off camber stuff probably means we didn't get around to doing the whole 9 bench cut yet!)

The is also South Mountain Emmaus, which you can access from Alpine St off Emmaus ave. There is a new trail there to get up on the ridge which replaces the old cistern trail

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarswheelies
    I you are riding in the Lehigh Valley you should also try Sals. We are up to 10 miles now in trails, all singletrack. Its not as steep as lehigh, but still has some good climbs and according to Jay DJ, some off-camber sections! (the off camber stuff probably means we didn't get around to doing the whole 9 bench cut yet!)

The is also South Mountain Emmaus, which you can access from Alpine St off Emmaus ave. There is a new trail there to get up on the ridge which replaces the old cistern trail
    Sals is OK. I rode there late last year for the second time and thought the trails below the baseball field were OK. What I think were the newer trails out toward Reeb Millwork were better than the trails I had ridden in early 2007.

I have also ridden Emmaus. There was a nice section of trail along a power line (I think), and a couple smooth sections of singletrack, too. I might go there again.