mtbr member

Night riding at the Wiss

So, is it OK to go night riding at the Wiss?

FOW's site says the park curfew is 1AM. A friend said that there is no riding between 10PM and 6 AM on the annual guide they send with the permit. I'm too lazy to pull mine out and re-read it.

I got some kickass lights and definitely want to try it at least once this fall. What say you?
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

don't tread on me
    Jun 2004
    There's a limited window of early closures during the deer cull but other than that, check Philadelphia Park and Recreation's site. Some of the gated lots will close earlier.

mtbr member
    I usually park at Northwestern Ave so I should be ok there. Will check out the site. Thanks!
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    There was an earlier curfew during the winter, at least last year. Park closed at 8, IIRC. November to March, maybe?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    they had a really dumb dawn till dusk (of maybe 8PM-6AM) curfew practically all last winter for a deer cull. in years prior it was a maximum of 1-2months if i remember correctly.

when they schedule these they do post signs at most of the trail heads with details. i haven't seen any this year yet so you should be good all night any night for now.

night riding in the wiss is very popular and i do it all the time in the winter. i ignored the curfew last year and except for getting yelled at once by rangers who were actually with a crew shooting deer i never once had any problems.

i am not suggesting to ignore the curfews if they are reasonable this year but if they pull that same dumb sh!t again this year and try to ban us from night riding all winter i will continue to night ride anyhow. will they really shoot at you with a 1000 lumen beam strapped to your head? doubtful...

it is getting to be that time. i regularly start riding @ 6:30 and rides are getting pretty damn short without lights these days. next week might be my first with lights.

mtbr member
    Glad this thread popped up. I just got a set of lights last week and can't wait to try them out - been wanting to night ride for years but never wanted to spend the dough. I have to admit, I am a little apprehensive about night riding. I often run at night or xc ski in the park after dark whenever there is enough snow (winter before last, I got out every night for a month) - I have had no issue with safety and rarely see a soul back there, but I stick to the Rox side. The bike concerns me a little more, since its worth $3K and I'll be covering more ground at night than usual and hitting the chestnut hill side. So here's my questions:

1. how different is night riding - do you tend to crash more, have to back way off, etc (I have a good set of lights so light quality shouldn't be a factor)

2. Ever have any issues at night - weird / dangerous encounters back there?

3. do you ride solo or in a group (i tend to ride solo 99% of the time - due to work/family schedule - I get a window and ride, not that I don't like riding with people, its just not convenient for scheduling).

4. Is there a group(s) that regularly night ride. If so, what trail head do they start at? what riding level (I'm moderate to fast pace (for an old guy, not racing fast) - depending on my state of riding fitness and/or mood). I wouldn't want to hold up a bunch of hammers.

Any info would really be appreciated.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -HST

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by justriding View Post

1. how different is night riding - do you tend to crash more, have to back way off, etc (I have a good set of lights so light quality shouldn't be a factor)
    A little slower probably, but it's not a huge difference. With decent lights you can see pretty well. But different story if the trails were unfamiliar.

2. Ever have any issues at night - weird / dangerous encounters back there?
    Not really. I pass the occasional harmless oddball in the Wiss, not sure I've ever done so at night. But I'm sure its happened.

3. do you ride solo or in a group (i tend to ride solo 99% of the time - due to work/family schedule - I get a window and ride, not that I don't like riding with people, its just not convenient for scheduling).
    My night riding in the Wiss has always been with a group. Not by necessity, just works out that way. I'd feel safe riding solo at night, personally.

4. Is there a group(s) that regularly night ride. If so, what trail head do they start at? what riding level (I'm moderate to fast pace (for an old guy, not racing fast) - depending on my state of riding fitness and/or mood). I wouldn't want to hold up a bunch of hammers.
    The PMBA Monday ride leaves at 730 from Janette trailhead, so its at least partially a night ride almost the entire year. It can be fairly fast, depending on who shows up, but with lots of breaks to regroup. There's also a popular Wednesday 630 ride from Pachella fieldhouse that requires lights most of the year. The PMBA Thursday 530 ride from the VGI north lot is a nightride during winter. It's pretty fast most weeks. I'm not aware of any late-night group rides, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Glad this thread popped up. I just got a set of lights last week and can't wait to try them out - been wanting to night ride for years but never wanted to spend the dough.
    What did you get? I got a Cygolite Expilion 400 for the helmet and a MityCross 400 for the bars. I got them originally so I could road bike before dawn/after dark but they seem bright enough for the trails. They "only" output 400 lumens (manufacturer spec) each but they seem bright enough.

This was a huge upgrade from some cheapie lights I've been running just for commuting later on in the year.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    once your familiar with night riding (and assuming you are familiar with the trails) you can go almost as fast at night with a good light.

the monday 7:30 janette street ride is a great ride and would be a good intro to night riding if your reasonably fit. it usually splits into a long line of faster and slower riders that all regroup at stops.

i have never come across anything scary riding in the dark in the park. couple people who were shady lookin, high school parties, but nothing that ever seemed remotely dangerous. i used to be able to get myself to ride alone at night but now i prefer a group. i will ride to or from a group ride alone but something about being out there all night in the pitch black by myself just gave me the creeps after a while. too many horror movies as a kid i think. i got an even brighter light on tap for this year so we'll see. that said LOTS of people ride solo at night; and with increasingly cheap/bright lights your bound to see more and more traffic at night.

night riding is really fun. during the winter i'd say at least 75% of my mtb riding is done at night with lights.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    This past Monday we passed a teenage drinking party on the Indian side, and all the kids layed down on the ground to hide when we rode past because they thought we were bike cops with lights. Pretty funny.

mtbr member
    Nice, night rides every Monday night? I might have to check it out. Does it go year-round?
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by joshhan View Post
    Nice, night rides every Monday night? I might have to check it out. Does it go year-round?
    Yes. Details on the PMBA website (phillymtb dot org) under events, click on the Monday ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joshhan View Post
    What did you get?.
    i have an 800 lumen Gemini Xera and a 1000 lumen magicshine. so long as the magicshine doesnt blow up I have some serious output.

mtbr member
    Wow, I'm feeling a little inadequate with my 400 lumen lights. LOL.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    having lots of lumens is nice but definitely not necessary. i used to ride with a cateye doubleshot that maybe put out 400 lumens all the time... it worked great. then i got an older magicshine. when the battery eventually failed i tired the cateye again; OH MY GOD, i almost died many times that ride. but when i just had the cateye it worked great i probably just rode slower.

i think tonight will be my last night ride without light assist.