mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Night Riding in South Central PA?

What locations allow night riding in south central PA? Or stated another way, where can I ride at night and not get a ticket?

I've been to Blue Marsh, and the people I rode with say they've ridden there a bunch at night and never gotten hassled.

I also ride at Middle Run County Park in Newark, DE. This is a little tricky because Middle Run flows into White Clay Creek State Park. Technically, you can't ride either place at night, but they only enforce WC.

Other options?

Now broadcasting from CO
    South Central PA? All those spots are in South Eastern PA as far as I'm concerned. As far as South Central PA, I believe that night riding is legal in Rocky Ridge (in York), as well as Michaux State Forest (Carlisle/Shippensburg/Chambersburg). For the latter, try and hook up with MBM. They do weekly night rides.

SE PA night riding locations also include Marsh Creek and Valley Forge (be careful there, it's technically super illegal. Find someone to take you around.). There is usually a weekly night ride in Middle Run, but it's a hammer ride and has beaten me up on multiple occasions. I've also ridden Brandywine Creek State Park (in Wilmington) at night. At Brandywine, just park in the hotel parking lot and ride from there. Also don't ride alone. I finished a solo ride in the dark and got a ticket, not for riding at night, which is illegal (the ranger told me that he didn't care if people rode at night), but for riding solo at night.

Good luck!
    Brought to you by rocks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    There are "night rides" at Rocky Ridge and Lake Redman but it's only kosher when you are on one of the organized rides with YAMBA or one of the local shops. The bike-parks relationship is semi fragile (can't believe I'd ever use the following words) I'd encourage not bending the rules on this one.

Rattling Creek, if we're actually talking South Central PA.

banned
    Apr 2009
    I know I would not want to ride alone at Rocky Ridge at night (only been there 2-3 times)---and know I would crash there flying with the rocks....

mtbr member
    First time riding at RR I ended up at night... only about half an hour but I was still pleasantly surprised the gate was open after finding which trail got home. At least I had the headlight along.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thought it might be a little far north for you, we do a night group ride on Wednesdays in Bald Eagle State Forest at 5 pm. In late fall, winter, and early spring this ride happens in the dark. Due to the snow fall up here we may move to the Geisinger trails in Danville, as it's a bit much for even fat bikes right now in BESF. message me if you need details.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott