mtbr member
    Nov 2004

night riding at Gretna?

Does anyone know if riding at night is permitted at Gretna? I know you can night ride at pumping station but how bout off of Pinch road?

Thanks for the info.
    Tk

sambabiker.com
    Sorry, night riding is not permitted at Gretna and I would not recommend it. We have struggled with access issues there and I do not what to give them anything else to complain about.
    If you are talking about riding at Camp Mack off of pumping station I am not sure that is legal either.

Brian

my church is the woods

answers

As Brian said, night riding on Gov. Dick property is against their rules, and it could potentially have a negative effect on out access efforts. Also, the local police do patrol at night around there and if they see any vehicles parked anywhere around the place, they will open the gate and sneak up the access road to the tower and wait for you to come by and nab you. Or they'll pop you at the parking areas. The tower is sometimes a spot for juvenile "activities" after dark

I'm not sure about the gamelands side of the road however, the HST is a designated route thru there, as well as fisher hill and some others. I've never had a problem riding there at night, although I would NEVER advocate riding anything illegal on the "private" state game lands. That's uncommonwealth property there ya know

Pumping station - same deal with gamelands....the HST and fireroads are "designated" routes. Camp Mack is off-limits after dark, we asked, they said NO, and we don't want to hurt the nice relationship we've built with the camp ranger.

btw, who are you?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Thanks

Ok thanks guys i wasn't sure if we could ride there at night or not. My name is Todd and I live in Lancaster. I ride rocky ridge and Gretna. Generally, I ride by myself and I'm always looking for people to ride with.

my church is the woods
    Quote Originally Posted by krindog44
    Ok thanks guys i wasn't sure if we could ride there at night or not. My name is Todd and I live in Lancaster. I ride rocky ridge and Gretna. Generally, I ride by myself and I'm always looking for people to ride with.
    I'm down with doing some riding with ya. I usually ride ride gretna saturday mornings, sometimes alone, sometimes with a few people. pumping station sunday mornings always with a big group. drop me a pm with your contact info if you want to connect for a ride, I know a some relatively unknown stuff in gretna I could show you.

mtbr member

Camp Mack

Quote Originally Posted by moonraker
    As Brian said, night riding on Gov. Dick property is against their rules, and it could potentially have a negative effect on out access efforts. Also, the local police do patrol at night around there and if they see any vehicles parked anywhere around the place, they will open the gate and sneak up the access road to the tower and wait for you to come by and nab you. Or they'll pop you at the parking areas. The tower is sometimes a spot for juvenile "activities" after dark

I'm not sure about the gamelands side of the road however, the HST is a designated route thru there, as well as fisher hill and some others. I've never had a problem riding there at night, although I would NEVER advocate riding anything illegal on the "private" state game lands. That's uncommonwealth property there ya know

Pumping station - same deal with gamelands....the HST and fireroads are "designated" routes. Camp Mack is off-limits after dark, we asked, they said NO, and we don't want to hurt the nice relationship we've built with the camp ranger.

btw, who are you?

At the end of year meeting with the ranger and BSA executive, we will discuss the issue of riding at night. I think they may go for it, if people are permit holders and park at the entrance to the camp off of 501. I will let you know how it works out. BTW they started logging again on shooters valley. I can't make it in the morning, but will be out in the PM