Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Newb and Boyce Park

Hey guys, new to the site. I bought a Jamis Durango last July and started riding, mostly Boyce Park, as I live in Monroeville. In February I got a used Enduro Pro.

Anyways, I don't see much on here about Boyce. Any of you guys ride there? I mostly park at the Soccer fields and ride the area behind the fields and around the log cabin. I have heard a thing or two about a natural halfpipe, but have never found it. Anyone care to clue me in as to the location?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    This isn't helping you any, but I live around 6 miles from you, right next to Frick Park. I'm anxious to get over to Boyce to see what its all about when things dry up.

Life is Good
    I've been to Boyce a number of times. I always park down by the baseball fields/tennis courts. There is a pavilion there next to the tennis courts (can't remember it's name) and there is a trailhead right behind it.

There is also a little walking path there that heads off into the woods which has numerous trailheads that all connect to a huge network. I've taken them up to the soccer fields before, but didn't ride around much up there.

Welcome to the site!
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

Life is Good
    Oh, jralz, just saw your bike on another post...

They could be sisters! lol

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

mtbr member
    i ride there 4 or 5 days a week. trails are pretty impressive. let me know if you want to go check them out as i know most of them. it can be very confusing to ride there as many trails intersect. i usually ride a relaxed pace. looking for some fun and exercise, not totally killing myself.some trails were actually rideable yesterday.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bprush
    i ride there 4 or 5 days a week. trails are pretty impressive. let me know if you want to go check them out as i know most of them. it can be very confusing to ride there as many trails intersect. i usually ride a relaxed pace. looking for some fun and exercise, not totally killing myself.some trails were actually rideable yesterday.
    That sounds good to me. I have a Cannondale Rush right now that I love, but doesn't seem to sit real well on my OEM VW rack, so I'm looking to sell that for something with a more standard frame so I can enjoy other areas like Boyce and Hartwood acres.

mtbr member
    let me know when the weather breaks. i live about a minute from there and work 5-2 so im usually around anytime. also have a rush, however no lefty. just didn't like it all that much when i tried one with it. just seemed bizarre.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I rode yesterday, only saw one other person in an hour and a half. There seemed to be a lot of horse damage, at least compared to what I saw last year. Most of the stuff was rideable. I could be interested in a ride someday, but I need to get my fitness level back up so I don't embarrass myself!

mtbr member
    I just had a job interivew via telephone in Pittsburgh and if I get the job I ll be moving to Monroeville and I am bringing my bike with me I grew up in the area but I never Mt. Bike at boyce before, if I move back this summer I ll definitely be down with some riding! I also want to check out Frick park too should I end up back in the area. But, for now I am riding in the Rockies, but, it snowed last night and it will be around 50 here today so no ride for me today probably a little too much mud on the trails
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.

mtbr member
    Boyce is a fun place to ride. It's easy to get lost there though, almost every time I go there I end up doing the same loop about 50 times in a row, they really need to mark the trails better. I usually park at the top of the park near the ski slopes. There is a pavillion next the the slopes, i'll get onto the trails near there, there is a fun long singletrack donwhill right behind the pavillion.

I think I know what halfpipe your talking about. It's not far from the log cabin. It's not much of a halfpipe, just a big dip in the trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by InvictaS1
    Boyce is a fun place to ride. It's easy to get lost there though, almost every time I go there I end up doing the same loop about 50 times in a row, they really need to mark the trails better. I usually park at the top of the park near the ski slopes. There is a pavillion next the the slopes, i'll get onto the trails near there, there is a fun long singletrack donwhill right behind the pavillion.

I think I know what halfpipe your talking about. It's not far from the log cabin. It's not much of a halfpipe, just a big dip in the trail.
    If I get on I 376 at Edgewood/Swissvale, what exit do I get off to go to the park?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by VWMTBScott
    If I get on I 376 at Edgewood/Swissvale, what exit do I get off to go to the park?
    I have in Colorado for awhile so my memory might be rusty, but, I am pretty sure one of the exit signs right before 376 meets the turnpike will be your exit??? I know its not much help but atleast you won't get off at the RT 22 exit by mistake.

mtbr member
    you get off of 376 on the plum exit. continue straight ahead when you get off the ramp. you will go through a traffic light and then go down the hill to a stop sign(guardian self storage on the right side). continue straight ahead through the stop sign and you bear right at the funny triangular intersection. after you bear right, simply go straight about a mile and a half(you'll pass a skishop just along the way) and youll see the main park entrance. make a right. then make an immediate left following the sign to the hiking trails. follow the road until the bottom of the hill. make a left and cross over to soccer fields. there is an archery range on right that contains trailhead. anyone wants to ride, i know almost all of the trails, let me know. there is indeed a natural halfpipe but its closer to the tennis courts than the log cabin

mtbr member
    you get off of 376 on the plum exit. continue straight ahead when you get off the ramp. you will go through a traffic light and then go down the hill to a stop sign(guardian self storage on the right side). continue straight ahead through the stop sign and you bear right at the funny triangular intersection. after you bear right, simply go straight about a mile and a half(you'll pass a skishop just along the way) and youll see the main park entrance. make a right. then make an immediate left following the sign to the hiking trails. follow the road until the bottom of the hill. make a left and cross over to soccer fields. there is an archery range on right that contains trailhead. anyone wants to ride, i know almost all of the trails, let me know. there is indeed a natural halfpipe but its closer to the tennis courts than the log cabin
    I should have know it was the plum exit "Damn it bobby when I was your age, I would have known that!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks..........off topic for a second though, what type of terrain do they offer for skiing? Do you know if they offer season passes and if they make snow?

mtbr member
    they have snowtubing, a beginner slope, and a main downhill slope with about 2 offshoots. there is a jump area with a halfpipe though for most of the year only the main, beginner and snowtubing were open. they do make snow, the machines were all bought new for this year as well as the chairlift being new. they installed a magic carpet lift on the beginner slope too. they offer passes, but its not a great deal. its $9.00 for a lift ticket during the week, $11.00 on weekends, but you can buy it for 9 dollars if purchased during the week. its basically a small downhill run of about 500 vertical feet, but ok to mess around or fantstic to teach someone. rentals are 7 for ski 20 for board. they were open jan to march this year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks..........off topic for a second though, what type of terrain do they offer for skiing? Do you know if they offer season passes and if they make snow?
    I learned to ski there and it is great for that because of the proximity and the price, but I haven't skied there in years and probably never will again. 180 vertical feet, no steeps, little to no natural snow, and the terrain park/halfpipe sucked last time I was there. Go to 7 Springs. Still not great but far better than Boyce.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Rode today. The stuff up high was wet but very ridable. Definitely the best riding so far. The stuff down low was still a mess and I walked pretty much all of it and took the road back to my car to finish it out.

mtbr member
    much much better today. top trails were excellent. mostly dry everywhere except for the big holes. took a bad fall and mangled my hand leg and hip while riding down the paved hill from the soccer fields to the tennis courts. dog came off side trail, i slammed the breaks, next thing i know i lay it down on gravel/asphalt in shorts at high speed. thanks for not having a leash on your dog lady!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    much much better today. top trails were excellent. mostly dry everywhere except for the big holes. took a bad fall and mangled my hand leg and hip while riding down the paved hill from the soccer fields to the tennis courts. dog came off side trail, i slammed the breaks, next thing i know i lay it down on gravel/asphalt in shorts at high speed. thanks for not having a leash on your dog lady!
    Uggghhhh I hope you are okay; reading this really pissed me off. I have this trouble all the time with the dog walkers in Frick Park.

mtbr member

Wtf

Uggghhhh I hope you are okay; reading this really pissed me off. I have this trouble all the time with the dog walkers in Frick Park.
    WTF is going on there??? In colorado so many people have dogs on the trails, but, I never have a problem with them it also helps that here trails are plentiful and some are Bike and Hike only no dogs no horses and some are Hike and dogs only. But there are plenty of multi use trails and I think once in the past year some one on a horse said something to me but... I think I was the one in the wrong and her horse got spooked but she was pretty cool with it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Here is a "dog meet up group" I found for Pittsburgh.......hopefully this link will work for everyone

http://puppy.meetup.com/59/messages/...thread/3848924

mtbr member
    just to fill you guys in in the sake of clarity, i had som nasty road rash and a bruise on my hip, and my palm landed on a rock on the road w all my weight on it so it and my wrist is bruised pretty badly. for what its worth, the lady was very upset, and did have the dog on a leash.she said it saw me coming down the road and pulled the leash from her hand. i tend to belive her because the dog was a lab in the 100lb range, and thats about all she weighed. she offered help and asked if there was anything she could do. i said no. i can say it was only a matter of about a foot and her dog would have had a really bad day. it happens. i walk my 95 lb lab/boxer, and it has pulled away from me and im 190lbs. accidents happen. as long as the dog is leashed, i'll never fault someone. its the unleashed that i worry about, not just for the risk to riders, but to dogs. its not there fault their owners don't realize how dangerous getting hit by a bike can be for a dog.

mtbr member
    just to fill you guys in in the sake of clarity, i had som nasty road rash and a bruise on my hip, and my palm landed on a rock on the road w all my weight on it so it and my wrist is bruised pretty badly. for what its worth, the lady was very upset, and did have the dog on a leash.she said it saw me coming down the road and pulled the leash from her hand. i tend to belive her because the dog was a lab in the 100lb range, and thats about all she weighed. she offered help and asked if there was anything she could do. i said no. i can say it was only a matter of about a foot and her dog would have had a really bad day. it happens. i walk my 95 lb lab/boxer, and it has pulled away from me and im 190lbs. accidents happen. as long as the dog is leashed, i'll never fault someone. its the unleashed that i worry about, not just for the risk to riders, but to dogs. its not there fault their owners don't realize how dangerous getting hit by a bike can be for a dog.
    Makes me feel better warm and fuzzy I tell you anyway I am a little crazy! its my moms fault but back to being semi-serious, its great that the woman with the dog did offer to help you and you aknowledge the face that ""Crap Happens", I really do not have an issue with dogs being off leash as long as they are well behaved. Here in Boulder you can register your dog for a sight and sound tag which means you dog is good enough to go to the park with out a leash as long as it is still undercontrol (term used loosely). It is nice to hike and let your dog off leash to go play in the creek/river/resevoir but some peoples kids and their dogs don't always seem to play well with others and yet they insist on coming out with their dogs unleashed. I was dog sitting a VERY LARGE PIT BULL and some one with a Pomeranian off leash came along and acted like I was the bad guy because of the breed and not giving credit to the fact that I had a big dog on a leash and his little dog was off leash and instigating the Pit Bull. Fortunately the pomeranian was not eatin that day

mtbr member
    i'll be at boyce soccer lot today at 2:00 to hit the trails for the last time before the rains. bandage up the hand and ride anyways. its gonna hurt but i want to get out while i can. gotta get used to this clipless thing before its time to do some serious riding

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast