Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

new to the West Chester area

hey guys. i posted in here a few weeks back about trails in the west chester area. I live off rt 3 in the east goshen/edgeemont section, a few miles away from ridley creek. My gf and I were just there a week ago and its a shame they dont allow riders on the non-paved trails. but a nice park otherwise!

i know there are a few of you in the area and wanted to know where the good spots are. not into the really rocky/rooty stuff just to give you an idea. more of the rolly smooth types of trails.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you might be interested in Marsh Creek, or White Clay which is just a short ride into DE. There are plenty of others, but not sure of your exact desires (hills, mileage, etc.).

mtbr member
    Brandywine Creek and Valley Forge are pretty close to you also (just stick close to the river and train tracks in Valley Forge - in the main park area the rangers don't appreciate if you end up on a hiking trail). Fair Hill (MD) is just a little bit past White Clay. Wissahickon and French Creek are good if you want something a bit rockier, though Brandywine has its moments.

I've heard mixed reports lately as to whether biking is allowed but WCU south campus and Oakbourne Park both have 3-4 miles of trails that were good enough for weeknight riding when I was living in the area.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    anyone want to meet up one these days?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    There is also harmony hill. Marsh creek is probably the least rocky/rooty although I've heard fair hill and white clay are very smooth riding, haven't been to either yet though so I'm not sure.

Wissahickon is awesome and French creek is great too but they are both pretty rocky, especially French creek.

mtbr member
    Markus, I wouldn't mind meeting up for a ride if our schedules mesh. I'm generally available M/T/W mornings until about 1 or 2pm, all day R/F/S, nothing on Sundays. PM me if anything sticks out.

I saw your post from Jan? asking about upcoming races. You may already be aware, but there is a race this upcoming Saturday at Marsh Creek. It'll be my first one.

mtbr member
    pretty cool. im in no shape to do any sort of racing. i have finally gotten my bike down here sunday and havent been on it in over a month.

im down for a ride sunday if interested.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I think Valley Forge would be your best bet for that kind of ride and posibly the closest. It's about half an hour ride each way and you come back same way. I've been to Marsh and I remember it had some steep hills and drops(only been there once) Harmony Hill was pretty had some steep hills and drops too(Only been there once too)

It could have been that I've only been those places once or just took wrong way but VF doesn't have that. Mostly dirt and some gravel. Some section have some roots and small rocks but it's small and only few.

I haven't been to Nox but if you are willing to drive about an hour, that's another option. I've heard it's nice flowy ride.
    2012 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

new to the west chester area

If you don't minf the ride definitely check out Nockamixon. I drive an hour and a half from Hazleton twice a month to ride there. Well laid out singletrack with just enough twists and some small climbs. Nothing too rocky. But well worth riding.

As said previously Marsh Creek is pretty smooth and flowing singletrack with some good ups and downs. Another good place to ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TheAntiSpoke View Post
    You may already be aware, but there is a race this upcoming Saturday at Marsh Creek. It'll be my first one.
    Have they cleared any of the overgrown areas of the trail in the last couple of weeks? I was out there about 2 weeks ago and there are several areas where the pricker bushes reached all the way across the trails, I assume they get it cleaned up a bit for the race.

mtbr member
    I usually ride on Sunday mornings - I stick to Valley Forge, Green Lane and Wiss for the most part in the winter, but branch out farther in the summertime. If you want to DM me with the best way to get ahold of you I can reach out next time I'm headed your way (probably not until around 8/19 - planning more of a road/gravel ride for this weekend and then the next weekend I'm heading to Raystown for a week).
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    also anyone have a good bike shop they can recommend me?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flowy View Post
    Have they cleared any of the overgrown areas of the trail in the last couple of weeks? I was out there about 2 weeks ago and there are several areas where the pricker bushes reached all the way across the trails, I assume they get it cleaned up a bit for the race.
    They did maintenance this past weekend, so I'm guessing it should be cleared, or at least the trails being used for the race anyway.

mtbr member
    Nochamixon is an easy flowy ride, but if it gets wet it takes a month of Sundays to dry.

BeansBikes.com is a good shop right in WC. They know what they're doing and their prices are fair.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I just rode marsh creek for the first time tonight. I was impressed. I usually ride French Creek around here and you definitely need some flow to efficiently get through parts of the trail and there are a few points of tech where you have to clear logs or choose a path through a creek or a few rocks (not rock gardens like french creek). If you are OK with the occasional drop/hop/logover, marsh creek seems like its a lot of fun. I was able to do most sections i came across (which is honestly not that many, read my reply on the marsh creek conditions thread) on my single speed/fully rigid 26er, but thats not to say its particularly tame. I am down for an early- ish ride on sunday, but I think there is a trail run/race at Marsh Creek a few hours after the bike race as in sunday morning till probably about 11:00 am.

I know a few sections of French Creek. If you are interested in going there sunday, I would probably be interested.

Your av leads me to beleive you are a dubber. While I am not one myself, I have a bunch of friends who are.

mtbr member
    girlfriend wants to go to valley forge tomorow so thats a no go but im good next weekend

mtbr member
    Hey Markus. Harmony Hill and Marsh Creek are both great places to ride. I'm somewhat a beginner and I find myself still walking my bike up some of the steeper hills but I find both areas to be lots of fun. I'm always looking for someone to ride with on the weekends. As far as bike shops go, I agree, Beans Bikes is a great place. The folks working there are friendly and very helpful and the prices are fair.

mtbr member
    where harmony hill be at? i was at ridley creek today and it wasnt a bad ride but its a shame they dont allow you on the non-pvaed trails. the loop around has some good climbs thats for sure. i was soaked after a 5 mile ride.

also if you ever want to ride hit me up. im always looking for people to ride with. cheers!

mtbr member
    Harmony Hill is in Downingtown. Off of 322 going towards West Chester. I can't post a URL since I don't have 10 posts yet. Just google Harmon Hill Nature Area. I usually park off of Skelp Level Road.

mtbr member
    I ride my 1st race last night at Marsh Creek. It was an easy course and a great time despite my light crapping out on me.

You guys want to get a small group ride in somewhere this Saturday morning?

mtbr member
    I went up last night to check out the race. I left shortly after the first group took off. I'd love to ride with a group but I'm still somewhat of a beginner. 10:00AM this Saturday?

mtbr member
    Anti...were you riding Cat 3?? I think you might have been behind me for a bit...yelling back and forth.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Yep, Cat 3 (30-39). I had 2 buddies in the group, so it may have been us. I was on the rigid 29'er and was pretty pissed when I went from 1800 to 100 lumens :|

Hyperbam, 10am should be good for me; I'll double check & confirm. I just started riding last year, and the way I look at group rides is that you're either gonna be with riders around the same level as you, or you'll be with riders who will help you improve (likely both). When I ride I like push myself in some areas, play around in others, and I have no problems with taking as many breaks as needed

mtbr member
    Sounds great AntiSpoke. I did 11 miles at Marsh Creek today. It was great. I typically start from Chalfont road and will there at 10:00 on Saturday regardless.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    If you all get a regular group ride going at MC on saturday mornings I'd be interested. Can't do this week though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast