mtbr member

new trails!!! (central pa)

Hello Central Pennsylvanians!
    I found some SGL that have some trails (mix of fireroads, pipelines, and singletrack). I am still exploring the trails so I will give ya'll an update later on. It seems to be a good trail for locals, I don't know how much it would be worth driving any significant distance for though. It is located about 15 minutes in from the Susquehanna on rt. 443 on the left. Let me know if anyone has any other information about these trails.

mtbr member

I think this is it

Swatara sounds like what you found

http://www.sambabiker.com/trail.htm

mtbr member
    Nope, this is back fishing creek on rt 443 bud. I would say almost halfway to the Gap. Plus, this is definately not a park, it is all SGL. The park you found is actually located on the other side of the gap.
    Last edited by SCHPEEDYFSR; 08-29-2007 at 06:52 PM.

mtbr member
    I will see if I can find the location of the parking lot.

mtbr member
    Here is the link to the map from DCNR:
    http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/game/...=17&submit.y=6

If you find 443 and scroll east you will see ritzey village and just to the east of that is the parking lot where I found these trails. Apparently I can jump onto the horseshoe trail and go all the way into dauphin over the mtn and such.

mtbr member
    Ok, so they aren't new trails really, but I haven't seen them listed anywhere...

my church is the woods
    I've always wanted to check out what the Horseshoe Trail is like thru there. Looks like it could be very cool, as it leads up to the 2nd mountain and then down to Stoney Creek and then doing the Devils Race Course. I'm always scared of the timber rattlers on the devils racecourse though, after my last time up there coming close to a very large on.

mtbr member
    thanks for the info, as always it is good to know about snakes in the area :-P I am going to see what is at the top and maybe go over to the other side a little bit depending on time constraints.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Reason you haven't seen them mentioned much is that it's all State Gamelands, which are officially closed to mtn biking. Used to be lot of good riding along the Stoney Creek Valley and up on the ridgline of 2nd Mtn. Lots of uncleared blowdown from various storms over the last few years, lack of use and the fact that you really shouldn't be riding there have seen the trails kinda close up.

Poach it if you want, but if you get caught, you're not doing any favors for the community.

mtbr member
    Actually, where I am riding SGL 211, the SGL website lists it as a designated route.
    http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...a=463&q=151252
    Just scroll down till you see several captions on 211.

mtbr member
    *it should be noted that you cannot ride during regular deer season or turkey. I think its the last week of September through Janurary and then turkey season (which I am not as familiar with).

my church is the woods
    Quote Originally Posted by tomimcmillar
    Reason you haven't seen them mentioned much is that it's all State Gamelands, which are officially closed to mtn biking.

Schpeedy is correct; not all SGL trails are closed, and there are some "designated" trails open. The Horseshoe Trail happens to be the best one in this region of the state. Looking at that sgl link there looks to be several other "designated" trails on 211.