Thread: New trail dog

mtbr member

New trail dog

Today I introduced a new friend to some classic mountain top trails,
    considering he has never been on these he did quite well.
    Although he does run on all 4...another beautiful morinig in NEPA
    Jkad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New trail dog-dscn2172.jpg  

New trail dog-dscn2173.jpg  

New trail dog-dscn2174.jpg  

"foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

eci
    awesome!!! trail dogs are rad

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My wife was knocked off her bike by two dogs wrestling off leash on singletrack. Had a real nice bruise to show for it and luckily no injuries from landing hard on her hip. Not the dogs fault, they are just being dogs. As for the Owners, not so innocent. I am glad you and your buddy could spend a great day together, but there are plenty of places to have great days than off leash where they can get dangerously in the way of other user groups. Hope he never gets to meet my front wheel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by OneArm View Post
    My wife was knocked off her bike by two dogs wrestling off leash on singletrack.
    so your wife ran into two dogs wrestling on singletrack and your blaming the dogs?

obviously dogs need proper training (just like humans) but a well trained dog can do just fine off leash on singletrack without threatening other trail users. if you can't bike with your dog off leash on trails you pretty much can't ride a mountainbike with your dog. off leash dogs just need to be trained before you go blazing around on a crowded trail with them.

this coming from someone who doesn't even own a dog.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

... and if we just ...

Hey that's a nice doggie!...

... I bet he loves the freedom. We have lots of dogs ride with us and I have always wondered what they think. It must be a zen thing for them. Like hanging out a car window getting all the breeze!

I hope you check and safeguard him for ticks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    Hey that's a nice doggie!...

... I bet he loves the freedom. We have lots of dogs ride with us and I have always wondered what they think. It must be a zen thing for them. Like hanging out a car window getting all the breeze!

I hope you check and safeguard him for ticks!
    Yeah, he loved it...ran for miles and when we took a break was not even panting, as seen in the pic. As far as tics go, we got a shot from the vet for lyme.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill View Post
    so your wife ran into two dogs wrestling on singletrack and your blaming the dogs?
    um no... he clearly said "Not the dogs fault, they are just being dogs. As for the Owners, not so innocent."

mtbr member
    Awesome dog!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by honkonbobo View Post
    um no... he clearly said "Not the dogs fault, they are just being dogs. As for the Owners, not so innocent."
    yeah i am not blaming the owners either (though i am sure the dogs should have been trained to get the hell outta the way) i am kinda blaming the wife for running into the dogs...

how would running into dogs be any different from running into anything else?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneArm View Post
    My wife was knocked off her bike by two dogs wrestling off leash on singletrack. Had a real nice bruise to show for it and luckily no injuries from landing hard on her hip. Not the dogs fault, they are just being dogs. As for the Owners, not so innocent. I am glad you and your buddy could spend a great day together, but there are plenty of places to have great days than off leash where they can get dangerously in the way of other user groups. Hope he never gets to meet my front wheel.
    In my personal opinion the more dogs that join our rides the better. Off leash of course. And sure you get the occasional new dog who may get in the way once in while but once the dog learns the ropes from the veteran dogs in the group he/she usually falls right into line. I treat our trail dogs with the same respect I would treat another rider. I also hope your front wheel doesn't contact my dog Dozer. Because as your getting up from going over the bars my fist is going to contact your face.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    We were actually passing the dogs on their left and as they wrestled, the one dog turned quickly to elude the other and turned directly into the back edge of my wife's front wheel. The impact immediately spun the front wheel and dumped her hard. Could have been bad, but everything thing turned out OK.

Just sayin', if I come around a turn and blast a dog by accident, it's not the dogs fault. The owner needs to be in control at all times. They are your responsibility and your dog has the potential to cause harm to other user groups the same as my bike has the potential to harm hikers, runners, etc.

As I said above, It's great that you can enjoy time with animals you love, just be careful with them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flying pumpkin 185 View Post
    I also hope your front wheel doesn't contact my dog Dozer. Because as your getting up from going over the bars my fist is going to contact your face.
    Ya know that was my initial thought as I read the above cmts, but did not want to come out and say it Yes, the dogs owner should be in control but so should the rider.

Rolling on 650b
    Gotta love trail dogs! Especially ones that listen. Had a run in with a porcupine on 8 last night, and was able to give Flurry a stern 'NO' and keep her from getting a nose full of quills.
    Good luck with your new best buddy!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by flying pumpkin 185 View Post
    I also hope your front wheel doesn't contact my dog Dozer.
    If "anyone's" front wheel contacts Dozer that in itself will end their day!

He's one big solid doggie!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    If "anyone's" front wheel contacts Dozer that in itself will end their day!

He's one big solid doggie!
    Amen!! He is one huge boy!! I think I'd damage my bike before him.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    That last photo is awesome!!!

eci
    Trail dogs are super rad! Her name is Emma and shes an 8 year old German shorthair
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New trail dog-emma.jpg  

Last edited by snowskilz; 09-27-2012 at 08:33 AM.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    OK so I gotta ask...
    ...what are your dogs names?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    mine is Kharma....

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Trail dogs are definitely awesome. To reduce conflict with other users, I always make sure my dog is behind me (or whoever is leading the ride). This eliminates the possibility of her approaching little kids, little yippy dogs, dog unfriendly people, whatever. I try to keep her just to the right of my rear tire at slow speeds. This allows me to "box her out" from other users as we pass each other, or I can leash her as necessary until its all clear. It works well most of the time.

Ticks are definitely an issue in PA. Check around the collar. And don't forget extra water for your new friend.

Your dog will appreciate going on rides. Post ride doggies are always so well behaved!