Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

New spot in Eastern Lancaster

Money Rocks County Park is a 300 acre of the Lancaster County parks system, and borders on a 1000 acre Lancaster County Conservancy property. All of it is open to mountain bikers, but the non-permitted use of ATV's has kept the usage somewhat limited.

Both the county and Conservancy are really trying to keep ATV's off the land, and really pushing for bicycle and equestrian use. It seems as though both parties are more than willing to accommodate trail building. This means there is potential for more technical trails to be build specifically for MTBs.

Has anyone ridden there? I'd like to try and get out at some point to see what the potential is. It could be a bit too close to Marsh and French Creek, and that draws some of the attention from the area.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    FWIW- the Lehigh Valley area has more than five legit trailsystems within a 30 minute radius. All get solid use, so I think adding another spot in the Lancaster area can only be a good thing! The toughest part is organizing folks who are willing to put in the hours for building and maintenance. I wouldn't worry about its proximity to FC and MC.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    How's the terrain and conditions,are trail maps available for the park and conservancy trails?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Found this map:
    http://www.co.lancaster.pa.us/parks/...oneyRock12.pdf

P Body-- you ridden there yet?

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    I have not ridden there yet. Though I was thinking of checking it out today and taking some pictures.

21 minutes from Ephrata (ride-able)
    38 minutes from Lancaster
    29 minutes from Coatesville/Downingtown

Parking across from 934 Narvon Rd,17555
    Last edited by PaintPeelinPbody; 01-14-2010 at 08:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

... and if we just ... Sweet

This is great to hear. I drive by that area on a regular basis. It's about 10 miles from my in-laws and will be a nice pace from making the trek to Mt. Gretna! Anyone have a trail report? Any idea of mileage of trails?

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrostle
    Anyone have a trail report? Any idea of mileage of trails?
    Governor Dick Park is about 1500 acres, but connected to outside trail systems.
    Camp Mack is around 1000 acres (est?), connects to outside trails, but requires permit
    Swatara State Park is over 3000 acres, but quite a hiker from Lancaster.
    Rocky Ridge is 750 acres

So if the parcel of land that the Lancaster County Conservancy owns is actually 1000 acres, that gives you an idea of the area compared to established trail systems.

As far as established trails though, I'm not sure. I know they are unmarked, currently used by ATV's, mostly logging trails, and entrances from roads have been cabled off.

I hope to get up there today or this weekend to investigate.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I will definitely check this out as I live just North of Ephrata, thanks for letting us know!
    I normally ride Anteitam, Gretna, FC, BM, but it is always nice to go somewhere new and I will plan on hitting this up very soon. Would be nice if someone that rides the area regularly would be willing to organize a group ride, Me and a whole bunch of fellow riders would check it out for sure.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    You can park on Gault Rd and ride north into the county park boundaries, or ride from the parking lot across from 934 Narvon Rd. 17555, through Money Rock County Park, south until you hit Gault Rd.

I'm told because of the ATV uses in those areas, there are still defined trails that are clear. That's yet to be determined by my eyes, but I'm going up tomorrow.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    nvm
    Last edited by PaintPeelinPbody; 01-31-2010 at 03:29 PM.