mtbr member
    Apr 2006

New to the sport in South Park PA

I am just getting into the sport, i haven't even bought my bike yet. I have searched some of the old post here and it seemed there was some talk about the South Park trails but that was awhile ago. I was wondering if any of the South Park people are still here and if they have any recomendation on a LBS. I have looked at Joe's Bike Shop and liked it alot but i know there are at least 2 others. thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    TRM - Mt Lebanon and Robinson Town Center
    Pittsburgh Pro - Squirrel Hill
    Biketek - Squirrel Hill
    Gatto - Penn Avenue
    Dirty Harry's - Verona

Have a look at these, they are worth the trip if anything just to speak with the people that work there. They all have different bikes as well.

South Park is fun to ride. Not too difficult, no real steep, long climbs. Not a bad place to live.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I second what the poster above said, I'd also check out West Liberty Cycles and there's another place on 885 that sells bikes can't remember the name. Finally if you check out www.pittsburghmountainbiking.com they have trail maps for South Park.
    Steve

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    well i checked out TRM today, they have moved to 88 in castle shannon. they had me looking at the wahoo disc and the pirahna not bad bike. aslo Steve have you herd of big bang bikes on lebanon church rd. this buying a bike thing is harder then first thought but i think it will pay off in the end. thanks for the help guys.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yeah, Big Bang is the one I was referring too, I'm pretty sure its on 885 which is off Lebanon Church, I work right by there. I know they sell Trek, but I haven't had a chance to check them out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    you are correct steve it is on 885. i called there today and they seem really knowledgable so i will be stopping out tomorrow. i also found out they give a 10% discount to bike pittsburgh members.

mtbr member
    Completely forgot to mention Big Bang, and it's only a few minutes from my house. Sorry. Big Bang carries Trek, Fisher, Intense, and their site says Turner and Scott as well. I have used them a few times for some parts and a bit of service on my last bike. Their shop is pretty nice. If you have time, I would check out all of the places that are around to give you a good feel for what is available in the area. Good Luck!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i was off today so i went shopping.i went to pittsburgh pro and biketek in squirrel hill and gatto on penn ave. the last stop was big bang on 885 by far the best experiance i have had to date after going to 5 different shops. They were the only shop to size me to a bike by messuring me. after all of this i ordered my bike to an 06 GF pirahna i got a great deal bike, upgraded springs for the fork and a helmet for $607+tax. Matt was extremely helpful.

Dr. Bike
    Mar 2006
    congrats on the new bike! If you're interested in riding with a group check out www.porcmtbclub.org We sometimes ride south park.
    If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot !