Thread: new riding

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

new riding

Two Mile Run County Park has some new trails open. Eleven miles of intermediate, all single,3 small loops and one big loop around the whole 2700 acre park.

Hermit
    I was out there a couple of weeks ago. This is a county park just a bit north of Franklin, PA. The big loop around the perimeter is the bridle trail, but mtb are allowed unless they're having an equestrian event. The rest of the trails do have some nice sections for sure - but I had a terrible time trying to figure out where I was or even follow the yellow blazes that denote the mtb trail. This place is definitely okay to ride, but they sure could use some signs!

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Two Mile Run

The bridle trail is always open even during an event, although one may choose not to use those trails if one knows of an event.As of now there is only 3 horse ride events set for next year. There are no less than 30+ miles of unmarked trails that are an option, as a rider finds his or her way around that park. There are often horses on the bridle trail, riders just need to use trail rules that apply to horse bike meetings.
    As to the markings, there are only 4 or 5 volinteers in that whole park, that is on bridle and on biking. Things move very slowly with that small of a crew. They seem to be testing the water as to the use that a nice park will get and how smoothly things go with multi-use trails. Seems they don't wish to over mark to spoil the riding views and keep some open mindedness in the individuals ride. That whole park is built on a watershed and if one moves to far from it it is easy to tell as the bridle perimeters the park.This makes it very hard to get lost for more than an hour or so.

Hermit
    After riding there the first time I sent an email to the park management - that statement about no riding on the bridal trails during events came from them.

They also said that the ski trails are closed to mtb. Without signage, and using about a half dozen different color blazes, it's difficult to know what trail you're allowed on - were the blue blazes the ski trail? And the red/black ones the bridal trail?

I knew that downhill would obviously take me back to the lake or the creek, but I was trying to ride the loop on the map. And in that particular instance I didn't have time to be lost for an extra hour.

I'm not criticizing the trail builders. I'm struggling to keep a trail system that is near me from deteriorating and have very little help, so I know how it's hard to accomplish things when you only have a few people working. The fact remains that a new rider coming would have (DID have) a hard time following the singletrack. Now if ALL those trails were open to bikes (the blue blazed ones etc) it looks like there would be hours and hours of stuff to explore - but still some signage at the intersections or a trail blaze key would be very helpful.

Either way, I'll be back out there. It's a beautiful spot to ride.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    We know it is a little difficult as of yet. The yellow trail that is marked with yellow circles is the easiest to start to learn the the system on. After a couple times in both directions all others will make more sense.If one stays on all yellow he or she is never more than a mile or so from the parking lot. That circle marked trail is just 4 mi. total and both directions is about an hour at an intermediate level and speed. The others are still intermediate but just tighter and shorter and find their way back to the circle trail. Some of the unmarked trails there are best ridin' out and and back till learned but certainly worth learning as they all take the skills need up a level.
    As for the park telling you that the trails are closed on bridle events . They are just misinformed . They just had a 2 day race to raise money for trail improvement and the horsers were on the trails both days. They posted signs to inform both of usage, seemed there were no conflicts as both are working to improve the trail system. The horse riders , bike race and trail run brought in over$ 2000 for trail improvement. Even got some money from the observatory that is located on the property.
    They want the bridle or perimeter trail to be mile marked and follow the boundry of the whole park , about 25 mi. The local fire department needs referances to help whatever comes up. That is the trail and markings that are being worked on as we speak.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I should correct my statement as the park was misinformed It was whomever was in the office at that time .
    The yellow and unmarked and red are always open to bikes and hikes.