newb
    Jun 2013

New to PA (Philly) and to MTB

Hey guys, I just picked up mountain biking since I moved to PA, this March. I've hit the trails all over Forbidden Drive, but have a feeling there are still a ton I haven't found yet.

If any of you ever want to ride, post it up, and I'll try to make it out. I usually go Sunday mornings, but could change it up.

After a couple runs, I put together this little edit. Enjoy.

Shaking It Loose On The Wissahickon from Nick Pitcavage on Vimeo.

meh?
    Hey, I like the edit. I moved out to PA (Springfield) from NJ about two months ago. I've been riding Wiss a couple times a week. The increased amount of elevation gain per ride has been my biggest obstacle in all this, but it also makes it a lot more fun. Maybe at some point we could meet up for a ride. You and your friends in the video look like you're about my speed/skill level.
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon
    2001 Specalized Rockhopper FSR

newb
    Jun 2013
    Hey Map204!
    It would be great to meet up. We ride every other Sunday at about 8:30 - 9. This is our week off, so next Sunday we'll be out. Let me know if you want to ride with us.

We are mostly n00bs, but we have a ton of fun riding, finding new trails and perfecting trails we've ridden a few times.

The uphills can be tough. There have been a few times I got a little dazed from pushing too hard uphill... lots of water, bring lots of water..

Hope to see you out there man!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm a noob always up for a ride. Check out GPS Bike Maps - they have maps for several area trails. Some are google tracks (kps) files that can be opened in Goofle Earth - I actually found an online converter to make them GPX files and imported them to the ViewRanger app on my phone.

newb
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the link. I've been using the Strava app since it will record my time and elevation gain as well.

Let me know if you guys will be out on the Wiss this Sunday!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Nice video. I am just getting back into mtn biking. Let me know next time you ride. I live in manayunk so its close by.

meh?

New to PA (Philly) and to MTB

Unfortunately I couldn't get out for the group ride this past Sunday. Next time definitely!
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon
    2001 Specalized Rockhopper FSR

newb
    Jun 2013
    We are heading out tomorrow. We usually ride from 9-11, starting at the Northwestern Ave entrance.

Last time out we hit this amazing trail down near Lincoln Drive. I'm hoping we can find that one again...

Strava is telling me it's somewhere around here:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=40.02...m&z=16&iwloc=A

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Let me know when you plan on riding next. I was out on the trails from 3-7 today and really got a good workout. 15 mi of hills and trails is nothing like 15mi on kelly drive.

mtbr member
    Hey guys, I meet every week with the guys from Philly Bikesmith (on 19th near Spring Garden) on Sundays at 8:30. We generally ride for 3-4 hours with a group of 4 or more, all levels, including some women. I've been doing off-road for about a year now and love it; these guys are really good at helping newbies gain skills. Often there are some who head back early as well.
    BTW I won't be there personally this weekend, heading to an enduro race at Mountain Creek/NJ, but the ride will go on unless it rains.

newb
    Jun 2013
    orlin03, thanks for the tip. This sounds like a great group for my group to ride with. We could use some tips after the wipeouts this last Sunday...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Riding with a friend wednesday. Hopefully meeting at wissahickon entrance near main street and lincoln drive across from the bus depot. We are not very skilled, but not completely out of shape either.

If anyones interested post up. We will be meeting there 4:45 leaving at 5:00 sharp.