giddy up

New to PA - Need trail advice

I have been working in Lancaster now for the last month or so and will be here during the week and on some weekends. I am going to ship my bike out here from Colorado so I can get some riding in while I'm here.

Any advice on where to ride (anywhere in PA) would be much appreciated. I prefer technical and advanced terrain with big climbs and big descents. I also like to just get out and ride in the woods/forest. Any weather or conditions are good with me assuming the trail is rideable.

I was looking online and found Jim Thorpe/Tamaqua area and there were some good reviews of the "American Standard" trail???

Cheers.

Ron
    Rub n Tiz'zug

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Will u be in living in lancaster? If so there is a bunch of trails within an hours ride. U have rocky ridge over in york. Swatara up by pine grove. French creek over by morgantown. Vamp mack, michaux. Mt penn by reading. All offer some great riding.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

giddy up
    Yes, I'm living at an extended stay hotel during the week here in Lancaster. One thing I forgot to mention is I have good lights for night riding. Not sure if there are any group rides during the week but man would I like to get out at night and ride.

I'm trying to decide if I should ship my Yeti 575 or just Singlespeed it? My SS is a fully rigid 29er and I'm thinking it might be perfect for out here.
    Rub n Tiz'zug

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    The yeti would b better for places like rocky ridge and mt penn and french creek. The ss could b ridden at swatara and blue marsh. Although blue marsh still has a buch of trees down. Im not too sure about nite rides in these areas. Check out samba.com and bamba.com for trails and questions. Hope this helps.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    As others have said there's lots of riding within an hour or two of Lancaster. Not many long descents to be found though. Nobody has suggested the Wiss in Philly yet so I'll throw that out there. Rocky Ridge in York is rocky, and we just put in a new "downhill" trail. Head west past Gettysburg on Rt 30 and hit Michaux for some really rocky tech but have a guide to lead you to the really good stuff. People ride rigid SS on all the trails around here, and others ride 6x6 bikes on all the trails, it's a toss up b/c one will work better in some places and vice versa.

YAMBA has weekly night rides at William H. Kain County Park aka The Lakes in York. They are subject to trail closures though and you do have to be a paid member due to insurance. I haven't really heard of much more legal night riding in the area, maybe others can chime in about that.

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    Quote Originally Posted by papawheelie View Post
    I'm trying to decide if I should ship my Yeti 575 or just Singlespeed it? My SS is a fully rigid 29er and I'm thinking it might be perfect for out here.
    the ground here is pretty rocky and rooty. I wouldn't recommend a rigid as your primary bike, unless you like the abuse.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    ron, how long are you going to be working out of Lancaster?

reason I ask is that when conditions permit, there are a goodly number of places to hit with more significant climbing and descending ... but while the trails have a good blush of winter on them I'd hesitate to make the longer drive for them.

I'm thinking in particular of Michaux (past Gettysburg), Bald Eagle and Rothrock forests, Roaring Creek in Weiser SF, Rattling Creek near Lykens, along with some other spots.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Lancaster not far from the border, you could check out "M.O.R.E: Home Page | MORE-MTB

...when I last checked the revolutionary war was over, going down into Maryland is a good thing, lots of great trails too...LOL

I have ridden everything mentioned with my 29er Rigid SSer and 26er Rigid SSer...

my church is the woods
    @papawheelie, I'd recommend the Yeti 575 most of the time, but this time of year, the trail conditions may favor the SS. You certainly can ride either, but the 575 is generally the better tool IMO.

oh, and I sent you a PM for the ride info.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Mt Penn is as you prefer,tech,advanced terrain,big climbs,with some decent length DH but won't be disapointed! be nice this is not Colorado ;-)

The White Jeff W
    The Yeti 575 is an excellent choice for the area. This pic was from the ATV trails at Michaux. The quads pack the snow down and it pretty rideable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New to PA - Need trail advice-231080_1105146428413_4804_n-1-.jpg  

No moss...

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    What kinda work are you doing that has you living out of a hotel? Reason I ask is I'm unemployed and wouldn't mind a job that gets me out of the area on a regular basis.

Depending on how much free time you have you might want to check out Lancaster Central Park south of the city. The trails are not well marked, but they range from flat horse trails to some pretty technical sections. Not perfect, but a nice quick and dirty ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by diggingtrail View Post
    As others have said there's lots of riding within an hour or two of Lancaster. Not many long descents to be found though. Nobody has suggested the Wiss in Philly yet so I'll throw that out there. Rocky Ridge in York is rocky, and we just put in a new "downhill" trail. Head west past Gettysburg on Rt 30 and hit Michaux for some really rocky tech but have a guide to lead you to the really good stuff. People ride rigid SS on all the trails around here, and others ride 6x6 bikes on all the trails, it's a toss up b/c one will work better in some places and vice versa.

YAMBA has weekly night rides at William H. Kain County Park aka The Lakes in York. They are subject to trail closures though and you do have to be a paid member due to insurance. I haven't really heard of much more legal night riding in the area, maybe others can chime in about that.

wiss is good, but is hit or miss with the weather this time of year. best in the early morning (prior to say, 9am or so, depending on temperature)

mtbr member
    I'll second the Central Park reccomendation. The trails are mostly just warmups compared to the real significant trails like Michaux or French creek(both are well regarded XC/Enduro race events in the summer), but it is easy enough to ride as a filler when you have time to kill. Keep in mind most of the PA parks are off limits in the dark and are patrolled by rangers. The only Lancaster city park that is open after dark is the Longs Park by Park city mall. About 10 miles north of the city is a trail head called "Pumping Station" which is decently interesting.

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...0_4573crx.aspx

Feel free to pm me if you want to get together and ride sometime.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

Old N Slow
    With the nice weather for this weekend, what trails will be open?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Mt penn/Antietam is open,trails are moist some snow patches with few mud areas,great drainage here!

banned
    Apr 2009
    Yeah I love Central Park (read my review here on MTBR...)

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...3_4573crx.aspx

--ALSO I did not know about 'Pumping Station'---seems Interesting. How long is it??

I am going to have to try this place (because it does not look like you need a pass like Camp Mac Area)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by supersedona View Post
    About 10 miles north of the city is a trail head called "Pumping Station" which is decently interesting.

--ALSO I did not know about 'Pumping Station'---seems Interesting. How long is it??

I am going to have to try this place (because it does not look like you need a pass like Camp Mac Area)
    That review is for Camp Mack.

Pumping Station is a road. Pumping Station is generally used to refer to all the trails in that area. SGL and Camp Mack (Boy Scout Camp that required a pass)

banned
    Apr 2009
    Thanks Lititz----I did not know that.

--Do you know when Camp Mac is having their free trail day this year (if they are or not?)--

they had some sort of event 2 years ago (but I missed it) and people I talk to locally (who don't really ride there) are about as confused as me (with it not being open/certain parts accessable at certain times with Boy Scouts, etc...)

--I mainly ride THE WISS as much as possible (being from Philly) and am trying to hit Rocky Ridge a lot this year now... it is just easier to get to Rocky Ridge (and learn trails) easier than Camp Mac. Also Camp Mac is a 'paid pass'----I have a free pass for THE WISS and Fair Hill/Rocky Ridge is free.. I just did not want to pay for a season pass and only go once or twice a year!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 247 View Post
    Thanks Lititz----I did not know that.

--Do you know when Camp Mac is having their free trail day this year (if they are or not?)--

they had some sort of event 2 years ago (but I missed it) and people I talk to locally (who don't really ride there) are about as confused as me (with it not being open/certain parts accessable at certain times with Boy Scouts, etc...)

--I mainly ride THE WISS as much as possible (being from Philly) and am trying to hit Rocky Ridge a lot this year now... it is just easier to get to Rocky Ridge (and learn trails) easier than Camp Mac. Also Camp Mac is a 'paid pass'----I have a free pass for THE WISS and Fair Hill/Rocky Ridge is free.. I just did not want to pay for a season pass and only go once or twice a year!!!
    The issue is that Camp Mack is a boy scout property and is used for scouting events through the year and hunting by a limited group in the fall/winter. Susquehanna Area Mountain Bike Association - SAMBA has the map (all trails are marked by very nice red signs) and the listing of the dates it is closed (rifle season, 3D archery shoot, ect.) and when it's limited. The times it is limted, it is to keep people out of the main part of the camp and away from scouts.

mtbr member
    I used to ride Central Park all the time when I was at Millersville. The road riding in Lancaster County is top notch. Other than the Park, you unfortunately have to go kinda far out of town to get a decent mountain bike ride, though.

Cornwall/Mt. Gretna is probably your best bet for a nearby staple riding area. I used to like to park at Cornwall as it seemed a little closer coming in via 72. Your mileage may vary.

Consider going east to French Creek State Park or north to Weiser State Forest, near Lykens. Both have excellent trails and are less than an hour and a half's drive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Michaux is the place to be on the weekends...if your around this weekend we will be there Sat and Sun as usual.