mtbr member
    Apr 2010

New from NEPA...

Some guys are nuts on here. Posting pics of their bike in the shower I wouldn't take my relationship with my mountain bike that far.

Any hoo just took my training wheels off so I'm new to the scene and looking for good and interesting places to ride that would give rookies like me a hard time. In and around the Wilkes-Barre, Scranton Area.

Also got a Go Pro camera that i will be making videos with.
    KHS XC-204

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Moon Lake Park is fun, lots of variety. Frances Slocum is cool, less miles and more uphills and downhills than Moon Lake. What I mean is Moon Lake has plenty of trails that are fairly flat, whereas Slocum is more you gotta go up to get down type riding.

You'll find lots on here about Mountaintop, Lackawanna State Park, 7 Tubs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have been reading a bunch of threads of how fun Moon Lake is. I may consider riding there a couple times this summer. I heard that Kirby Park in W-B has a bike park somewhere in it but i can't seem to think of where it is at.

To start off i think i need more flat land. I can't breath at times going up hill. I'm too out of shape.

And you said places in Mountain Top? Where might they be?
    KHS XC-204

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You can just ride the dike in Kirby. You can follow the levy system from Kmart in Edwardsville all the way up to Wyoming. There's a few dirt trails along the river, or you can stay on the paved dike.

Also, if you go to Luzerne the back mountain rail trial is there. Go up Perry St. I think, by Knights of Columbus, and you will find the trails. There's also one on Route 11, along the river, that goes for some ways.

I've only ridden mountain top once and actually don't remember how to get to where we rode.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah i think that would be a good idea is to just ride the dike for a couple days to get my leg muscles used to riding again. Then work my way to the dirt trails by this or next weekend. Then think about going pro the following week.
    KHS XC-204

Wizard of the Trail
    You can also ride prompton dam, merli sarnoski, and Lackawanna state park. If your a rookie, stick with LSP first. Also, moosic moutain conservancy is good too, but Is for advanced skill levels.
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Man i thought it was going to be hard to find a new place to ride every weekend during the summer. I guess not. There are more then i thought would be for this area.
    KHS XC-204

Wizard of the Trail
    Yeah, we have alot of riding in NEPA.
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Stano, welcome to the region, i'm also a relative n00b to NE-PA. BUT here's what I have to add...

Tuesday 6pm, WVMTBA has an all-level MTB ride at Fancis Slocum, often followed by group-eats at Checkerboard restaurant. The trailhead is about 3/4 mile east of the intersection of Carverton Rd and Dugg Rd (stoplight, Checkboard on one corner, gas station opposite).

Wednesday 6pm, NEPMTBA has an all-level MTB ride at Moon Lake Park, probably wise to continue parking just outside the main gate even though the gate is reopening, otherwise parking in front of the park office. Entrance on Atherton Rd

Thursday 6pm, Hubbard Bike usually has their group ride at their "Barn" up the hill north of Scranton.

Friday 6pm, WVMTBA usually has their "CDH" ride, group gathing at one riders' residence up on Mountain Rd above Plymouth.

Saturday, NEPMTBA often has open rides. Often at Moon Lake but sometimes elsewhere.

Various people post up rides here for weekends, some are often epicly stupid in length (*cough* *cough*) some are more reasonable.

WVMTBA site : over here

NEPMTBA site : over here

Hubbard Bicycle Club site : over here

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the great info!
    KHS XC-204

Did you ever have ham?

New from NEPA...

Welcome aboard!!! There is alot of great riding in NEPA(and I have only scratched the surface)and even more great people!!! I still consider myself a noobie rider since I have only been riding for about a year. With my somewhat limited exposure to riding areas, I woud have to recommend Moon Lake and some rail trails for a rider with limited experience. Also, I was just introduced to the Switchback in Jim Thorpe...beautiful ride! I hope to be able to meet and ride with you one day.
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Sounds like a plan. I'm up for meetin new people to ride with plus all my friends sit and play videogames. Non of them have bikes
    KHS XC-204

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    videogames are for rainy days. or something like that.

i can say that now that I don't make them for a living. *wink*

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Those videogame are the reason I don't get to bed untill 2 or 3 in the morning when I have work at 7. That call of duty mw2 gets me evrytime. Snowplowman383 is my xbox name. Hit me up if you want to kill something.
    KHS XC-204

wounded knee
    Welcome aboard!
    There are lots of rails to trails in the area, thats what I started out on, just do a search for trails in PA
    http://www.traillink.com/home.aspx

Once you get your legs under you there are plenty of more technical trails to hit up, Bear set you up with a every day of the week ride!
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I appreciate the offer, but for very private/personal reasons I don't "do" the combat simulation in anything. For clarity: I'm not against game-violence, I just choose not to participate, even though I've contributed to the genre myself. Maybe something else some other time. Of course, I really do need a PS3 or 360 at home. I think a PS3 is next though, as we also need a Blue-Ray player.

mtbr member
    Welcome Stano...I see everyone else has chimed in. You will find there is no such thing as not being able to find trails around here or some real great groups & riders to hook up with.

Trust me, you won't be bored!

Welcome!!

Kevin
    wvmtba.com
    Facebook.com/Plains Bike Shop

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    I appreciate the offer, but for very private/personal reasons I don't "do" the combat simulation in anything. For clarity: I'm not against game-violence, I just choose not to participate, even though I've contributed to the genre myself. Maybe something else some other time. Of course, I really do need a PS3 or 360 at home. I think a PS3 is next though, as we also need a Blue-Ray player.

Bear, if your into racing, and Moto (I AM!) you cant beat the new ATV MX Reflex game, it's so realistic, and playing other people online just adds to the intensity.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by stano0098
    Also got a Go Pro camera that i will be making videos with.
    What kind of a mount do you use?
    I have the new HD and have been trying different mounts, and I''m still not happy.
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtrider6
    What kind of a mount do you use?
    I have the new HD and have been trying different mounts, and I''m still not happy.

Ok just got done setting it up. I don;t know how well it will work or how good these videos will be but here it is...

http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/8690/1000271v.jpg
    http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/9706/1000272j.jpg
    http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/3637/1000273.jpg
    http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/6922/1000274g.jpg

Didn't like the front reflector anyway. Not really riding it on the street enough to need it.
    KHS XC-204

wounded knee
    Cool idea

I used my reflector mount and attached (Duct taped) 2 small flashlights for getting cought in the dark.

I just ordered the handlebar/seat post mount, the roll bar/ frame mount, and a extra rechargeable battery (for those long epic rides) from GoPro this Morning
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Ill try to get some footage of me riding at the end of the weekend. Monday the latest. Too much to do during the week to get out and ride.
    KHS XC-204

wounded knee
    Quote Originally Posted by stano0098
    Ill try to get some footage of me riding at the end of the weekend. Monday the latest. Too much to do during the week to get out and ride.
    I hear you, believe me I do!
    For the Wednesday rides at the mOOn, I take my bike and gear to work, and leave from there, and yes it's worth it!
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock