mtbr member
    Nov 2013

new mtb trails at HollowOak.org west side of Pittsburgh, near moon twp

Folks, There are new trails being built at HollowOak.org near moon twp in west suburbs of pittsburgh. Hilly and technical, not beginner.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    They've actually completed the work and there's about 10 miles of trails total.

Here's the map:

new mtb trails at HollowOak.org  west side of Pittsburgh, near moon twp-map_montourrunc_large.jpg
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

Heavylegs
    Apr 2012
    Is this located at Hollow Oak Land Trust 949 Thorn Run Rd Coraopolis, PA 15108? What are the conditions lately, and what is the chance that I could ride there this weekend I live in Youngstown, Ohio and would like to come down
    Last edited by redd4573; 11-04-2013 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Wrong info

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by redd4573 View Post
    Is this located at Hollow Oak Land Trust 949 Thorn Run Rd Coraopolis, PA 15108? What are the conditions lately, and what is the chance that I could ride there this weekend I live in Youngstown, Ohio and would like to come down
    I believe that is their business address. There's parking on Hassam Rd and Downing Rd, as shown on the map. However, for the spot they have marked at the end of Nike Rd - there's a gate there that I've never seen open (it's right down the street from a friend's house) and wouldn't try parking there.

https://www.google.com/maps?ll=40.48...24397&t=h&z=16

Heavylegs
    Apr 2012
    So I guess it is safe to say there is not an offical trail head then. Who built the trails jcaino? I think if the weather allows so a trip I will head down that way this weekend to check it out!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Volunteer work through PTAG.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

local

Quote Originally Posted by jcaino View Post
    Volunteer work through PTAG.
    There is a 10 car parking lot on Hassam Road. Newcomers might do better parking there. It has been a little wet around here lately. There will be lots of mud in the valley, but the hillsides stay pretty dry. The land trust actually built the trails, along with the very generous help of PTAG and their loaner tools.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I am going to try to get out there sometime this week. I'll let you know how they are.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Had a chance to ride a small portion of this a few weeks ago. PTAG is doing a great job. Oil Well trail both directions is a good time. Looking forward to getting out there to do some more.

mtbr member
    Great job to the trail-makers! Best trails close to home for me. Tough to compete with North Park, but you get exercise and it's fun. Look out for trail runners, hikers, and dog walkers/runners. Don't forget hunters, hunting by permit only. Make sure you and your pet are properly identifiable!
    As far as Nike Road parking, not so sure about that. If it's where I found, it's a private drive...got the stinkeye while sneaking back on the public/private access point...went back.
    Last edited by Badassbassangler; 06-04-2014 at 04:36 PM. Reason: extra info
    Only if I got paid to hang out in my garage and tweak on my bikes...

mtbr member
    Looks interesting.

mtbr member
    Went out there today, could not find it, came home looks on google maps and duh I drove right past it, thinking of giving it another shot. I was looking for the Hassam rd parking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I had a chance to get out and ride some on Tuesday. The trails are really taking shape. I parked on Hassam Rd and rode Oil Well Trail up to Meeks Run. From there Powerline up to Hemlocks Trail. It was about 4 miles but I managed to get close to 500 feet in elevation change. Hemlocks has some challenging spots and the backside is a great run.
    No, it's not North Park, but it's a great spot to get lost for an hour and if you like peace and quiet, it's a great spot.
    Next time I ride I'll snap a few pictures to share.