mtbr member
    Jan 2011

new member from pa

hey this is my first post here i looked a couple time then thought i would join, a little about myself. im 15 i ride a stock cannondale f600, and i live in wallingford pa, its near media springfield, brokhaven, around there and im looking for good places to ride and maby a person to ride with thats my age.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Welcome to the Brotherhood of the Knobby Tyre.

I don't know your area (I've only been a PA resident for about 18 months..) but I'd look to find a local cycling group and hook up with their group rides. Lots of good cameraderie and shared learning that way.

Probably a lot more happening once the snow melts some though. :^)

You should also check out a couple other forums for more-local-oriented stuff, if you haven't found them...

Philly MTB : http://www.phillymtb.org/forum

NJ MTB : http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/index.php

Lehigh Valley MTB : http://bikevmb.com/

Goodness knows if there's others.

mtbr member
    Welcome
    bunnyhopbikes.com
    morewoodbikes.com

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Welcome.
    Not sure about the age group aspect...since I'm pretty much old enough to be your dad
    You're in a good area though. You've got Pennypack, White Clay, and Brandywine very close to where you are. North is the Lehigh Valley area, with tons to ride, and even farther North in the Wilkes/Scranton area is great riding. All depends on how far you want to travel.
    Check out the PhillyMTB site that Bear mentioned, they'll be right in your area.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    thanks for all the help guys. ill look into a local biking club

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Here's some more N/NW of Philly

Hi from Upper Bucks County. You might like French Creek State Park near Birdsboro (lots of trails, deeps woods, pretty rocky); Stover-High Rocks State Park near Plumsteadville (rooty, rocky, popular with rock climbers, too); Blue Marsh in Bernville NW of Reading (lots of trail mileage, scenic open XC circling a lake); Nockamixon near Quakertown-Ottsville (currently in development- scenic woodsy XC overlooking a lake with creek crossings); Salisbury or Sals between Allentown and Bethlehem (really cool, AM rig worthy, rocky, rooty, logs on a mountainside designed specifically for mtbrs); same for South Mountain near Emmaus; Jordan near Allentown in Whitehall (very convenient - a lot of trail packed into a very compact area - you're never far from the trailhead if you need to bail quickly); Broad Mountain and American Standard (out of hunting season) near Jim Thorpe for Pocono-style riding.

Good luck!

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerpbl
    hey this is my first post here i looked a couple time then thought i would join, a little about myself. im 15 i ride a stock cannondale f600, and i live in wallingford pa, its near media springfield, brokhaven, around there and im looking for good places to ride and maby a person to ride with thats my age.
    wissahickon park, when you can get up that way... never been that close to philly with my bike, but I heard it is really good and lots of variety. I don't know of anything else close to you.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Here's a good place to start. Really friendly and supportive riders. Always have rides for all abilities, skills clinics, etc.

http://www.meetup.com/mountainbiking/

Or Google "Philadelphia MTB Meetup"

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    There's trail much closer to your home. I live in Drexel Hill. Try riding at swarthmore college/smedley. Also behind O'Hara high school, there's tons of single track. Brandywine isn't that far from you.
    I am also old enough to be your dad, but I welcome people of all ages on any ride.

look up the Philadelphia mountain bike meetup group and PMBA. They are good spots to get connected with other riders in the area.

Did you ever have ham?
    I don't have anything useful to add...LOL!!! I don't know the area you are from, but I just wanted to welcome you to MTBR!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks to all the comments especially to bear and tduro- very good links and already sign up for the PMBA skills clinic on saturday 5/14/11. I am also new to mtbr and been looking for trails and group to join to have someone to ride with.
    Last edited by jmcast; 05-01-2011 at 06:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcast
    Thanks to all the comments especially to bear and tduro- very good links and already sign up for the PMBA skills clinic on saturday 5/14/11. I am also new to mtbr and been looking for trails and group to join to have someone to ride with.
    IIRC, it's tough to be 15 yrs. old. Still reliant on the rents. Can't drive yourself anywhere.

But if you haven't noticed yet, we MTB'rs indiscrimanately thrive on fellow riders' enthusiasm. Age doesn't matter. At 47 yrs. old I regularly ride with riders from their teens up into their 60's. And they're all good fun and good company. Youthfullness brings relentless energy and fearlessness, while maturity brings experience, wisdom and a bit of carefully placed craziness. It's really cool to see that all play out on the trail. But we're all there for the same thing - self improvement and the thrill of the ride!

Just get out there and ride, ride, ride. And then ride some more. Ride hard, get as fit as you can, and keep trying out different riding groups. You'll soon find where you fit in. But as you grow into better fitness and skill sets, you and your riding groups will evolve accordingly. It's all good.

And when you learn to drive in the next year or two, the MTB world will be yours to sample at will.

Good luck, and good riding.

mtbr member
    i live in the Wilkes-Barre/scranton area and theres a lot of places around here as well as a lot of members. I just need a bike carrier to get my bike around to different places