mtbr member
    Dec 2005

New question here. New(ish) to NE PA

So I moved here a coupel of months ago all the way from scotland. Well with work and a few other things havn't really had a chance to get out on the bike also because of lack of Transport and lack of lack of knowlege of the local trails. I stay in Moscow PA is if any one knows of any trails near by of nice people who drive near by that woudl be great.

Back home i mostly rode XC but nothing major (I'm kinda out of shape lol). any way let me know any help would be great

Moray

cmh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Unfortunately I'm not going to be much help. I've tried (but not terribly hard) to find riding in the Paupack area where my in-laws live. There are some trails that are open to bikes in Promised Land state park on Route 390, south of Route 84. Nothing spectacular, but I haven't been on them in a while. One thing that is notably missing in that immediate area is any bike shops to ask about trails. Seems if you have a MTB around there, folks wanna know what happened to the motor.

An hour away is Jim Thorpe, which I have yet to get to, but is supposed to be some of the best riding on the east coast. Not exactly local to you, though.

A quick shot down Rte 380 (google maps says ~30 minutes) is Tobyhanna state park, which seems to have both trails and allow bikes:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/STATEPAR...na.aspx#hiking
    http://www.fallinpa.com/fallinpa/mou...tion=tobyhanna

Don't know if there any shops in your area that you can check with. I'd be very interested to hear what you find, if anything. There's so much forest out there, there's got to be SOMETHING! Good luck!

cmh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    also check the thread on Lakeville, PA by desurfer - same general area!

Shrinking Clyde Rider :-)
    The closest decent trails to you that I know of would be in Mountian Top, which is about 20 minutes of you. As for local bike shops check out Cedar Bike Shop in Scranton on Pittston Ave, Main Bike World in Kingston on Rt11, or Country Ski and Sports in Wilkes-Barre on rt309. They all have web site and I am sure they could all help you with local trails. I myself requent the Broad Mtn trails and occasioanly I ride the Mtn Top trails. If you ever get down this way and want someone to show you around just send me a PM.

Vintage 2 Stroke Mt Biker
    Moray:

That's a tough one. Moscow has trails, Moosic Mountain, but they are private. Lackawanna State forest in Thornhurst is one place you could ride, but mostly dirt roads.The hiking trails are off limits to bikes. If you look at a map the little Lehigh river has a trail next to it for a few miles, but it also is a dirt road. How about Bradys lake? Some more trails there, but not much! Got a map? Try Flash Earth or Terraserver! There is a trail connecting Gouldsboro state park and Tobyhanna and the old rt 611 there to ride. Please call the park office before going there. They were in the process of removing old shells from there. It was a testing range years ago!

I hope it helps! at least you have a bunch of names to look at and explore.

If you ever make your way down into the Wyoming Valley stop by we have rides here.

Beagán agus a rá go maith.
    Good Luck!

^ The Trail Starts Here ^
    Moray:

The Lackawanna State Forest is open to MTBs according to this:

Pinchot Trail in Lacawanna State Forest

http://www.mountainbikepa.com/trails/trails.asp.
    [SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com