Thread: New here

New MTBR member

New here

Hi all. Just wanted to introduce myself. Name is Michele. I live in Northeast PA (the Pocono Mountains), and am 37yo stay at home Mom. Husband was a MT biker years ago and recently got back into it with the help of my little bro. Not wanting to be left behind, I decided to give it a try and Iím hooked. Havenít been on any real trails yet, just some road riding and a little ďdirt roadĒ stuff here in the neighborhood. Really looking forward to getting on the trails. Up until yesterday, I was riding a department store MT bike, but hubby took me out and I tried a few until I found a nice entry level one I liked. Itís a Specialized Hardrock Comp. Yes, itís a menís bike, but I was just more comfy on it, and I adore it.

Anyone in this area recommend any beginner type trails? Any tips?

Thanks!!

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    I'll just get this out of the way....

OMGHI2U!!!

mtbr member
    cool! Mens bikes and womens are mainly the same anymore. Trek, Specialized and some others came out with "womens specific designs" (WSD), but a lot of women will ride a "mens" bike because of the models offered.
    Start saving your money cause bike shops are like drug dealers... We're the coke addicts. You won't be able to walk out of a shop without spending atleast $40. Have fun, Fahn

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Hello!!

Hey Michelle!! I use a Specialized mens bike also. Mine is the Stumpjumper though. Depending on where in the Poconos you are and how far you are willing to travel would help with giving you suggestions. Jim Thorpe has many different trails to offer. Jacobsburg near Belfast is alot of fun. let us know.

Veronika

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If you're near Jacobsburg, Saucon Valley Bikes puts on a Wednesday night ride every Wed starting at 6:30. It splits into beginner, intermediate, and 'fast' groups so you can get a feel for what you like. There are several women on this ride so its a good one for all kinds of riders.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Smile

Irishgirl:

Really easy...

http://www.nepmtba.piczo.com

Come ride with us we have something for everyone and many places to ride! Our ride leaders would be glad to give ya a tour and we don't leave anyone behind so any level is welcome. No racing just great rides with breaks!

Shameless plug

Our MTB Weekend is 9/13-14 at Moon Lake Park drive and camp ride 2 days in a row Free camping

Questions
    nepmtba@yahoo.com

Welcome aboard...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    NEPMTBA,

i'm gonna go ahead here, and you've probably already heard it, but the weekend you've picked for your event is a relatively poor one given the popularity of the RCST event. i will admit however, i know it is about the only weekend open in terms of race scheduling. stupid racers.

that said, best of luck with it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

... and if we just ... Across the border

Lots of ladies riding in New Jersey too. We have All Girls Day rides also. We also have women clinics which are free too. You can check it out on Mtbnj.com,....female forums. PS. we have an "irishguy" on mtbnj.com

This is a great weekend to get out and ride. NJ is also having it's first ever bikefest too. So you have lots of rides to choose from. Hope to see you out on the trails!

NJ Bikefest! This weekend!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st Annual JORBA Bike Fest Schedule

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay Folks,

Here is the tenative schedule for JORBAfest. We are trying to pack a lot of activities into a relatively short period of time, so its going to be a fairly action packed day.

Again, just a reminder that JORBAfest is being held on Saturday, September 13th at the Waterloo Concert Field. (The rain date for this event is September 14th.) The concert field is located off of Waterloo Road (near the Mt. Allamuchy Boy Scout Camp entrance). The physical address is 10 Kinney Road, Stanhope, NJ 07874.

This is the opportunity to ride 3 different state parks, all levels including the 24 hour of Allamuchy race park. It also has bike demos of XC and cyclocross with a cross course on site.

Tentative Schedule:

7am - 10am Pre-Festival Set Up

10am Registration Opens (Sign-in, Waiver & Bracelet)

10:30am-2:30pm Advanced Mountain Bike Ride in Allamuchy State Park

10:30am-2:30pm Advanced Women's Only Ride

11:00am Jeff Lenosky!!!

12:00pm-12:50pm 1st Skills Clinic by Cycleworks

12:15pm-2:45pm 1st Intermediate Mountain Bike Ride in Stephens State Park

12:15pm-1:15pm 1st Kids Ride at Tilcon Lake (1.5 miles)

12:30pm-2:00pm 1st Beginners Ride in Stephens State Park (4 miles)

12:40pm-2:05pm Women's Beginner Ride in Stephens State Park (4 miles)

1:00pm-1:50pm 2nd Skills Clinic by Cycleworks

2:00pm-3:00pm 1st Raffle

2:00pm-2:50pm 3rd Skills Clinic by Cycleworks

2:30pm Cyclocross Demo by Marty's and Skylands Cycling

3:00pm-5:00pm 2nd Intermediate Ride in Deer Park (7-10 miles)

3:00pm-4:30pm 2nd Beginners Mountain Bike Ride in Stephens State Park

3:00pm-4:00pm 2nd Kids Ride at Tilcon Lake (1.5 miles)

3:00pm-4:00pm Skinnies Contest

4:00pm-4:50pm 4th Skills Clinic by Cycleworks

4:00pm-5:00pm Jeff Lenosky!!!

5:00pm-6:00pm 2nd Raffle

6:30pm Night Ride

As you can see, we have plenty of ride options available. For those of you who wish not to ride in an organized group, we will also have a 7 mile marked intermediate loop in Stephens State Park.
    Also, some of the Sponsors might be having their own events that are not listed here.
    For more information, visit --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://jorbafest.blogspot.com for pictures
    or
    For more information, visit http://www.bikefest.jorba.org

Allamuchy Joe

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hi all, I'm also a newbie, never been on a mountain bike before about a month ago... Have been out a few times in the last few weeks on borrowed bikes and am a bit addicted. Now I have to make a decision on which bike to buy and I need help!!! Those in the know have told me I should buy a hardtail, better bike to learn on and my bike skills & control will be better than going straight for a full sus bike. Thing is, I can buy a brand new Iron Horse Yakuza Ojiki 7" for a great price and I don't know if I should go for it... Most of the riding I would be doing is some messing about on the mountain, down some rocky, rooty tracks and forest trails. Help please!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by bighitdon
    NEPMTBA,

i'm gonna go ahead here, and you've probably already heard it, but the weekend you've picked for your event is a relatively poor one given the popularity of the RCST event. i will admit however, i know it is about the only weekend open in terms of race scheduling. stupid racers.

that said, best of luck with it.
    Hi Don:

Yes, I already gave many I'm Sorry to RCST, even though no reason to Everyone has there own choice, but it was the only weekend the park would give me so it was that or nothing! Nothing SUX We spent the entire summer developing this Mt Bike park and it's building like wildfire. the county is behind it major, so we gotta do what we gotta do!

I promise next year we will be on a different weekend and support the RCST one! Anyway if our event benifits the Wyoming Valley and Luzerne County it will be a success, being our first year and will will get many beginners it should be great for the local area. RCST is more upgrade and doesn't have a major population as close as we do! Not comapring! Just blabbing... LOL!

There's also the Tour de Shunk and even though it's road lot's of Mt Bikers go to it!
    Thanks See ya on the trails

mtbr member

Jim Thorpe

If you are close to Jim Thorpe we have a lot of beginner friendly rides. There is the Lehigh Gorge rails-to-trails, the Weissport RTT, and Switchback. Switchback maps are on our website, in the signature below. In October my wife and I will be leading guided rides for 3 weekends, she will be doing Beginner ones, I'll do Expert. Check MTBR for details to come. The Poconos are a great place to ride, and there are a lot of options for different abilities. Have fun!
    Jim Thorpe Trail Coalition
    http://jttrails.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hello again, just realised I hijacked this post, sorry about that, newbie faux pas...won't happen again.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ruthabella
    Hello again, just realised I hijacked this post, sorry about that, newbie faux pas...won't happen again.
    Not a prob everyone's friendly here!