Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6

    New guy from PA couple ?'s

    Hey i'm new here and have been reading the forums for about 2 weeks now and have a couple questions.Ok i live in lake Ariel and plan on riding prompton because is really close.All the reviews I have read said it is for skilled riders I can ride a bike and have been my whole life (im 21)except for the last couple years.So my question is how skilled would i have to be to ride it without killing myself?Also I will be getting my first real bike I always had walmart,***** ect. bikes(glad I did some research this time) I will be going to cedar bike and will have a max of about $500 to spend on a bike and helmet.Will a bike in this price range hold up to riding at prompton I have never seen the trails but I am just assuming they are rough if its for skilled riders?Also are they knowledgeable at cedar bike because i was just going to see what they recommend for a bike in this price range?
    Thanks for the help

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LarryFahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,625
    Well, you just missed me! I was down Cedar this afternoon. For $500 we'll get you on a bike and rolling. Prompton is a place that you'll need some previous off road skills to ride, but it's a good place to get better at too. It's a long ride around the lake. At minimum I'd say 10 miles. It has a great mix from climbs and decents to rocky and smooth sections. It's all singletrack too. I used to live in LA. Where are you living? The Hideout?

    One thing that yuo'll want to upgrade to pretty soon is going to be clipless pedals. Get the bike you want but make this your first upgrade in the future.

    As far as places to ride, there's Lackawanna State Park, Prompton, Merli, Hubbard and the Moosic Mountain Conservancy. The MMC is pretty close to you, but I'd consider that the most advanced network in our area right now. BTW, I listed them in the order of easiest to hardest.

    Come up Hubbard on a Thursnight ride and you'll get to meet about 60 riders that will show you around. I usually lead a more relaxed ride. We stop at the top of the hills and wait for everyone. It's mainly ST on Hubbard. Look down a couple post and you'll see a Hubbard one.

    Stop at the *****on City, Cedar Bike. It's across from the anchor. The shop is open Saturdays 10-4, Mon-Thurs 10-7:30, Friday 10-6. I'll PM you.

    Fahn

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6
    OK,thanks for the advice.I live a few houses in back of Kay's.I was hoping prompton would be Ok my GF live right in Waymart so its close.I have never been on real trails,but I used to ride all the time with my bothers on the stuff you mentioned prompton has and jumps and stuff around my house,but that was years ago.My GF is going to ride with me Do you think Lackawanna State Park would be to hard for a girl who can only ride on flat ground (she was scared of going over a tree branch that was maybe 5in in diameter and crashed her bike when her watter bottle fell out (wish i would of seen that )
    I was planning on going up to Hubbard once I got a bike and got my GF a new bike(she got a walmart bike).I wish i new there was that many trails and places for bikes years ago.
    Thanks for the info

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    151

    Prompton video

    There's a video I made riding the trails at Prompton. It's on the Hubbardbike.com website

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6
    Looks like a lot of fun I will definitely have to go up there.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: raoul duke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    103
    Go to Cedar Bike and talk to Larry. He has a great deal of bike knowledge and is a top notch mechanic. He'll set you up with a sweet 29er. Then you'll be rolling over those silly riders still clinging to their puny 26 inch bikes.

  7. #7
    Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Reputation: NEPMTBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,973

    Good job! It's all about the RIDE...

    Welcome:

    See Dave Johns the owner from Cedar Bike! He's a great guy! Tell him "Lee" from NEPMTBA sent ya!

    Here's more fun! Your welcome to join us anytime! We ride somewhere everyday of the week. Every other Monday is 7 Tubs, Every Tuesday is Frances Slocum, Wednesday is various, Every Thursday is Mt Top, Every Friday is Chinese Downhill! Weekends are the out of town rides: Jim Thorpe, Coburn, Tussey Mt, Rattling Creek, Roaring Creek, Aristies, Mainville, Danville, Prompton, Lackawanna SP, Jascobsburg SP, Lackawanna State Forest, Diablo, Plattekill, Rays, Moosic Mt!

    We don't leave anyone behind and have all levels of skill rides from Easy to the Smashing Plates Super Downhill Trail... ridden by few, tried and died by many... We'll keep ya off that for a while... LOL!

    http://www.nepmtba.piczo.com

    Where RIDING is our MAJOR PROBLEM!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6
    I never new there was so much mountain biking around the area.Makes me want to go get a bike tomorrow, Iooks like i will be busy when I get a bike. "Smashing Plates Super Downhill Trail" Hmm sounds fun but i don't like the hospital lol.

  9. #9
    Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Reputation: NEPMTBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,973

    Good job!

    Quote Originally Posted by trapperj86
    I never new there was so much mountain biking around the area.Makes me want to go get a bike tomorrow, Iooks like i will be busy when I get a bike. "Smashing Plates Super Downhill Trail" Hmm sounds fun but i don't like the hospital lol.
    Glad to have ya on board!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LarryFahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,625
    Quote Originally Posted by raoul duke
    Go to Cedar Bike and talk to Larry. He has a great deal of bike knowledge and is a top notch mechanic. He'll set you up with a sweet 29er. Then you'll be rolling over those silly riders still clinging to their puny 26 inch bikes.
    On a scale of 1 to 10... How much sarcasm is applied?

  11. #11
    Someone stole my Pacific!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    13
    Trapper,

    I'm pretty new to the sport also, and have ridden Frances Slocum with NEPMTBA and also Hubbard. Both places offer organized rides with more experienced cyclists who can help you out and give you tips or advice that it may take you much longer to learn on your own. I know that when I ride with them, they are always able to point out things that I could do better, and also point out the things I'm already doing well. It really helps your learning curve. Also, if you run into a mechanical problem that you're not sure how to go about fixing, there is always someone there to explain what is wrong with your bike, and how to get it working right again. I would definitley recommend riding with one of the groups at least the first few times. In my opinion, the Frances Slocum/NEPMTBA ride is easier than Hubbard, and I would suggest riding there first.

    Also, I would suggest that you take a couple of bucks out of your budget and invest it in at least a multi-tool for making mechanical adjustments and supplies to repair a flat tire. Bicycles are a lot less fun when you have to push them out of the woods!

    P.S. I'll be riding at Frances Slocum on Tuesday, and I live just a few blocks from Cedar Bike. If you're interested in going, let me know and we can meet at Cedar Bike or someplace else convenient and head down together. The week after next, I'm going to try and ride Hubbard on their Thursday night ride.

    Good luck to you, and hope to see you on the trail soon, whichever one it may be!

    Frank

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by nozoxon
    Trapper,

    I'm pretty new to the sport also, and have ridden Frances Slocum with NEPMTBA and also Hubbard. Both places offer organized rides with more experienced cyclists who can help you out and give you tips or advice that it may take you much longer to learn on your own. I know that when I ride with them, they are always able to point out things that I could do better, and also point out the things I'm already doing well. It really helps your learning curve. Also, if you run into a mechanical problem that you're not sure how to go about fixing, there is always someone there to explain what is wrong with your bike, and how to get it working right again. I would definitley recommend riding with one of the groups at least the first few times. In my opinion, the Frances Slocum/NEPMTBA ride is easier than Hubbard, and I would suggest riding there first.

    Also, I would suggest that you take a couple of bucks out of your budget and invest it in at least a multi-tool for making mechanical adjustments and supplies to repair a flat tire. Bicycles are a lot less fun when you have to push them out of the woods!

    P.S. I'll be riding at Frances Slocum on Tuesday, and I live just a few blocks from Cedar Bike. If you're interested in going, let me know and we can meet at Cedar Bike or someplace else convenient and head down together. The week after next, I'm going to try and ride Hubbard on their Thursday night ride.

    Good luck to you, and hope to see you on the trail soon, whichever one it may be!

    Frank
    Yea I was planning on checking out both of them.I will PM you when I get a bike in probably 2 weeks.Maybe a week longer I forgot about a multi-tool,patches.ect.What time does NEPMTBA usually leave?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: LarryFahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,625
    Send me a PM a couple days before you go down. I'll try to be there. I can spend some time with you to make sure you're on the right bike and help with whatever else you need. We'll talk trails and where to ride and stuff. ttyl, Fahn

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryFahn
    Send me a PM a couple days before you go down. I'll try to be there. I can spend some time with you to make sure you're on the right bike and help with whatever else you need. We'll talk trails and where to ride and stuff. ttyl, Fahn
    OK will do ttyl,Matt

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •