mtbr member

Good job! New dirt jumps near Downingtown

I just wanted to share some of the work we've been up to. My friend owns a campground in Gap,PA (Near downingtown), and we've been building dirt jumps on this land. We are going to open this up to the pubic in the future, which will be super rad because you can pay one reasonable price and camp and ride all weekend. He has talked to the insurance company and they have given us the go ahead, so all looks good. I will update this thread as we get more done, right now it doesnt look like much, but it will be soon.

If anyone wants to check this out and help dig and pack, get in touch with me. I'll probably go out next weekend.

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    PhotobucketPhotobucket
    Photobucket

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Looks awesome! Will there be any XC trails or will it be a small loop. Either way it looks fun.

mtbr member
    Not really any XC trails, we really don't have enough land for anything good like that. We will have more freeride type stuff with ladders and bridges and skills areas, so it could be fun on an all mountain type bike. We are focusing right now on tabletops, and this weekend something like a pump track. It will be downhill and twist and wind with berms and roller/jumps.

Is there anything specific that anyone would like to see? I have a backhoe and a skid loader so pretty much anything is possible...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Don't forget rollers and berms. Combos and tranfers, nobody likes a straight set of jumps.

Also it helps to build the landings bigger than the take offs so you can pump more speed.

I will try to lend a hand but I've got my own set to try and keep up and running so it is hard to find the time and mostly the energy to dig all the time.

How much are do you have and what is the terrain like?

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    There needs to be some tall berms ( at least 4' high ) like Ted's house. You know the kind... So you can get horizontal with the ground...

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Yo Todd, how ya doin? Whats up with Judd and Jason? Haven't seen you guys in a while, Can you find out the real deal with Minersville, I keep hearing conflicting stories and I don't want to waste a trip, are the trails runnin?

Please send a pm if you want to keep it on the DL, thanks

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Ted! Whats up!? Just riding our local Gretna trails. Haven't really talked to Jud lately, but I'm sure he's working on his jumps in Lebanon.

Jason's a new dad! He has a couple month old son, so I know he's been busy.

I've been hearing conflicting stories about minersville too, but it still sounds like the trails are open. I'll see if I can ask some one thats been up there recently.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    About what? 13 or so miles West of Downingtown? Off of Rt. 30? Is it the campground off of Rt. 741? Or the one ON Rt. 30 just before Kinzers?
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    The one on Route 30...

mtbr member
    looks like you guys have been busy diggin'. I've been out diggingg everyday after it rains and have been making some good progress. finished 2 berms and a wallride in the last week!

Looks like you've been using a golfcart to pack the lips.

Ted what day is good for you this week? Hopefully we don't get rained out this week.
    Team _________

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Casey, I will be digging/riding tomorrow night, you haven't been over in a little while, things are a little different

I'm dialing in a little staircase, sequential stepup rollers, all kinds of options and rythems and the jump out of the 180 is bigger, we also need to work on your berm.

its endless

Todd, give everyone my best, hope to see you guys soon.

mtbr member
    Ted, I'll see if I can bring Ryan or Tony over to help, call you tommorrow. I have an Idea for that berm.
    Team _________

locked - time out
    Feb 2007
    Ted I'd love to make it down some time soon, let me know when you guys will be around on a weekend. Should be able to get Jud, if it's a sunday. Going to check out 7 Springs this sat. too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rollertoaster
    Looks like you've been using a golfcart to pack the lips.
    week.
    Not so much to pack them, just to transport tools and stuff.

I have heard of other trails in Downingtown, is that who Ted is? Sorry, I'm not too into the scene yet.

Also, is Jud the guy who used to work at JB Mountain bikes? I help out there occasionally for Justin, and I have heard him talk of a Jud, but I thought he was just into XC racing...

I'd love to check out some other trails, and would be happy to help dig. I am healing up a collarbone and rib fracture right now, but I will still do what I can.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Yeah, I have some trails in d-town, used to have more but some have been bulldozed. Now I just build at home with the help of some dedicated riders/builders, rollertoaster being one of them.

I provide a place for riders and racers to get together at the end of the season to ride and bbq and hang out, it is becoming a tradition and has really kind of taken off and is an event that I think most riders look forward to more than any race on the calender, kind of strange, but cool. Heres a link to some vid that was shot at last years party.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U1LvX6zJjM

We should hook up, I would like to help you out if I can, another set of sweet PA trails would be good, we are the dj mecca after all.

Oh, Jud is old school, maybe even older than me , bad a$$ rider, hits every line at minersville which is not for the faint of heart.

mtbr member
    Wow, cool vid and trails look like a lot of fun.

The great thing about the campground stuff is that we have equipment to build with, really cuts down on the hand digging. I plan on going down there probably this Sunday, I can't ride yet...But I should be able to operate the skid loader and that is all that matters

The first line that is in the pictures only took us about 4 hours total. The rest of the area has a downgrade and I want to carve a trail that winds back and forth with BIG berms and rollers. After that I can link more things in and have different twisty jump lines.

Let me know when you are building sometime and I will make the trip down. I don't really work over the summer so I am pretty flexible.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Awesome! I havent hit any DJ's since I moved to the USA! Keep us updated on them dude! Would love to come and hit them sometime.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

Any photo updates?

Love to see some!
    Thanks!
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

mtbr member
    Sorry dudes. No updates. I was lame and spent last weekend on a boat in the Chesapeake Bay.

As soon as anything changes I'll definitely get some pics up.