mtbr member
    Dec 2007

New Biker in Fairfield/Gettsyburg

Howdy,

I have just recently taken up Mountain Biking (< 1 year). I live in Fairfield, and have for a while, so I am familiar with the area, but I don't know where to pick up some good trail heads. I am familiar with several parking areas/roads through Michaeux, so I should be able to figure out any places where I'm pointed.

I've been riding mainly in Maryland since I've taken up MTB'ing, places like Gambrill and Greenbriar.

Any helpful tips would be appreciated.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Welcome! I'm not sure how much help I can give you since I'm pretty new myself. I've been going to Blue Marsh in Reading and Rocky Ridge in York to get my fix.

Also, this past weekend my father and I went out to Breezewood and rode the abandoned turnpike tunnels. I would recommend that for you, it's a nice ride.

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Michaux/Pine Grove have a lot of places to ride. I used Google Earth (free download) to get a picture of parking lots and fire roads throughout the area. Using those pictures I was able to find a plethora of trails. I was in Michaux (Big Flat parking lot-near intersection of Shippensburg Rd and Rt. 233) last evening for a quick 10 miler. It was a little chilly!

Caledonia also has alot of trails that I was unaware of until I rode with the MBM (Mountain Bikers of Michaux) guys.
    Maverick Durance Ano-DUC32/C KING/XTR
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    09 Spec. Demo-Totem-Ti DHX
    Norco Team DH

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by Datalogger
    I was in Michaux (Big Flat parking lot-near intersection of Shippensburg Rd and Rt. 233) last evening for a quick 10 miler. It was a little chilly!

Was that you I saw up there? I rolled in to the parking lot around 4 or 4:30 and saw another rider across the lot as I unloaded. I rode the singletrack around the reservoir this evening and took a few pics.

A few pictures from today's ride
    No moss...

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    I was in the parking lot around that time. Were you in the red Dodge? I parked at the bottom of the hill at the Shippensburg Rd/233 Intersection and rode up Shippensburg Rd. I was stretching in the parking lot before I went down the ATV trail.
    Maverick Durance Ano-DUC32/C KING/XTR
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    09 Spec. Demo-Totem-Ti DHX
    Norco Team DH

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by Datalogger
    I was in the parking lot around that time. Were you in the red Dodge? I parked at the bottom of the hill at the Shippensburg Rd/233 Intersection and rode up Shippensburg Rd. I was stretching in the parking lot before I went down the ATV trail.

Yup, that was me. I was gonna ride dark hollow but there were a bunch of hunters parked around there so I drove up to the parking lot & rode some of the stuff from Sunday's ride. I found a nice stretch of singletrack off the power line that went back to the parking lot. Got to the end, turned around & rode it back the other way.
    No moss...