Thread: New to the area

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

New to the area

Hey folks. Just moved up here from Asheville, NC. Left some awesome trails down there and i'm looking to find some good territory up here.
    I'm now in the shippensburg/chambersburg area (South Central PA off 81). I used to race DH so aggressive descents are welcomed but any and all good trails are what i'm looking for. If there are rider groups that have regular rides i'd love to meet up and get to know some folks or if you have trail suggestions that'll work too. Thanks in advance!
    Neal

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Cool-blue Rhythm

Hi Neal, welcome to Pa and mtbr.com

I'm up here in the northeastern part pf Pa, but you'll find lots in your area to ride, near York, Pa, Rocky Ridge, Lake Redman, near Harrisburg, Mt Gretna, and Swatara further up Rt81 Out towards State college you'll wanna hit Raystown, Tussey Mountain!

I could go on forever Blue Marsh, Marsh Creek and even down into Delaware, White Clay and the M.O.R.E group in Maryland.

Of course our Pa State Parks and Forest provide more opportunities! PA¬*DCNR¬*-¬*Where PA¬*DCNR¬*-¬*State Forests

Downhilling at Seven Springs, and the trails in Reading, Pa it's worth the ride to Blue Mountain or Mountain Creek also Lots of threads to look at here on mtbr and of course a search will bring you more. I'm sure others will respond with more local to you stuff also!

If your ever up for a spin up Rt81 to my area your always welcome to join us for rides at Moon Lake!

Any help ya need
    I'm here for ya!
    Lee
    NEPMTBA

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    OP, I've sent you a PM with some other info but I also have this to say ....

You should look for the groups SAMBA Bikers (Susquehanna Area Mountain Bike Association - SAMBA), Lehigh Valley Mtn Bikers (Home | VMB - Lehigh Valley, PA Mountain Bike Club), York Area Mtn Bike Assoc (YAMBA.org - The York Area Mountain Bike Association - York, PA), and maybe also the Mtn Bikers of Michaux (Mountain Bikers of Michaux) for event/ride/info.

Up in my neck of the woods there is a fair amount of activity, weekly...

- Tues 6pm social ride at Francis Slocum SP
    - Wed 6pm social ride at Moon Lake Park
    - Thurs 6pm Valley Cycles shop ride (could be road, trail, or more options)
    - Fri nothing is "fixed" but there are often 6pm rides called in a couple places
    - Sat 10am Moon Lake "Ladies and Beginners" usually happens

You are of course welcome to visit our neck of the woods.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Check out BAMBA and Duryea DH easy shuttles,from flow to a WC training run I designed with Neko Mulally of TWR.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Go explore Michaux State Forest. The whole stretch from Pine Grove on down to Caledonia is beautiful and loaded with challenging trails and fireroads. I had a blast living down there. Look into Rothrock State Forest near State College too.