mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Neversink Mountain

Anyone else ride here? That's the only place I've been riding in the past few months. There are trails all over the mountain that aren't on the map and as such I haven't found the whole loop yet. I keep getting lost, but the trails I have found are great fun if a bit rough. I ride a hardtail, and there are sections that make me wish I had a dual! There's plenty of climbing, and a lot of gradual, but extremely rocky inclines. I keep losing the main loop as it isn't really marked too well, but there are some strange landmarks like "witch's hat" which is an old pavillion built in 1892 that looks like a witch's hat with the roof. It's covered in graffiti, but it's a great lookout point and its cool to see yourself on the same level (abouts) as the Pagoda!

The trail kicks my ass and seeing as how I got lost I ended up with 20 more miles on my odo. I will be feeling it. Great trails though. Any locals hit that one?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    There are several nice loops and hidden single track,if you take the time to explore,watch the private property owners,they don't take to mtn bikers trespassing.I don't ride there much anymore,Antietam and Mt Penn have much more area and diversity,just finished puting in some new technical and flow single track.no maps and few marked trails,worth exploring to appriciate.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Great! I live right here in Mt Penn, but was a bit wary of some of the unmarked trails simply because I haven't had the time to just explore. I will definitely do so in the future.

Inbred Homebrewer
    I rode there a few times ~ 10+ yrs ago when I was in college (can't beleive it's been that long :roll. I remember it being pretty rocky, but that's about all. I didn't have a map or anything, so I used to just ride around looking for trails.

Also used to do some climbing there. The sandstone slabs can be a lot of fun, but were unusually friable, iirc. Sh!tloads of poison ivy, too.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

---
    Jan 2007
    Neversink isn't bad but getting a good loop is tough with the mix of private and city land. Last ride up there was on road bikes after hitting some hefty paved climbs before hand giving some friends a tour of local roads. Fun but not a weekly desintation.

Like readingracing said if you have the time hit Mt Penn. Trails are somewhat marked but if you can keep your head straight in relation to what paved roads you cross it's not hard to navigate. Took my gps with a bunch of times but never hit all the trails at one shot which would make the closest map I've ever seen.

Start off at Antietam lake and head uphill towards the Pagoda. It might take a little time but you'll find your way. Good mix of singletrack, fireroad, and freeride terrain all in a smallish area.

Readingracing - what have you been working on? Spotted a new section near Angora and Haag the other week...
    lockring not included - mandatory blog link in the signature

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    New trails above Antietam off of List road,and across List rd near old railroad bed.nice section below firetower,and a sick technical parallel to Duryea drive on Reading side,nothing marked but if you take the time and explore you will be rewarded.

---
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by readingracing
    New trails above Antietam off of List road,and across List rd near old railroad bed.nice section below firetower,and a sick technical parallel to Duryea drive on Reading side,nothing marked but if you take the time and explore you will be rewarded.
    Think I found a bit of it today. Road some of stuff near the rr bed; nice and twisty, looks promising. Never knew that was an old rr bed before but spotted lots of old rock walls and that cave a while back. Trails were in good shape even with Fridays rain. Think I also road the tech parallel to Duryea though I got over my head a bit there. Good stuff.
    lockring not included - mandatory blog link in the signature

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    If your up in the Mt. Penn firetower area there are plenty of trails, however there are also some nice trails down the road starting at rotary park and ending at the resevoir.

A small group of us has been busy since January maintaining and rebuilding most of the more popular existing DH/FR trails there originally built by either a few members on the former reading racing team, or some of the devoted long time local freeriders. All the DH/FR oriented runs should be all leaf blown and raked. We carved a few new lines on the existing trails, and got about 1.5 new trails built there as well, one, if you can find it has one of the most challenging wall rides you'll hit (def harder than FU's wallride) haha. This sounds like more of an XC/road oriented thread now tho, so I'll leave you guys be. Just don't cut too much mtn laurel down while ur up in the area...